Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have looked at a number of amp kits, but...

I've got Cliff Design 6.5(75rms) door and JBL(100rms) 2way 6x9's,and am looking to put an MTX Thunder 895.5(5channel) amp in to power at 2 ohms(as it's apparently stable at 2 ohms). As I'm looking at ultimate putting in a 1 12inch sub or 2 10's, I'm wondering what amp kit do I need just to be prepared.

Some 8 guage kits say up to 1000watts, but figure this amp at 2ohms will run a total of 320 to the 4 speakers and 320 to a sub or 640 altogether, so am I better off going to a 4 guage kit? Do I also need more RCA Cables to go to my deck? My deck has two outs apparently.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Be careful when shopping for amp kits!!! Alot of the "new" companies are cheating the system. By that I mean they are making the outer silicone jacket a 4 ga size, but the wire that actually runs through it is only 8 or maybe 10 ga. I've seen alot of it.'

I recommend to by a kit by a MAJOR player in audio, or by the wire by the foot from a good local shop.

Yes by a 4ga setup. Yes use 2 sets of RCA if that is what is available on your deck.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stinger Makes real good amp kits. A 4 awg Kit will do your set up just right

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guy's. My neighbour has both a 4 and an 8 guage kit from Fast Connects. I don't know much about them, but I'll check to see if the wire is much thicker and not just heavily coated.

He told me that for a 4 or even 5 channel amp I'd also have to buy an extra set of RCA's and need more speaker wire than what was in the kit.

I'm going to try and hookup most of it myself, and leave the hooking up to the deck to an installer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts