Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to take the car to vegas,but have never towed a car this heavy :eek: ,what kind of truck should I try to use? I was thinking ford excurusion or something simular.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We will be towing an Impala across country 3 times this year...at least. All I have is my Tahoe. I'm hoping it works....if not
we are in trouble -- or else somebody is going to have to DRIVE their car!! Ahem!! :D

Taking one SS from LA to Iowa via Houston in March, Iowa to Vegas and back in June and then probably to Dallas and back in October. The Tahoe has been great for everything else. Just hope it comes thru for this!

This is one thread I will be watching very closely!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Karen:
We will be towing an Impala across country 3 times this year...at least. All I have is my Tahoe. I'm hoping it works....if not
we are in trouble -- or else somebody is going to have to DRIVE their car!! Ahem!! :D
And we know THAT ain't gonna happen! :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm towing mine to Vegas with my new Silverado SS. What ever you tow with check the towing weight specs to make sure it will handle the Impalas weight.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SSmothie,

I just bought a new Silverado SS my self, and I was thinking on using it to tow my Impala as well, I just hope is strong enough to haul such a heavy car.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That Silverado SS has more than enough motor to haul our heavy car. I have no idea on the frame and springs, tires, load rating, towing rating.

The guys I see towing all have big Ford Diesels and they love them.

But I went with a light duty, quiet and smooth daily driven Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L Vortec gas engine. It can haul 8000+ pounds. I have a 2000lb trailer and a 4000lb car so I'm good on the load. The truck hauled from Maryland to Tulsa and Back, Maryland to Atlanta and back, and many ECIRS races in 2003. This Chevy has plenty of pulling power and maybe not enough stopping power, but enough for prudent drivers who don't follow cars too closely. It pulls my car on trailer very smoothly with no sway and without a weight distribution hitch.

If you are looking for a towing vehicle, you can maybe consider that 2x4 gives slightly more towing capacity and takes the overall cost way down compared to 4x4. Nothing wrong with 4x4 though.
3.73 gears at a minimum and 4.10's prefered.

With the 6.0L that Silverado SS has, you guys will have plenty of pulling power. Just keep attention to the most important thing about towing and that is the ability to stop the rig.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have any experience with a SUV type vehicle other than a Suburban? I am curious. Everything else I have pulled with my Tahoe has handled well but I am a little concerned about 6000 pounds worth. According to everything I read, the towing capacity is right, my gears are right. I would like to know more about the handling on a set-up like this.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate you guys with those silverado SS trucks :D
I wish I could get one.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use a 2500 Avalanche to tow my ride and I almost forgot it was back there :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Although I have yet to tow my car, I have towed a couple of friends' cars behind my...

2002 2500HD Silverado CrewCab 4x4 with a ground-pounding 496ci. Vortec getting a whopping 10mpg city and 14mpg highway.

:D ;) :cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've towed both my SS and my '68 Camaro on a flatbed (separately) behind my '98 Chev 3/4 ton 2WD with the Vortech 350 and manual tranny. Absolutely no problems other than acceleration was so slow I almost got beat by a fart-piper. LOL.

Towing hasn't been a problem. Braking takes a little importance because it gets long. Over rough roads it gets a little old. Not as nice as the Camaro back there, but what do you expect with a load like the SS?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Jose:
SSmothie,

I just bought a new Silverado SS my self, and I was thinking on using it to tow my Impala as well, I just hope is strong enough to haul such a heavy car.
Cool Jose, tow capability is up to 7,500-lbs. Should be ok with the right trailer with brakes. Have you checked out the www.silveradossforum.com yet.

Clay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts