Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright...I would like to run the Crane 227 (104227) with the CM 1.6 RR and Springs kit in my 95 RMW.

I have 3.42 gears, but plan on going steeper in the future.

A converter is in the pic, but not until I need to change the trans.

Is this possible? Or a waste of time? :confused:

`Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's possible, you may notice less torque at low rpm, but it will be lively above 2500 rpm or so.
The GM 845 or comp 304 would be good too. Most all cams like a higher stall cam to get you into the power band sooner. Most would do the 1.6 RRs or heads and higher stall first because they are easier than a cam change.
Once you start the cam change you start thinking about rebuilding or replacing everything while you're at it and it runs up the tab fast.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Brokecello:
Allright...I would like to run the Crane 227 (104227) with the CM 1.6 RR and Springs kit in my 95 RMW.

I have 3.42 gears, but plan on going steeper in the future.

A converter is in the pic, but not until I need to change the trans.

Is this possible? Or a waste of time? :confused:

`Chris
You will see some ET performance improvement.
BUT you need a good Street Converter from EDGE or other competing brand to really feel it.

Also 3.42's are fine. But suggest 3.73. You will not have to go steeper again. The Gears and Converter are a full 1.5 second improvement with the stock cam. The 227 will give you another 4 tenths.

IMHO save the money for the Tranny and Converter.
If the tranny is good add a Transgo kit first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to have to agree with Dan on this one. Make the converter part of the plan.
I am the guy in the link that ZimRandy posted. I love the setup but it seems to be missing something off the line. The converter seems to be the missing link.

When I started this, I thought the same as you. Run the stock tranny until it blows. Well, a year later, still going. I will be putting in an edge 3000 stall soon. From everything I have read, it's going to make a big difference.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Dennis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said before, I'd do the 1.6RR's and springs and headers first and see how you like it. You'll need the headers for the cam to see its full potential anyways.

I think your 3.42's will be just fine. They're a big improvement over the stockers. And it's not enough of a difference in ratio to warrant changing to 3.73's. If you want, you can drive my 4.10'd Impala Sunday. I decided to take it instead of the wagon.

If you're staying auto, you'll definately want a converter to maximize the set up. Definately.

And also, as I mentioned before, it'd be a good idea to replace the oil pump and bearings if you do the cam. Not neccessary, but good PM. Some (but not all) guys spin their bearings shortly after doing a cam due to the higher RPM's the motor will see and the stock pump not being able to keep adequate oil pressure up at those new, higher RPM's. Like I said, not a lot, but enough to make me do it that way next time...

Personal experience: I had about 25K or so on my ZZ3 cam (less than 100K total on the motor) in the caddy when I pulled it. I didn't change the oil pump when I did the cam. Most of my mains (and some rods) were down to the copper! Woulda spun one shortly. And that was a MILD cam! Take it FWIW and YMMV.

So... If you're gonna do that (HV Melling pump and bearings), you may as well pull the motor for easier access, and it's not all that difficult to do. While the motor's out, do your converter.

Good luck! :D

[ 08-24-2006, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: toomanytoyz ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! ....I also have one more question...

Will I pull and break stock press in 3/8 studs with springs, 1.6 rocker and a cc305 or 227??

It's looking like RR's/Springs and a Converter might be the proper direction....

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Brokecello:
Thanks guys! ....I also have one more question...

Will I pull and break stock press in 3/8 studs with springs, 1.6 rocker and a cc305 or 227??

It's looking like RR's/Springs and a Converter might be the proper direction....

Chris
Yes (most likely), for the 305 anyways. I was breaking press-in studs with my ZZ3 and the CM springs. if not, you'll probably pull them out of the head.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Broke:

Bill echo's some very good points about replacing bearings & oil pump. Having been in/out of a few motors in some of my cars I would "rebuild" any motor with over 80,000 miles on it if doing a cam.

The cam and TC basically need to be looked at as a "matched" set in terms of when the TC stalls and the cam comes into its power range. When I did have the auto in the SS I ran a Hughes 2200 stall TC. They have a great writeup in their tech info on how a TC works with a cam.

IMHO the 2200-2400 stall, small cam, 1:6 RR, good springs, headers and 3:42's was one very sweet package, very streetable and plenty of low end TQ. If it is ALL about the 1/4 mile then go 3:73's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.