Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
didnt really know where to put this so i figured here is a good spot, i have a 96 impala that does have a tow hitch on the rear, im actually in the process of looking for a older 18-22 foot airstream trailer and the weight of the trailers is around 2000-2500 lbs and 350 lbs on the reciver end. can our cars safely tow this? keep in mind i live in fl so we dont exactly have mountains or anythign like that but it may go to tn so it may see some terain. any input would be apreciated

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I believe that Caprices with the tow package are rated to tow 5000 lbs. The SS and 9C1 have even better rear gearing and most all the HD options the tow package cars received, so it should be able to handle the same.

The transmission is the weakest link. Avoid overdrive when towing, just use regular drive when towing in hilly areas or off the interstate. On flat ground, it may or may not do well in OD, just experiment a little.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
didnt really know where to put this so i figured here is a good spot, i have a 96 impala that does have a tow hitch on the rear, im actually in the process of looking for a older 18-22 foot airstream trailer and the weight of the trailers is around 2000-2500 lbs and 350 lbs on the reciver end. can our cars safely tow this? keep in mind i live in fl so we dont exactly have mountains or anythign like that but it may go to tn so it may see some terain. any input would be apreciated
With my wagon (3:08's in the rear, rear drums, etc....) I tow 2000 lbs all the time. Pop-up camper is 17xx lbs dry, add people (6), bikes (5), canoe (1), tools, food, probably about 2,500 lbs. plus the addition of 500lbs. of wagon. I had the cruise set at 72 in OD with some hills, but not really steep. I have a Sonnax shift kit which helps it to stay in OD as well. I did put airbags in the rear springs to level her out and an Impala sway bar to keep it from wagging. No problemo..........................

·
Registered
540 Posts
Towed a Pontiac Grand Prix on a trailer once, about 4000lbs in all, with the 305 and the 2.56 rear. Gets kinda nervous over 50 mph, wouldn't recommed it for long distances. Then again it was the first time I towed anything over 1000lbs so maybe it just takes getting used to.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I've been to meets where imps have been towing a trailer with another imp on it.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Make sure you have the right hitch too. I rarely see anything but a class 1 on a B-body and I wouldn't tow more than a jet ski with it. Check the towing rating sticker on the hitch. If it doesn't have a sticker better do some diligent homework. Also with camper trailers you need to know the difference between empty weight and loaded weight. Full fresh, black and grey water tanks add up. All your gear adds up. I would also have electric trailer brakes too. Talk to an RV store, they will make sure you got what it takes to tow safely. Trying to half ass it like most people do puts your life and the life of other motorists in danger. Plus it could ruin a vacation fast.

~HJ

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
If you are going to be towing regularly, you might want to consider a Transgo kit and maybe an auxiliary trans cooler.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Make sure you have the right hitch too. I rarely see anything but a class 1 on a B-body and I wouldn't tow more than a jet ski with it. Check the towing rating sticker on the hitch. If it doesn't have a sticker better do some diligent homework. Also with camper trailers you need to know the difference between empty weight and loaded weight. Full fresh, black and grey water tanks add up. All your gear adds up. I would also have electric trailer brakes too. Talk to an RV store, they will make sure you got what it takes to tow safely. Trying to half ass it like most people do puts your life and the life of other motorists in danger. Plus it could ruin a vacation fast.

~HJ
Well said............

·
Registered
421 Posts
anyone tried towing with a L99? i know it can tow because ive seen a damn mazda protege towing things around, just wondering if there was a difference in the tow load between the 9c1's and Imps vs the Civi Caprices

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I have pulled a Caprice on a tow dolly, twice with my 95 Roadmaster. This car doesn't have the towing package, but It does have some tow package springs out back, with the airlift bags. At more than 70mph, it would really start to sway. It really needed the stiffer front springs, and big sway bars. But the 2.56's were surprisingly decent. 3rd gear and 60mph was just about perfect.

A caprice with the 4.3 would handle the same 5000lbs load, so long as it had the suspension updated with the stiffer springs and big sway bars. We used to pull our 31' Airstream with 91-95 Lincoln Town Cars, with the Ford 4.6. The the Hp and powerband on a Ford 4.6, and chevy 4.3 are virtually the same. Those Town cars also had a very soft suspension. Think about as soft as the non-towing package Roadmaster/ Caprice.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
anyone tried towing with a L99? i know it can tow because ive seen a damn mazda protege towing things around, just wondering if there was a difference in the tow load between the 9c1's and Imps vs the Civi Caprices
What you can do and what you should do are two different things. A not-too-big U-haul with the L99 might be OK, but there was a reason for the B4U Towing Package for the civvie Caprices. Towing heavy stuff regularly or long distances with underpowered cars does not have a good result no matter how many idiots you may see doing it. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
421 Posts
lol how do you know? i was thinking of buying 5x7 box trailer with on axel to haul my dj equipment, it would have at max 500 pounds inside, that shoult be okay shouldnt it?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
lol how do you know? i was thinking of buying 5x7 box trailer with on axel to haul my dj equipment, it would have at max 500 pounds inside, that shoult be okay shouldnt it?
Sure, you will be fine. I once overestimated the towing and load capacity of a Mercedes 190E sedan. I was in a spot and needed for it do be done and against all advice, I proceeded. The trip got completed, not without some delay, but I ended up with a burned valve, headgasket problem, and a host of other problems that cost some $$ to fix. Interestingly, the transmission held up great! An L99 is a power monster compared to that.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
A 4L60E [re]built to L99 specs is NOT meant to work or play to the same degree as 4L60E [re]built to work and play with larger engines. Have your transmission seriously rebuilt for the purpose.

The L99 4.3L V8 wasn't designed/spec'd to tow 5,000 + lbs either.

If you can afford it, seriously consider 3.42 or 3.73 rear gears. That, plus proper custom PCM reprogramming, will allow you to tow in 'OD' with no worries.

With 3.23, 3.08, 2.93, tow in 'D', or at least get your PCM the proper custom reprogramming to protect your engine.

L99 Caprices with 3.23 and 2.93 were rated to tow 3,000 lbs.
L99 Caprices with 2.73 were not tow rated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts