Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends, last evening I finally installed the NOS front lower air dam. Have not had one since I done a total restore on the 96 about 5/6 years back. Anyways... while laying on the garage floor looking up at the air dam I noticed that it appears I am missing something? OK... the corners of each air dam deflectors connect by three screws to the bottom of the wheelhouse extensions. Now if you look at the ends of the wheelhouse extensions (ends nearest the core support) you will notice there is a hole in each one that looks like it is to accommodate a fastener? Possibly there is a plastic tray that goes between each one that would cover the open space between the bumper cover and the core support?

I don't ever remember removing one when I tore the car down for restoration, and again I don't remember what I had for breakfast either!

Your professional advise is much needed and welcomed. Thanks to all.

Larry

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Possibly to install the air-dam ends for the 9C1 ,which were different.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
As offered, SS look like boomerang. 9CI start the same at the center piece, then S-shape (?to divert air to brakes more = uglier but reported more efficient).

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I didn't explain it properly. This has nothing to do with the 3 piece air deflector. This is something that looks like it should attach to the end of each wheelhouse extension, something that would fill the hole you see when you look straight down into the area between the core support and the bumper cover. In the first picture you can see the whole in the end of the wheelhouse extension, there is a matching hole at the end of the opposite wheelhouse extension. Picture two show the opening I am talking about. Just looks like it should be covered?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
There should be a screw that attaches the wheelhouse extension to the side of the core support.

There is a tree retainer/fastener that holds the extension to the side baffle for the radiator. It is inserted from the radiator side.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
The radiator side baffles are the same for the 91-93 Caprice, RMW, and 91-92 OCC. The 91-93 are different from the 94-96 Caprice/Impala. The RMS baffles are different from the Caprice, wagons and Impala. The part is two piece, and is stapled together. There are places to cut out for the oil cooler lines for the 94-96 cars and the 93 9C1. You may be able to use them interchangeably, but where the 91-93s attach to the front bumper support uses tree fasteners, and the 94-96 have cutouts that fit between the top and bottom of the bumper support. If the 94-96 bumper support has the holes for the tree fasteners, you can use the earlier ones.

The radiator air comes mostly from the bottom, so this is for the most part a bottom breather. That is why they put the airdams on the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts