Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a differential from a guy on craigslist. He claims it is an Eaton locker but it looks more like a posi LSD. Could not find any PN's on it, just patent #s.

The reason I say it looks like a posi is it has springs in the center with side and pinion gears and openings in the case. From what I can see on Eaton's site, the locker is a sealed case made up of a hub, wave springs and side gears.

Hell, it may not be an Eaton at all. What do I look for? What do you think?

I'll post pics in an hour or so when I get home.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics........

·
Super Moderator
6,005 Posts
Not an Eaton locker. That is a good thing. Here is what they look like:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's an Auburn.
So, pretty much the stock unit that comes in our Impalas? Is there a way to tell if it may be the performance (aftermarket) model or stock?

Thanks for your help

Yeah, don't want a locker, even though that is what he advertised it as.

The posi is currently not working in my Impala, would this unit be worth swapping in or am I better off waiting for an Eaton or Tru-Trak?

Is there a way to test the posi operation before install?

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Choose,

You can count the teeth on the ring gear and if it's 40, it's probably the stock 3.08 gear. That would make me think it is the original Impala style unit. Just like the one in your Imp, once they wear out, they're done.

Hardcore drag guys seem to prefer the Eaton clutch type unit. The Truetrac (now also made by Eaton) is a favorite among autocross and roadrace folk. For primarily street use, I'd go with the Truetrac.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts