Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Just picked up a set of 374 casting port n polished heads with port matched intake for pretty cheap.
Had the bowls opened up for 2.02 and 1.60 valve, bowl blended and bronze valve guides with a minor resurfacing to clean things up. Never been used..
Right now, they have springs on them with retainers but unsure of the part number (waiting on that)
I have a Lloyd Elliot 1.2 cam, pro mag NSA 1.6 rockers and a tune on the way with the following mods in my sig.
Do i need a 52mm tb? what about maybe 30lb injectors? Guideplates? what gaskets?
someone point me in the right direction...

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
????????????

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump it up

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
If those are Aluminum Heads

The Exhaust Ports Sealing:

I would install Studs to mount the Headers.
You will have a lot less maintenance issues keeping them tight.

D

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
A 52mm TB and 30# injectors will not keep up with those heads. Think big.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its already got screw in studs for the rockers.
Dan, so just studs with threadlock on them?
Would there be any advantage in going with a different thickness gasket?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Different thickness gaskets will change your compression ratio. Affecting the overall size of the combustion chamber. You can use many different ones but I would use stock or thicker for the gasket thickness. Figure out your compression ratio then choose the gasket. Remember to calculate using the stock gasket first then change from there.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Different thickness gaskets will change your compression ratio. Affecting the overall size of the combustion chamber. You can use many different ones but I would use stock or thicker for the gasket thickness. Figure out your compression ratio then choose the gasket. Remember to calculate using the stock gasket first then change from there.
Stock gasket for what? The auminum head at .049 or the iron head at .029?

OR should he use the .026 Victor/Mr. Gasket?

Those of us who have a clue what we are talking about would recommend he use a thin gasket to up compression to help offset the torque loss down low with a larger aftermarket cam. Especially since he said the heads were just decked a little to clean things up. Most of us running sucessful heads/cam setups are milling the heads fairly substantially AND running thin gaskets.

Then again who bothers with 2.02/1.6 valves in the aluminum head castings because to do it right you need new seats, substantial extra cost without any proven gain. There are several good reason most of us stick with 2.00/1.56, it WORKS and fits the stock seats.

Going to have to find out exactly what the cam is and gets springs to match.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm .026...guess ill start looking around
gotta find some bigger injectors

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and once again thanks dwayne for your input man

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found some Accell 44#lb injectors part number #150844 for $150 on island
Will these be too much? they worth it?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could you emphasize why? ill have less into this setup than the price of LE or AI stage 1-2 heads...aint got the funds to swing a build like that

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Found some Accell 44#lb injectors part number #150844 for $150 on island
Will these be too much? they worth it?
make sure the Accel injectors are the black/silver ones and NOT the brown/yellow ones.

Alot of problems with the yellow Accel injectors but the silver ones are supposed to be good.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
make sure the Accel injectors are the black/silver ones and NOT the brown/yellow ones.

Alot of problems with the yellow Accel injectors but the silver ones are supposed to be good.
Good to know

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well on the gasket thickness. It's pretty important to know what the compression ratio is going to be. Certain things only work well at certain ratios. Things to think about are... Do you have stock connecting rods. What kinda RPM range do you want it to perform in? Is it a balanced engine. There is alot of missing info here. You plan on running premium fuel what gear ratio's I really could go on. But the most important things are cam lift and duration and is the bottom end built. You need to sit down and do math or you may not have a long lasting engine. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its a stock internal bolt on motor, going with 373's and pretty much have all the supporting mods already.
Im not looking for a high rpm motor to help some longetivity, but ill let bryan herter set the shift points.

·
Registered
66 Posts
well for stock internals keep under or at 10 to 1. i have never seen a engine hold up well with stock internals over that. i have seen some that tried lol.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
well for stock internals keep under or at 10 to 1. i have never seen a engine hold up well with stock internals over that. i have seen some that tried lol.
You need to stop offering input because your ideas are a couple decades outdated.

BONE STOCK the iron head LT1 is 10:1(on 87 octane no less), the aluminum head motor is 10.4:1 and the LT4 was 10.8:1.

Once you understand that you will understand why most of us doing aluminum heads/cam aim for 11:1 or even more.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts