Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went through smog test here in Calif. "Star Test Only" is what I get flagged for every 2 years. Full colonic. Tail pipe, visual and plug in. All but 1 IM must show ready. All mine do...thanks to "tuning" :)

Car passed but like 2 years ago the HC was right at the limit (car has 7,200 more miles than the last test

Guy says CA is lowering the threshold every year to get old cars off the road

My 20 year smog test records call BS on that...count limits have actually risen some

He said if he passes to many older cars like this he risks losing his license...another BS claim like he did me some form of favor for taking my $79 for the Fing test

Sooo I google and see WTF the pass/fail limits are in CA for my vehicle...the link below says 45...not FING 37 like what was shown as MAX allowed

This whole smog test crap is just that CRAP

I am going to go back and ask this puke to explain this link

https://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/pubwebquery/cutpoints/ShowResult.aspx?VLTROWID=26973

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Hey
BALLSS, Did he offer to take your car off your hands? "Just to do you a favor" 0:)
Yeah and I thought of you the other night at the concert. The lighting got my attention.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just went through smog test here in Calif. "Star Test Only" is what I get flagged for every 2 years. Full colonic. Tail pipe, visual and plug in. All but 1 IM must show ready. All mine do...thanks to "tuning" :)

Car passed but like 2 years ago the HC was right at the limit (car has 7,200 more miles than the last test

Guy says CA is lowering the threshold every year to get old cars off the road

My 20 year smog test records call BS on that...count limits have actually risen some

He said if he passes to many older cars like this he risks losing his license...another BS claim like he did me some form of favor for taking my $79 for the Fing test

Sooo I google and see WTF the pass/fail limits are in CA for my vehicle...the link below says 45...not FING 37 like what was shown as MAX allowed

This whole smog test crap is just that CRAP

I am going to go back and ask this puke to explain this link

https://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/pubwebquery/cutpoints/ShowResult.aspx?VLTROWID=26973
The site isn’t the same as what the machines pull from a database.
Whole smog thing is a cash cow/power grab by a bunch of corrupt car hating folks.
Just kills aftemarket industry, we’d have so many more cool products w/o their meddling and ridiculously expensive certification program.

Ask heavy diesel truck folks what they think about CA BAR. Think we have it bad, imagine the cost to owner/operators and businesses that have large fleets.

Forget the insanity that is visual inspection..
WTF does it matter what’s under the hood if it passes?
I despise all things smog!
Smog REALLY rubs me wrong way.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone has smog #'s for their 383 h/C motor....would be curious how they compare to mine......although motor & CAT temp varies for each car.

I have had tests 300 miles apart and there was a 10 point reduction in HC on 1st test and 2nd test 300 mi later showed 37.

I could always throw a 185 stat in to try and raise engine temp some so CATS run hotter....although the lowered fan temp may mitigate the 185 stat, IDK
I have always just driven in and passed smog tests....if they do keep lowering the HC threshold I will have to make adjustments to get the CATS to run hotter.....or find a "friendly" pay for pass shop

Fortunately I don't have to think bout it for another 2 years

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this IM240 treadmill or idle and loaded ?

Could always go for the old, 1000 rpm idle and pull a crapload of timing deal.

About the time the headers are melting, just about anything will pass :)

Will try and find my LS7 results ,
They do the car on rollers at 15 mph and 25 mph (rpm/mph on printout)

Not sure what gear operator was in....he was somewhat stick challenged

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Does California have a cutoff year for smogged vehicles. My car makes you think you've been tear gassed when sitting at a red light. Where does the Cali exemption start. A bone stock 50 Ford probably wouldn't pass. Are you allowed to do engine swaps out there on the left coast? Ky has no vehicle inspections, smog or anything. Hell, rail buggies are street legal here. Hot Rod Heaven.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Does California have a cutoff year for smogged vehicles. My car makes you think you've been tear gassed when sitting at a red light. Where does the Cali exemption start. A bone stock 50 Ford probably wouldn't pass. Are you allowed to do engine swaps out there on the left coast? Ky has no vehicle inspections, smog or anything. Hell, rail buggies are street legal here. Hot Rod Heaven.
1975-older = no smog testing
Engine swaps are allowed, just need to be done correctly w/ all smog equip. then get a referee to approve it.

It's not hard to pass, it's just stupid about aftermarket parts, and the $ is annoying.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does California have a cutoff year for smogged vehicles. .

a alternative is "classic cars" are exempt....and a classic car is currently defined as being 25 years old...although the registration process for this is extremely elusive. Can't find info on state site

There are a few bills being talked about that is basically pay the state off. You pay $200 if your car fails and repair attempts have not made the car pass a smog test. These are not laws yet but being proposed but have a huge uphill battle to win

1 - 9 of 9 Posts