Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i have the car running good, but i still think i should see more power. i auto tap the car at WOT and i record all the data. here is the log:

tps%100 100 100 100 100 0.0
rpm 1274 4085 3664 4630 5276 2234
maf 8.39 25.35 22.15 29.15 32.23 1.95
map 30.40 29.20 30.10 29.20 28.90 7.7
CT 203 205 205 203 203 203
iat 99 99 95 91 88 86
tim -30 -35 -37 -36 -37 -20
mph 14 32 47 57 64 53
o2s11 .925 .900 .905 .900 .910 .010
o2s12 .835 .840 .835 .755 .700 .025

the car still like it have a restriction on the intake system, i will like to know if a bigger throttle body will improve performance. also when i shut down the car the coolant bottle will over flow. what the deal eith this?. i have to say the car car feel alot better. i can also feel the power but i also feel that something is hold back the power. i need to make more power what else can i do?.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveX:
i need to make more power what else can i do?.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What mods have you done to it first? you'r not listing any thing you'v done, with out knowing what you have we don't know what to tell you what to do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think your coolant overflow is due to a problem with either the overflow tank cap or the opening it screws onto. I had that problem and this was what I suspected (looked OK to the naked eye, though). I replaced both the overflow reservoir and cap and have never had a problem in the two years since. (cost = about sixty bucks at the dealer I think)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your timing is being backed off, get higher octane gas, if that does not fix it get the LT4 knock module, 160 degree thermostat and reprogram your computer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my current mod are ZZ3 cam, 3.73 gear, K&N FIPK, coolant by-pass throttle body, 160 T-stat, shift kit,and new tire (nitto 555r extreme 255-45r 17). i have my pcm re-cal by pcmforless.com. what kind of timing am i suppose to see?. i will install the new flowover tank cap, and see what happen. thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveX:
my current mod are ZZ3 cam, 3.73 gear, K&N FIPK, coolant by-pass throttle body, 160 T-stat, shift kit,and new tire (nitto 555r extreme 255-45r 17). i have my pcm re-cal by pcmforless.com. what kind of timing am i suppose to see?. i will install the new flowover tank cap, and see what happen. thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you thought of torque converter and free flow exhaust system? The exhaust will free up more horses.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what exhaust system should i use? right now i have 2.25 inch cat back flowmaster muffler.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EDIT: By Spartus

This guy(DOC) posted a rude comment so I've edited his post and REMOVED IT.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The right O2 sensor is running very lean... Might wanna check for any Exhaust leaks....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you need to watch the "knock retard" to see if it is backing timing due to it detecting knocking. That is what I suspect the problem is. If it is detecting knock you have to track down if it is true knock or false knock, if it is true trying higher octane gas will most likely fix it. If it is false knock retard, then the lt4 knock module which is really cheap, is much less sensitive and will help to correct it.

If you have roller rockers or really loud exhaust (mostly just cutouts or straight pipes) it can cause false knock.

That would be my guess as to what is going on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have a slow leak in the right side exhaust manifold. the manifold has a crack in it. i can hear the leak when i start the car (cold). As the car car warm up the noise from the leak will go away. i do not have roller rocker, but i plan on installing them. where can i get the LT4 knock module?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve, here you go.

16214681 Knock module - LT4 Corvette

I paid $34 I believe for mine at the stealership... But they give me good prices there.

And get that leak fixed.. It can cause some driveability issues..... Pick up some JB weld or something. :D

-Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you spartus.

i will order the LT4 knock module. also i am looking to gut the cat out. the cat has about 130,000 miles on them. has for the manifold, i am getting it weld. i was woundering if i can use a clod spark plug like the Autolight 103 or should i stick with the bosch platium 4+?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, i fix the leaky right side manifold. the highest reading i see on the O2 sensor is .865mv. Both sensor will read the same. also i broke one of the cat-back sensor so it reading .100-.200mv. does this affect performance? today i have pull the timing cover again for the 4th time, after experancing glowing red manifold on both side`s of the heads. any idea`s? the timing is on the money. some people told that the reluctor wheel on the crank, could have be install wrong. just to let you all know. the reluctor wheel can only me install one way. on top of my lean condition/lowing (red) manifold, now i have a noise coming from the motor, like a broken lifter or something is loose, everything is fine under the timing cover. so i pull both valve cover to see if any valve spring are broken (springs are fine). then i pull the timing cover to see if the setup is ok (everything fine under the timing cover).is it just my car ,or me, or this LT1 motor is a gunk. in 12 yrs of automotive, i have never seen a 350 motor with more bitch problem. everytime i touch this car it just run worst, and i keep rechecking my work to make sure i am not doing anything wrong, but still the car keep losing power. right now i am just trying to get the car running good, so i can sell it. this car is too heavy and way under power from the factory. my father 96 park ave s/c, alway put a beating on this police package caprice...LOL. i can`t see how cop`s pull people over with these car`s. i drove my friend impala SS, what a SLOW car. the SS is more heavy then the 9c1. maybe these car are good for cab service, not race car. well i wish my self all the luck, cause nobody really seem to know anything about this car...LOL. i guess because it not meant for racing. i don`t mean to offend anyone, but this is just my thought`s. oh, and one more think i also gutted the cat. so now i have no restriction in the cat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What plugs are you running now? Most of us like the NGK TR55 or TR5(same heat but comes gapped rather small) for NA motors or for a cooler plug mostly needed for forced induction a TR6. If you think a cooler plug might help give these a try they are cheap, I think I paid $12 for a whole set from Advanced Auto.
Is the coolant still boiling over?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We don't know anything about these cars?? Sorry Steve, but we are not the ones who's pulled the timing cover 3 times because of glowing manifolds... You are currently shooting in the dark, and are STILL showing signs of running LEAN. It's very hard for someone to diagnose someone elses vehicle over the internet without seeing it. Especially since we are not the ones that did the work on the car. Get another data log of your car and upload it so that people can take a look at it.

I'm moving this thread over to the "ENGINE PROBLEMS" section.

-Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.