Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'95 RMW...I want to upgrade my front door speakers. When I do, will the concert sound tweeters still work? And what is the largest size speaker that will fit in the door without any modification?

·
Registered
806 Posts
'95 RMW...I want to upgrade my front door speakers. When I do, will the concert sound tweeters still work? And what is the largest size speaker that will fit in the door without any modification?
the tweeters will still work, unless you disconnect them when wiring up the new speakers.

6.5 I belive. Dont quote me. But im unfimilar with Concert sound.

http://www.impalassforum.com/tech/audio/door_speakers/door_template.htm
I think they're the over-sized 6.5's (6-3/4)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yes, the door main speakers are oversize 6.5". The template is not needed if you go with the same size speaker. [The template was made for the Chevy's that got stuck with 4x6 door speakers.]

The tweeters are in parallel. If you just replace the main speaker, then the tweeter will continue to work.

Are you still running the stock speakers with an aftermarket head unit? I am still running the stock speakers and am very satisfied with them EXCEPT for the tweeters which have both blown. The stock main speakers do have a resonant peak in the upper midrange which can be annoying some songs, but the bass is very good for OEM.

Some people have used the template to fit an 8" speaker in the door. The choice of speaker is limited because of depth consideration.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the door main speakers are oversize 6.5". The template is not needed if you go with the same size speaker. [The template was made for the Chevy's that got stuck with 4x6 door speakers.]

The tweeters are in parallel. If you just replace the main speaker, then the tweeter will continue to work.

Are you still running the stock speakers with an aftermarket head unit? I am still running the stock speakers and am very satisfied with them EXCEPT for the tweeters which have both blown. The stock main speakers do have a resonant peak in the upper midrange which can be annoying some songs, but the bass is very good for OEM.

Some people have used the template to fit an 8" speaker in the door. The choice of speaker is limited because of depth consideration.
I think you cursed me LOL. My drivers side tweeter blew last night. It comes and goes, but for the most part I think it's dead, a lot static and distortion. So what now? Sould I just install some aftermarket tweeters when I replace the speakers?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think you cursed me LOL. My drivers side tweeter blew last night. It comes and goes, but for the most part I think it's dead, a lot static and distortion. So what now? Sould I just install some aftermarket tweeters when I replace the speakers?
Get 6-3/4 components, but it sounds like you have a loose wire.

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you going to keep the stock deck?
No. I have a Pioneer 6000ub installed.

right... and if you want to take the risk, you can try to take the factory tweeter off of the bezel and mount the tweeter from the component set inside the door. there's an open piece of sheet metal behind the factor tweeter... there's a chance you might break the bezel trying to get the factory tweeter off though.
I'm going to check for loose wires before I make that move, because today the tweeter seemed like it was working fine.:confused:
If the stock tweeter does turn out to be good, I'm just going to throw in some 6.5" and be done with it. It's my daily driver, so I'm not really looking to throw that much money into it, just want to have something that sounds decent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts