Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i haven't really pulled my weight around here and i've just asked opinions on cars. But as soon as I buy one i promise i will try and help out :D

So here is my newest find:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/2047298432.html

This is the email i sent:

Hey I am interested in the wagon you have but I live in San Diego, so before I make a trip up there I have a few questions.

-What year is it?
-How's the paint/any body damage?
-Do you have paper work for newer trans/timing change/other engine work?
-Can you scan or fax me a copy of the smog? (I just want to make sure its not on the edge of max/failing)
I do not want to offend you, the car looks clean and i am interested.... but, I must know why your are asking more then you paid for the car.

Thank you for your time,
Mark

I will post his reply when i get one.

Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
Uh, you're wondering why he's only asking $750 more when he's added WAY more new parts than that? Looks like a deal to me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did not read his ad properly. I thought that stuff was already done and he only added the sways he had lying around. (and i just emailed him the same thing/scratching that question)

-Mark

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup, a/c i always check. And it seems windows/rollers are a specific issue to these cars. Anything that would hint to a problem other then the windows not working?

-Mark

·
Registered
205 Posts
Its pretty obvious during operation. If they are not broke, they will eventually, its an easy and cheap fix, but nice if they function (no dealbreaker).

·
Registered
502 Posts
If the windows have the broken roller problem (window goes all cock-eyed), don't worry as it is a cheap and easy fix.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If it's been a California car from the start, and with all that's done to it, it's well worth the price. It's a 94, with no wood. Nice car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the good info... keep it coming.

striper: ill make sure to do a carfax

-Mark

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
On that car, the only thing I'd worry about is the transmission shifting weird. Other than that there are no surprises. I'd also check for shoddy workmanship.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Why would the tranny shift weird? And for shoddy workmanship are you talking the parts he installed or bodywork?

-Mark

This thread would be alot more helpful if he emailed me back... maybe im just anxious

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Why would the tranny shift weird? And for shoddy workmanship are you talking the parts he installed or bodywork?

-Mark

This thread would be alot more helpful if he emailed me back... maybe im just anxious
If this wagon is what it says it and is in good condition it is probably either sold or he is dealing with someone else due to your first e-mail. I would contact the seller again (using a different e-mail account) and ask if it's still for sale and that you would like to look at and or talk on the phone about it.

Sorry, if I got an e-mail asking me why I was selling for more money and then the person wanted a ton of info I would pass on to the next potential buyer.

I have wasted so much time on selling cars and everything else that if I got an e-mail like the one you posted I would pass thinking you were a flake :D

That's my opinion ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good idea. I wil email him tomorrow from my work email (@well-known-bank-name-here.com). I will only ask if the car is still for sale.

-Mark

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He replied and said that he has just been busy lately.

He says when he got the car it had just had the a/c recharged, and it needs to be recharged again. Its only been a year so it probably has a leak. He says everything works, it just doesnt blow cold. Do you guys think this would affect the price?

-Mark

·
Registered
499 Posts
Doesn't seem like a bad deal, if it is in good physical shape (paint ok, glass ok, interior no rips/tears on seats). My AC did the same thing......cost $600 to replace the compressor/dryer (would have been cheaper if i did it, but had no time).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so it was leaking from the compressor/dryer?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, my compressor was leaking. The dryer should be replaced anytime you open up the AC system. They are separate parts.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
... And the AC Orifice valve should be replaced! Someone willing to dive into a job can reseal the compressor. You will save alot of money over a new one. O rings and a shaft seal are cheap!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
do you guys still think its worth the 3750?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts