Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to find out if my water pump was going out, what signs to look for. The car does not overheat but after you cut it off, radiator fluid comes out of the cap. I just replaced the thermostat to see if that would fix issue but it doesn't, Any suggestions on what to look for?

1995 Caprice 4.3

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
I wanted to find out if my water pump was going out, what signs to look for. The car does not overheat but after you cut it off, radiator fluid comes out of the cap. I just replaced the thermostat to see if that would fix issue but it doesn't, Any suggestions on what to look for?

1995 Caprice 4.3

weap hole on the underside of the WP, if it leaks its bad...no warning...its bad

overheating is another sign.

if water is coming out the CAP (where the stats goes) you didnt put it on right/tight enough.

you dont need a gaskit for the stat, thats the point of that rubber around the edge of the stat.

thanks
Wolf

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
It bubbles back out of the radiator cap.
the rad cap needs to be pressurized, so you could have a bad cap.

i assume you recently did some type of service....have you bleed the system?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had the AC clutch removed due to it being damaged due to it grinding metal to metal until I get the entire AC compressor replaced. Nothing other than that.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Replace the radiator cap. Easy fix. Use the 18# '96 Cap.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Yes, that is it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced the cap & the issue has stopped. I rode for 20 mins then parked & no fluid out of the cap. Thanks Guys for the $5.32 fix.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
overheating is another sign......

Wolf

Uh oh. This is interesting. As long as there's no air in the system all I can think of is a sheared driveshaft? An eaten up impeller? Is that what you're referring to? :confused: Do those things happen?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Radiator caps was BUSTED...Broken pieces & all. It was the original cap which makes it @ 15 years old.

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
These caps can and do fail to hold pressure properly. Autozone has a cap test kit you can rent to check the cap pressure. Mine was bleeding off at 6psi instead of 18. Replaced it, now I'm good to go.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Can this Happen??

Uh oh. This is interesting. As long as there's no air in the system all I can think of is a sheared driveshaft? An eaten up impeller? Is that what you're referring to? :confused: Do those things happen?
My wagon is running with the temp guage at about halfway...trid bleeding. Guage stays the same once t-stat opens, could be cruising at 70, or idling 5 minutes, air temp about 35. Top hose is warm, lower hose is cold. Seems like water pump is not pumping...any ideas?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Why is this instead of a standard 15# cap?
The pre-'96 15# stock caps are getting harder to find. The '96 stock 18# are easier and have no affect on the system. GM must have decided they were an improvement since they didn't make any other changes to the system other than the use of the Dexcool(maybe that had something to do with the reason, but I can't think of what).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts