Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1993 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Driftwood Metallic 5.8 Vortec TBI
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motohorn has anyone used something like this?
I had 4 note horn setup off a Buick or caddy for a long time but 2 notes went out and I replaced with 2 regular delco (now have 2 hi and 2 low) replacements and it’s decent but not the same presence as the 4note was

· Registered
1,236 Posts
You can order the horns individually. You just have to make sure you know which horns you want. Or just order all 4 at once - you need the A, C, D, and F notes.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
From where? few years back, the two unique to the caddies were long discontinued.
Whups, I didn't think about that. I found a bunch of sets on ebay, but looks like the going price is around $150.

· Registered
808 Posts
I pulled the horns off a Caddy in my local Pick n Pull, paid about $15 for all four of em. One of the best mods I've ever done to the car lol, sounds like a train.
A stock Caprice/ Impala has two, A and F, so one would only need to buy the C and D notes to get the full 4 note setup. (I do know OPs horns aren't stock) They also have the notes casted into the horn body, which makes it easy to identify them.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
I don't know what it is with you idiots, now you've got me researching this and I don't even have an impala any more. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I found a video of a guy playing each note individually. Turns out the C and D notes bracket the A and the F, with the D being lowest and C being highest.
D - 294 Hz
F - 349 Hz
A - 440 Hz
C - 523 Hz

Of course, that assumes the horns play perfect pitch. But at least, you know that if you buy a horn in the 300 Hz range and one in the 525 Hz range, it will approximate the caddy sound when combined with your stock A and F horns.

· Registered
808 Posts
This is a favorite of mine.
I got my horns off a similar year

Reactions: 91ss

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Turns out the discontinued high C caddy horn, has a near replacement in the BMW 525 high tone horn. The bimmer horns are 410 and 510 Hz, pretty close to the 525 Hz high C caddy horn.

· Registered
8,078 Posts
I doubt they do.... The optioned "C" ,and "D" horns plus the standard A ,and F horn
notes makes a huge difference. As does placement of the horns themselves.

Reactions: Marky Dissod

· Registered
1,236 Posts
The low D horn is still available, for some reason they discontinued the high C, thus the bimmer sub.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Most of the ads I see tell you which note it is. The AC Delco horns have the note stamped in their metal, and a lot of the newer ones have the actual frequency in hertz stamped in them. Check Oreilly Auto and Amazon.

· Registered
8,078 Posts
Keep an eye out at salvage yards for late model Cadillac's ,fullsize Buicks ,and maybe Oldsmobiles.
I've gotten lucky there in the past. I need to inventory my stash of GM horns ,and may part with some.

· Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I was able to find all 4 notes in a 90's Buick LeSabre Ultra (3800 FWD). Have not had time to install them yet. Might try to find another set and install a pair of each. Can't justify the $4k for what I'd really like to have (and it would probably get me in trouble anyway...)

Caddylack - not sure how the horns differ (if at all...)? I believe on the GM horns, the letter is molded in the plastic on the outlet of the horn. The letters are pretty "thin" so can be easy to miss.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts