A bunch more little things...
Got the driveshaft back from the driveshaft shop where they fixed the previous imbalance. Car is now much smoother at speed.
Used a air/oil bottle jack and lifted the car by the body at the driveshaft tunnel right where there is a reinforcing rib under the front seats. This made installing the new driveshaft much easier than the 15 minutes of puling/prying that was done to remove it before. Another consequence of tightening the body mounts after everything fits...
Swapped rear springs again and installed the spring tenders mentioned above. A really nice secondary benefit of the spring tenders is that it makes height adjustments much easier when the suspension is in full droop. You're just working against the 5 lb/in spring instead of 300 lb/in. The rear ride height is about where I want it as shown in the picture below, just need to verify suspension travel is there.
Put a bunch of interior trim pieces on, cleaned a lot more stuff out of the inside. Folded the 2nd row seat up for the first time in almost 7 years!
Put a used set of rear glass struts on so now that stays up on it's own now which is nice.
Replaced the 2012 steering wheel clock spring so now the airbag controller is happy and I have cruise control which is nice. Still have an ABS light and codes for implausible front wheel speed. Front wheels read ~45 MPH while the rear reads 60 MPH. I don't know why the software engineers didn't consider the possibility of a continuous power brake or drifting where the front wheels can be 25% slower than the rears
. The solution to this is likely to have front toothed wheels made with 33% more pulses so it matches the rears.
Still have a small coolant leak dripping off the downpipe so should find/fix that someday. Hoping it's something simple, but likely the heater core?
Drove it another ~50 miles, filled it up with fuel and re-weighed it (both before and after). No mileage numbers yet, but will be able to get some next time I drive it since it's now completely full.
The rear bumper/hitch assembly is ~135 pounds and hangs as far back anything can - that and a full tank of fuel give it a pretty decent weight distribution. I've got stock numbers in another post which I'll edit in later.
Stock (with me, 100lb of stuff in the car and 1/2 tank of gas)
- Front: 2360 = 47.7%
- Total: 4940
- Rear: 2560 = 51.8%
With Duramax/6L90E swap (with me, my 7 year old son, 200lb of stuff in the car and 1/4 tank of gas)
- Front: 3000 = 56%
- Total: 5360
- Rear: 2360 = 44% - Missing rear bumper and hitch which is easily 100lb  135 pounds per the galvanizing place [\edit] at the very back of the car
With ~1/4 tank of fuel (guessing based on 22 gallon capacity and adding 15 gallons below) and the bumper/hitch all together
- Front = 2940 = 52.3%
- Total = 5620
- Rear = 2680 = 47.7%
I added 15.4 gallons of diesel to get it full
- Front = 2920 = 51%
- Total = 5720
- Rear = 2780 = 49%
Transmission still shifts for crap in some gears, others are just fine. Still have an occasional rub on the left front - nothing obvious, but haven't looked too hard.
Did some really bad painting on some light surface rust on the roof. Just something to keep it from getting worse, nothing to be proud of other than it's white like the rest of the car.
There's still a few vibrations to track down - the $8 motor mounts might not have been the best choice
. There's something in the lower oil pan that makes a nice rattle that I should investigate as well.
Still a lot of little things to do, but it does feel nice to be in the part of this project where I can enjoy the last 6.5 years of work