Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 2325 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
From 21Dec2019...

Fix Until Broke said:
On the less visually exciting side of things, I am ~90% done documenting the electro-mechanical theory of operation of the wiper motor assembly and circuitry. This needs to be done so I can retain the park functionality of the 1996 wipers while using the 2012 BCM to control them (which does not have any "Park" functionality).

I'll post the document here for everyone's review once I'm done with it.
This has been one of the more technically challenging parts of this whole project. Mechanically everything fits in just fine, but getting 1996 it to function like it should with a 2012 controls is a challenge for sure. I believe it will involve some sort of a controller that can read in the voltage from the 2012 delay resistor circuit and 2012 BCM output to the wiper motor, then output the correct logic to the 1996 wiper motor, including the park functionality, and also output an "end of sweep" signal back to the 2012 BCM. There will be some software/logic/timers involved.

The 1996 wiper system is an electro-mechanical marvel and it has been fascinating project to reverse engineer it. I'm sure the design/development evolved over time, but I can't imagine sitting down and coming up with this contraption in the first place.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
My hats off to you for taking the time to figure all this crap out because I would have just rigged up some wiring to a switch so I had wipers that I could turn on and off.

Should be able to gain some magazine interests once you get this beast completed because it is an awesome build.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sinister - Thanks for the kind words. I might end up with a toggle switch on the dash for the wipers yet, or maybe just a gas station window squeegee or rain-x!

95wagon- Simple question, however a somewhat complex answer (which I'll try to keep concise). When merging two vehicles together, there are several decisions to be made as to which system is controlled by which vehicle and where they need to overlap/interconnect. I chose to install the 2012 steering column, instrument cluster, body control module and abs module because they are all very interdependent on each other and the engine/transmission. The headlights, turn signals, courtesy lights, instrumentation dimmer, door locks, keyless entry, rear gate, rear window, ambient light sensor, sunload sensor (and probably a bunch of others that I'm forgetting) all had to overlap/interconnect between 2012 and 1996. The radio and HVAC stayed 1996 because they can operate independently without the 1996 PCM.

If I would have kept the 1996 steering column, I would have had to figure out how to make the cruise, shift linkage, tap shift up/down and a bunch of other things work on the 1996 column as well as all the differences between the 1996 and 2012 ignition switch/anti-theft systems. So, as is often the case, there are compromises and one of them is to figure out how to make the 2012 BCM control the 1996 wipers. If I didn't care about the wiper park functionality, it would be much easier.

I'll start a separate thread on the wiper system one of these days.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Column, answered, check

Going to peruse 2012 wiring diagrams.
Not saying have an answer, but maybe,,,,,,, intelligent input

Edit: being you are trying to integrate everything 2012, would adapting a 2012 wiper motor be more expedient?
Just spitballing after looking at the wiring and system.
Unless you are "inside" the BCM, workarounds likely would still reward you with tons of wiper related codes.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Fix Until Broke said:
On the less visually exciting side of things, I am ~90% done documenting the electro-mechanical theory of operation of the wiper motor assembly and circuitry. This needs to be done so I can retain the park functionality of the 1996 wipers while using the 2012 BCM to control them (which does not have any "Park" functionality).

I'll post the document here for everyone's review once I'm done with it.
I decided to sit down and pound this out. It's not 100% but good enough for peer review :).

Wipers - Circuit Design & Theory of Operation

Column, answered, check

Going to peruse 2012 wiring diagrams.
Not saying have an answer, but maybe,,,,,,, intelligent input

Edit: being you are trying to integrate everything 2012, would adapting a 2012 wiper motor be more expedient?
Just spitballing after looking at the wiring and system.
Unless you are "inside" the BCM, workarounds likely would still reward you with tons of wiper related codes.
I looked at putting the 2012 wiper motor on the 1996 mechanism and even using the whole 2012 linkage, but it's all kinds of backwards from being on a van chassis, left side of the vehicle vs right, facing the opposite direction, rotates the wrong way, does not have park, etc. I still think that this is solvable with some creative wiring. Here's the two schematics if you're interested. The 2012 circuit is dead simple and so is the motor assembly. Just high speed, low speed and a park switch. The BCM handles everything else with 3 inputs and 2 outputs. No wiper related codes thus far, it's pretty ignorant about the wipers. Park is the biggest challenge as the 2012 system has no provisions for that.

I've got a half dozen concepts sketched out, but I think a little PLC type controller will be the best solution like this from Divlebiss. I've worked with these guys before, they've got a pretty simple user interface and robust products. I'm sure there's a bunch of similar solutions, if anyone has something they'd recommend, I'm all ears.

1996 below

2012 below

·
Registered
320 Posts
Got the aforementioned wheel/tire combo mounted up and it more/less matches what the WheelFit tool told me - no major differences which is nice. I gained some clearance in a few tight areas by changing the bolts from typical flange head to button head (with flange) in places and also using some "Elevator Bolts" which I'm really happy with.

Typical flange head on the bottom, low profile button flange head on top. These are in the perimeter of the inner fender where it bolts to the outer fender, so even if a tire does rub, it'll be less "grabby" too.

The big silver circles are the underside of an "elevator bolt" which replaced typical flange head bolts for all the stuff that's mounted to the inner fender. The big orange circles are locations where the tire hit and needed to be clearanced (with a hammer).

I got a wheel/tire put on. It's a 20x9 with +18 offset with a 265/50/20 tire. It fits well and that is what I was trying to confirm. Only rubs at full compression with full steering lock and nowhere that will catch anything, just rub on a surface. I'm not fond of the style/color of the rim - it's too dark and "truckey" for me. The fake bead lock bolts, the chunky center cap, too much blingey features/facets while also being too dark for my taste - they're marketed as a truck rim, and live up to that. They'll probably hide brake dust well :). If you like them, the last picture has all the details. Warning - just because it fits my car, does not mean that they will fit yours!

The suspension is pretty close (1/4" or so) to desired ride height, might go a touch lower, but the goal is a wheel that is centered in the wheel arch and also near stock ride height/ground clearance.

First two are with and without the center cap

After all of that, I started removing all the bits and pieces in preparation for removing the rear end and fuel tank to clean the underbody and frame for paint. Nothing too exciting, just parking brake cables, height sensor, ABS wires*, Exhaust, driveshaft, all the little clips and brackets, etc. All that's left is the rear end itself and the fuel tank - then the dirty work can commence!.

*Rear ABS Sensor - Since I'm not running rear ABS (2012 ABS from donor vehicle is front only) I seem to recall some solution for removing the sensor and plugging the hole that someone had? Might have been as simple as an old sensor or someone made a plug or something? Does this ring a bell for anyone?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice - I like to see a well used vehicle. Most people wouldn't even think of doing that in an "old" car. Details on the road trip?
Nice - I like to see a well used vehicle. Most people wouldn't even think of doing that in an "old" car. Details on the road trip?
It was from south Florida to a small town in south Carolina and back again. The old girl gave us around 24 mpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
95wagon - those look good. I searched Amazon for those screws and the forum/internet for that ABS plug with no luck. Would you have more details/links?

Punishem1990 - That's quite a trip. 24 MPG is pretty decent, what speeds were you running on the interstate to get that MPG?

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
They are available all over,
Example

The plug for the ABS, was a two off.
Not making any more.
Pretty simple, just takes time.
I measured a sensor and wittled away at some aluminum stock.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
They are available all over,
Example

The plug for the ABS, was a two off.
Not making any more.
Pretty simple, just takes time.
I measured a sensor and wittled away at some aluminum stock.
Hey now. I proudly claim having #2. Again I thank you.

Mark: Snowman-33

2301 - 2320 of 2325 Posts