0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know the diff?

[ 10-23-2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: HACK ]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reality is that while it does look better, it perfoms worse.I'm embarrassed to admit how many of these things I've tried, going back to when Hotchkis first introduced their extended trailing arms.Every upper arm gave me more binding than the stock arms with rubber bushings. Because all the uppers caused more trouble than stock, it didn't matter how good the lowers were, the total effect was worse. I finally settled on aftermarket stock legnth lowers with factory uppers with just a 1X2 inch piece of galvinized flat stock welded into the middle of the upper.VERY small improvement over stock on the modified uppers,hardly worth the effort, too little gain for all the experimenting. Boxing the factory uppers was the worst thing I tried. Global West and Hotchkis lowers are both terrific, can't tell them apart once installed.BMR's inferior to both.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will see such wonderful benefits as suspension binding, you could very well need a longer 5th brake line, your rearend could possibly look saggy due to the way it will tip the rear springs slightly over thus causing them to not hold the car at quite the same height anymore, and also there is effectively less weight over the axle in a static point of view, so your off the line traction will be worse. It won't be a major change, but it will be a change.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't even consider boxing the upper control arms or welding anything additional into them at all. They NEED to flex to keep the suspension from binding.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...but that is not all!!

Don't forget it will put more weight on the front axle on an already front heavy car. And, it will do something funky with the rear springs....the extended length control arms move the bottom spring perch but not the top. Huh!? can't be good.

I gotta admit they do look pretty cool though...

:D

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot, it also makes it MUCH harder to find a tire/rim combo that is as wide as you want that will fit without rubbing.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now you all confuse me.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The Later 95 and ALL 96 Impss come with extended length control arms.

So, why haven't I read all about the above problems from those people?

Just wondering since I'm going to finally put my Extended length Metco uppers and lowers on. They've been sitting in my garage for over 3 years now.

Tim.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Correct me if I'm wrong. The Later 95 and ALL 96 Impss come with extended length control arms."

You're wrong. Consider yourself corrected. ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by HuSSker:
"Correct me if I'm wrong. The Later 95 and ALL 96 Impss come with extended length control arms."

You're wrong. Consider yourself corrected. ;)
The updated the rear lower control arms (I forget exactly when) to change how the swaybar mounts...but they're the same length, 1977(76?)-1996...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew there was something that was done back there

I swear though that there I've seen stock 96's without the offset rear wheels.

Oh well. Not the first, nor last time I've "seen things".

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had the Metco extended uppers and lowers for 2 years now and they have been great. I have not notice any suspension binding. I had to do something as my HA rear bar made mincemeat of the stock lowers. It is actually a good thing I had then when I did my LS1/T56 swap because I needed to adjust the driveshaft angles to get everything setup right.

They are are not up to date, but here are some pictures.
swap pictures

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have BMRs and have had them on for like 1k miles, i love them but the extention adds to much annoyance.....i now need to move my rear-end snuber so it works.....i think 3/4in is a little much....i think hotchkis nails it with 1/2in extention...... but i have not seen one in person......

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh yea PS is i were to do it over again, and looks were not on the menu....they i would stay stock....but my imp is looks and go......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts