Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sup amigos,
I'm almost in the middle of a complete front end overhaul with a bunch of moog bits. Took the arms off and took a look at em and found one of the lowers had a piece of the shell broken off, probly done on install. What I found to be odd is that the rubber looks like it was pressed in after the fact and not sure of that's even possible.
Reason for the repair is that I would get a scary wheel camber type shift when turning a corner at speed. Low speed sharp turns feel like the wheel is ready to turn over.

Anyway, looking forward to getting this car riding like new, just curious about this bushing.

Pretty sure I mixed up my a-arm shims but the shop should be able to get that sorted out.

Here's the bushing:
http://96 LCA Bush https://imgur.com/gallery/KN43AjV

Thx.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
Link is not working, and you can try one of Imgur's other address formats that allows posting the picture directly into your thread. For an abrupt fold over feeling in the steering you want to make sure the ball joint has not gotten loose and wallered out the spindle hole.

A suggestion is go to the extra effort to find a shop specializing in just alignments.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
You can get a camber caster gauge on ebay for under $12 delivered from China. It sticks to your brake disk while you have the arms resting on jack stands. I have been doing my own alignments for a few years now, and I have excellent tire wear. It is really easy. You can go in for a toe and go, and you are set.

The FSM even has specs, and "one time" adjustment tables.

I made a set of toe gauges, and do my own toe settings as well.

I saved myself over $300 in front alignment costs since getting/making them, and I know the alignments are correct.

You can get a pack of assorted shims at Harbor Freight for cheap (and if you have a coupon, you can get a freebee AND a 20% discount).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Link is not working, and you can try one of Imgur's other address formats that allows posting the picture directly into your thread. For an abrupt fold over feeling in the steering you want to make sure the ball joint has not gotten loose and wallered out the spindle hole.

A suggestion is go to the extra effort to find a shop specializing in just alignments.
K I'm done trying to upload a pic from mobile, I can be slow at times and this is one of those moments.

Regarding self alignment. I'd attempt it but I dont have the time to wait for the tool, I guess I do and it might be one of those projects if I cant get the bushing replaced today for some reason. Ideally i want to get the suspension on and steering bits done this weekend...let's see how it goes...

Thx

·
Registered
11,032 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took a little break and back to the grind...done with the lowers. Going almost as good as seen on YouTube. I'm drilling the rubber then punching out the sleeve. Drilling the rest of the rubber out then punching out the shell.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...so far its 4 hours on disassembly and 4 hours to hammer out the bushings, grind off the upper joints and violently press out the lower joints.
The rubber was cracked and brittle, some of the sleeves bent and boots split open.
Not sure how I'm going to get the new pieces in because the arms dont fit in the press. Joe Blows shop is closed until tomorrow, probly.

Pics of the carnage and assortment of professional harbor freight quality tools:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Sit down have a cool drink of you favorite flavor and watch these. ( A suggestion)
&
Remember not to tighten the bushings untill you have the vehicle weight on the suspension.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok yeah - seems EZ PZ enough. I actually watched most of that series last week and forgot that he just pounded them in. Last time I did this was on my 06 goat and that's probably what has me thinking that it's harder than its turning out to be. I still dont like thinking about that weekend though I did brakes and coilovers then on top of bushings and steering parts.

Going to clean em up then spray em black before assembly.

Stay tuned...n thx

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
The upper rear control arms are another animal. I got the Moog bushings, and they did not go in easily. A press was needed, because the small end is a bit more of a press fit than what is shown.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
I'm reminded by the this entire line that if I EVER need new A-arm bushings and not upgrading the A-arms, then I intend to simply get all-new assys with the oem stamping, top bracket with bushings, and even BJs - all pre-installed. I had to replace just bushings right after getting my license - and the pain is still fresh. I'll be glad to pay the extra for the kit and slip-in convenience.

And x10 Fred on the bitch rear UCAs. Hotchkis included a collet to hammer in the new bushings with my arms in '98. It helped marginally (I still got it). I've seen guys use holed plates and thread rod to press them in, but when I tried it I obviously used too soft thread stock - stripped out and fubared everything and back to hammering in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heres a pic of what this thread was all about now that I figured out how to load pics.
Those are factory bushings and there is nothing missing. What you are seeing is where the factory "crimps" the bushing after it has been installed into the control arm in 3 places.
Ok good to know, kind of. Just making sure that it wasn't the cause of the wheel wanting to roll over sideways and wasn't done during a previous install. The car has 260k miles. So if really original then...wow. got it from a gal who dailyed it for years with. 60 mile daily commute.

96black. Comes down to time and money most of the time, you usually have more of one than the other. In this case I had both enough dineros and time but still opted for the laborious task because I'm cheap and enjoy all the time spent thus far.

Actually going out now to try to wrap it up....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What started as a simple question turns into a progress/rant thread, heres the rant ...

Word to the wise, unless you've done this before and have the proper tools just buy the complete moog A-Arms with installed bushings and ball joints.

Would I buy them in the future, if needed? maybe if I'm pressed for time or dont really care about spending the extra cpl hundred if that's what it is. With experience and the right tools the difference is extra $ vs extra 1-2 hrs in labor, or half a day in my case.

So due to not having done uppers and lowers before and not having a vice that would have really made the bushings a snap I spent the better part of the day fighting it. I used a few unconventional methods that bent the passenger lower- I hope it doesnt prevent it from being aligned. I basically bent one of the bushing mounts inward a smudge making it a beast to get in but alas I got it.
The uppers were pretty easy. I gave in at some point and rented a ball joint press and between that and my stand up press I was able to get them both on. I "hope" to have the car ready to stand on it's own tomorrow then I'll decide on doing the steering pieces then or later.

Thx to all helped/critiqued and for all that might follow.

/rant

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok - rant continues and I goofed up majorly. So on removal of upper arm shaft bolts I did use an impact to break the bolts loose. Pretty sure i jacked up the frame holes. I just ordered the bolts from Npd from one of snowman's post where he seemingly redeemed himself. I'll probably go the tack weld a washer to the outside of the frame route.

(Facepalm, really hard)

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Seemingly redeemed? WTH? It was the only time other than to pray that I got on my knees. I had ordered the wrong year Camaro bolts and thought I was good. It was early in my B body career. I've learned so much here. Something else I learned. It never ends with these cars. My engine started as a slightly warm rebuild. That went away when I found a deal on some aluminum heads.
I need more coffee. cwm3

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seemingly redeemed? WTH? It was the only time other than to pray that I got on my knees. I had ordered the wrong year Camaro bolts and thought I was good. It was early in my B body career. I've learned so much here. Something else I learned. It never ends with these cars. My engine started as a slightly warm rebuild. That went away when I found a deal on some aluminum heads.
I need more coffee.

Haha. Sorry man I was a little more pissed at myself last night than I am now for all the above and I hadn't seen that you installed them yet...

If I dont get my friends welder today I'll do the steering stuff and come back to that.

Thx

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Haha. Sorry man I was a little more pissed at myself last night than I am now for all the above and I hadn't seen that you installed them yet...

If I dont get my friends welder today I'll do the steering stuff and come back to that.

Thx
Hey Man. We're good. I was just ribbing you a little. My first post on the part # for those WAS a FUBAR. I can admit to mistakes. As I've said many times this is a great learning place. I hope your work today is not as difficult as your other jobs on your car. I was going to try and pull the frame out from under mine today. I went out and it's raining. Once I get the frame out I have to do some welding on it then rebuild the entire front end. I've had the parts for a long time. It will also get new brake and fuel lines. Then POR15/paint. All new bushings & control arms for the rear.
Keep us informed. don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All good man, appreciate that. I'm beating myself up over this more than anyone could. Many lessons learned here for me and one day it'll be done and I'll be back to thinking happy thoughts about this car, I sound like Adam sandler right there,lol.

Sounds like you're going all out with yours. I just want a solid driver for now so I can move on to other projects. I just parked my 06 goat to drive this for a while and for a minute was thinking i could sell my goat and not miss it since i like the imp so much, just a timeless all purpose comfy cruiser imho.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts