Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on a 96 Caprice with LT1. Drove a friend's 95 SS yesterday and couldn't believe the difference in acceleration. I understood the tranny was the same, but the SS sure shifted quicker. The rear gearing must be different also. While I'm at it, is the steering gear quicker on the SS?:confused:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have been working on a 96 Caprice with LT1. Drove a friend's 95 SS yesterday and couldn't believe the difference in acceleration. I understood the tranny was the same, but the SS sure shifted quicker. The rear gearing must be different also. While I'm at it, is the steering gear quicker on the SS?:confused:
Is your's a 9C1?

Is your friend's car modified?

ALL Impala SS's had 3.08s from the factory.

9C1's and SS's had a quicker steering ratio than civilian models.

He may also have procured a "cop chip", "giving the car more horsepower than the general public would have!":)

·
Registered
447 Posts
"Cop Chip" ?? What Cop Chip?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some of the codes on my Caprice:

B4U : PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, SPORT
FE3 : SUSPENSION SYSTEM, SPORT
GW9 : AXLE REAR, 2.93 RATIO (DUP WITH GU3)
G80 : AXLE POSITRACTION, LIMITED SLIP
M30 : TRANSMISSION, AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60E, ELECTRONIC

·
Registered
358 Posts
You have 2.93 gears, he has 3.08. Not much difference but you'll notice it. Does your friend have any mods? PCM tuning alone is going to make a huge difference in the shift feel.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Here are some of the codes on my Caprice:

B4U : PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, SPORT
FE3 : SUSPENSION SYSTEM, SPORT
GW9 : AXLE REAR, 2.93 RATIO (DUP WITH GU3)
G80 : AXLE POSITRACTION, LIMITED SLIP
M30 : TRANSMISSION, AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60E, ELECTRONIC
The final drive ratio (3.08 vs 2.93) and tire diameter difference combine to give the Impala SS an acceleration advantage....this assumes both are completely stock.

Everything else in the driveline is same or nearly so....Impala SS has a different driveshaft tuned for higher maximum RPM, since the Z-rated tires of the SS allowed the PCM program to be set for a much higher speed--the B4U car has an imposed speed limit (PCM fuel shutoff) based on the tires offered in production, which were probably S (108 mph) or T (112 mph) rating.

Steering gear is essentially, if not exactly, the same as SS and 9C1. SS came with better shocks, and the wider tires probably turn better and give more feedback through steering compared to the "skinnies" on the B4U.

·
Registered
358 Posts
......or possibly 2.53(?) gears in which case there'd be a significant difference.

KW
I would agree with you, but he had already posted he has 2.93 gears :p

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
All B4U's also got the mechanical fan, where as SS's and 9C1's are electric. According to the shop manual that steals / robs 10 HP and 20 Ft Lbs of Torque and this would be very noticeable. Especially that 20 Ft Lbs of Torque and especially if the Mech Fan clutch has failed full engaged and on.

Answer: Convert to electric fans, ASAP.

Steve

10 Posts
All B4U's also got the mechanical fan, where as SS's and 9C1's are electric. According to the shop manual that steals / robs 10 HP and 20 Ft Lbs of Torque and this would be very noticeable. Especially that 20 Ft Lbs of Torque and especially if the Mech Fan clutch has failed full engaged and on.

Steve
It's no where near that much, I've run without the mech fan and notice very little in the way of a performance increase, just a lot of reduced noise.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts

Steve
Good point, but.....if I'm not mistaken, B4U's did not automatically get V08 HD cooling, which was the mechanical fan. In other words, I'm fairly certain that the electric fans were installed on B4U unless V08 was selected as an option--let's ask RCA1 to tell us....does the car have V03 or V08?

I used to think the same thing, but when I looked further, discovered that fan configuration (tow package equipment) was optional on B4U.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The tag says I have a V08, which must be a mechanical fan, 'cause that's what I see.
I really was surprised at the difference in acceleration. The SS was a beater with 155K hard miles (kept outside in Michigan) and mine has 102K pampered miles (my folks) kept in a garage.
I used advice from this forum to purchase H&R lowering springs and compatible Bilstein shocks - what an improvement in handling (and appearance)!
Thanks for all the help. If I'm hearing it correctly, it sounds like a little lower gear and/or computer reprogramming. Any advice there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I forgot to mention - I did install a K&N air intake system (removing the home plate, etc.) and 2.5" Jegs cat-back exhaust as the only "performance" mods.

The SS I was comparing with was totally stock.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Bill the B-body LT1 cars all received the same driveshaft. BB is the designation, as I have the original blue prints in front of me. The SS did not get a special driveshaft. Their were units that were balanced together with the rear end, but they were not put in any particular vehicle per Spartus's thread many moons ago.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
The tag says I have a V08, which must be a mechanical fan, 'cause that's what I see...Any advice there?
RCA1, IMHO, convert to electric fans (V03). On my 94 B4U and my 94 RMW, they both had V08, that is what I did, and yes, I could notice the difference in acceleration. Before I did the convert my 96 WX3 would spank them, but after the convert they were equal.

2.93 vs 3.08 no change...

Try 3.42 or 3.73, but do the V03 first, ...YMMV.

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.