Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
The tiewraps are not under any stress, and will not rust, so they are cheap and effective. They are only there to keep the spring from bouncing out of the seat.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
I got more done this weekend and today. The frame welding is done and today I got to finish the paint for now. Black to be final finish. While I was welding the frame I welded some 5/8th in washers to the lower control arms. The sway bar link holes wallowed a little. I had intended to powder coat the arms but decided to use the frame paint. They will be black too. I had bought some POR 15 but decided to use the Eastwood Platinum instead.(No UV problem and I can spray into tight spots.) I got a quart and then thought a little more thinking it would be better. 1 Qt. was enough for 2 coats on the frame and the control arms. I sprayed it with the cheapie HF purple gun and it worked out pretty good. IMHO. Prior to the above frame paint I had already used the EW internal frame paint. It covered pretty good too. Now I don't have to worry about it raining on my frame while I'm working on other things in the garage.

Mark: Snowman-33

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Worse than watching paint dry

I bought the last full bag of Black Diamond at Tractor Supply. It was damp so I had to lay it out on a tarp and sweep it around all day between other jobs. Finally got it dried and was able to blast my front upper control arms. While it was drying I got the third coat of black on my frame. That was drying so I decided to work on the alternator/ power steering pump bracket. The water pump I got has a raised portion that caused me to have to relieve a spot in the bracket. I got it cut out and worked on the profile of it and started to grind off the casting flash. Finally the BD dried so I could start the blasting. I also started on the gas tank straps while I was there. I ran out of the BD because of a hose coming off my pressure pot and spewing the BD all over. All in all it was a good day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
The tiewraps are not under any stress, and will not rust, so they are cheap and effective. They are only there to keep the spring from bouncing out of the seat.
I've never heard/read about this in the past so let me ask a little bit here...

Are you saying that when the suspension system in in jounce, that you have had a rear spring come out of it's "home" resting area?

I would think that in a normal state of compression that they're not going to go anywhere, and then on the suspension at it's peak travel in jounce, that the spring would still be held in there rather well because of the shock limiting that travel, and the spring still being under some compression.

So what's the scoop here Fred?

Thanx!

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
I've never heard/read about this in the past so let me ask a little bit here...

Are you saying that when the suspension system in in jounce, that you have had a rear spring come out of it's "home" resting area?

I would think that in a normal state of compression that they're not going to go anywhere, and then on the suspension at it's peak travel in jounce, that the spring would still be held in there rather well because of the shock limiting that travel, and the spring still being under some compression.

So what's the scoop here Fred?

Thanx!
The rear drop springs are so short, that they could fall out if the conditions are right. When you jack the rear to change a tire, the suspension must drop far enough to get the tire out from under the skirting. This requires a stock shock. To do so allows the axle to drop far enough that the spring no longer touches the upper spring seat. At that point, the spring can fall over, and not engage the perch. Strapping it to the lower perch alone could remedy this, but for a positive approach, trapping the spring is much preferred. I have had the springs fall out of alignment, and ended up against the frame completely behind the spring seat. It is not a stretch to have the spring completely fall from between the axle and frame, as there is no lateral support for the spring.

There may be some drop springs that will stay in contact with both spring seats even with the rear axle at full extension. The ones I have are short, and will fall out of position with the rear of the car jacked to change a tire.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
The rear drop springs are so short, that they could fall out if the conditions are right. When you jack the rear to change a tire, the suspension must drop far enough to get the tire out from under the skirting. This requires a stock shock. To do so allows the axle to drop far enough that the spring no longer touches the upper spring seat. At that point, the spring can fall over, and not engage the perch. Strapping it to the lower perch alone could remedy this, but for a positive approach, trapping the spring is much preferred. I have had the springs fall out of alignment, and ended up against the frame completely behind the spring seat. It is not a stretch to have the spring completely fall from between the axle and frame, as there is no lateral support for the spring.

There may be some drop springs that will stay in contact with both spring seats even with the rear axle at full extension. The ones I have are short, and will fall out of position with the rear of the car jacked to change a tire.
Fred,
You had me at 'drop springs...'

I didn't realize that was the case. I understand completely.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I did make these and welded them on along with the front brace. I made them from 1X2 inch flat stock and drilled & tapped them. Holes line up with stock and I have 3/8th inch ARP small head 12 point bolts for it.

Mark: snowman-33

Fear of clowns ain't got nothing on this look......

Stout brace, but I don't get it. You drilled and tapped, then welded errthing anyway?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Bob asks....

Stout brace, but I don't get it. You drilled and tapped, then welded errthing anyway?

Bob, The drilled & tapped holes are for the sway bar brackets and bushings. I don't have to worry about the slinky little speed clips in the frame. Welding makes it a lot stiffer and that's a good thing. I got the small head ARP bolts for the clearance bolting the SB on. I just made sure the holes lined up for "spec" reinstall. I didn't intend to confuse.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Ah So - a combo wonderbar and bulletproof stab bar mount = nice. You're putting together 1 helluva undercarriage there.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Hey Bob, I hope it's the right thing I'm doing. I've researched it for over 2 years and took ideas from so many on here. Scot, Choo, SSandman, Fernando, Fred and more. It should be so firm I call it my See Alice frame.>:) Today, if nothing else comes along, I'll make a stand to hang parts on for painting. Then I hope to get back on my control arms. The Moog Bushings came in the other day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Started back on my '91, last time I messed with it I had a no start due to no fuel at the injectors. Pulled the relay out and put in a diagnostic style relay bypass with an on/off and it started right up. Interestingly enough, after I put the "bad" relay in it still started up. So either I shocked some life into the pump with the on/off ability of the bypass plug, or the contacts were juuuust dirty enough to not make proper contact. Elated by my freshly running car I pressure washed all the grime off of it from sitting, and promptly blew a brake line. (n) I swear this car does not want to return to the road! :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
After a late start today. I was able to get some done on the diff. I got it completely torn down. I pulled the bearings from the ends and got the races out. The brakes were a beast. The rear sat outside for awhile and the the drums were locked on the shoes. I finally got them off and then the lower control arm bolts were so rusted and tight. I couldn't even break them loose with breaker bars or impact. (I had also heated the nuts and sprayed PB blaster on them for several days prior.) I finally had to cut the nuts with a cutoff wheel. I scraped some dirt off the housing and then took it to the car wash. I got home blew it off with air and then I tried something I had seen done on you tube. A guy used a needle scaler to get the entire thing looking a lot better. I had a scaler already. I had bought it to clean the frame on a trailer for a friend. That thing did a bang up job. It got into the nooks & crannies. Tomorrow I hope to be able to run a wire brush over it and clean it out inside some more. Then it will be time to paint.
Ever onward.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
!Ai caraba! You're back! And that's much more intelligent than stock.

So what's in place of the original ones? 6-sp? Nitrous button? hahaha

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
[snip] (n) I swear this car does not want to return to the road! :mad:
Nope. But as with any woman whose been neglected she'll need more attention than you're showing so far.......... ;)

181 - 195 of 195 Posts