Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

What did you do to your Caprice today?

48K views 233 replies 56 participants last post by  BroBroFresh 
#1 ·
Alright. I've seen this type of thread as a sticky on other forums basically just there to make small talk about small upgrades, customizations, or whathaveyou. I'll start it off and we'll see where it goes.

This weekend I managed, with the help of a Hoosier INC brother (BuiltBySparky on here) swapping all of my stock springs and shocks for stock SS springs and Monroe HD shocks. All in all, the swap wasn't too bad. I'm definitely loving the less "floaty" ride. The SS springs were a great choice because they still maintain a very nice, yet controlled ride.

#3 ·
For what? T56 swap?

#5 ·
Sweet. It should be awesome.

#7 ·
Changed the lifters, installed / set 1.6 roller tip rockers, painted the valve covers.
Changed the tune so it stays in gear to red line, (so I can beat it
on the Dyno again) :) and Installed resonators (still didn't put the H-pipe
in yet, ogh well ...

#8 ·
I installed my tow hitch receiver on my new caprice..

Hoosier INC!

#10 ·
How'd it run?

#14 ·
Drove it until the low fuel light came on. I have had it for over a year, but I have never seen the light come on except for with the key turned without starting it. I assumed that it didn't work correctly since it goes so far pass the F when I fill it up. Looking back at some old receipts I realize that I still have 6-8 gallons in the tank when I usually fill up.

#15 ·
drop gas tank put it all back together then i thought i lost a socket in there it again then i saw i never lost the danm socket lol so i had to put it back on again

#17 ·
Yesterday I swapped all the steering components with the exception of the steering box and pitman arm with the help of a few fellow Hoosier INC members. I aligned it with a trusty 2x4. It came out pretty good all in all. The steering wheel is turned slightly to the left but it tracks straight and is stable at highway speeds. I'll get under there one of these days to straighten out the wheel.

#20 ·
Nice! Any pics?

#22 ·
Looking good!

#25 ·
Yesterday I turned my mono amp to match the direction of my 4 channel amp. My trunk is now symmetrical again. I also tuned my amp and settings on my HU a little. I then proceeded to probably piss off my neighbors while I gave myself a little demo in the garage. I don't listen to bassy music, but Wasting Light can be a pretty loud/clean album. I'll try to get some pics of my new amp and my trunk today after I tear apart my Jeep. That's today's project.

#26 ·
I drove mine for the first time in 10 months. New motor is running very good. May have a trans problem, doesn't seem to pull above 3500rpm. Anything under that though, it pulls like a train

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#29 ·
Installed an Airlift 1000 air spring kit. It works amazingly well! My car's rear went from just barely level to slightly raked with 25 psi in the cylinders. The handling is also much-improved, which considerably less wallow as I leave my driveway :).

The installation was a bit of a pain, but with the cylinders installed with the air nipples facing up (contrary to what the instructions said), I could route the air lines out by the gas tank heat shields and through the frame rails, ending up at a single connection behind the licence plate. It's super clean and completely hidden. This car is now an excellent towing and load-carrying vehicle!

#30 ·
I had the chance to get those with my SS springs. I opted against it though, for whatever reason. I kinda regret it.

#31 ·
You can always add 'em later. The kit is $88 from Amazon, and not too bad to install yourself (better than paying some schmo two hours' labour to do it, anyway :) if you're at all mechanically handy.

Now, with less room between the spring coils, as I'm assumign is the case with SS springs, it might be tougher...

#32 ·
I'd jack up the car and stuff them in between the coils. When I got the coils, they were actually already installed in there but I gave them back. I got them out by the same means. It's something I'll probably never get to, but in retrospect, I wish I kept them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.