Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. What hose do I need for replacing the oil cooler lines to the rad? They are dripping and a $5/qt, it's too expensive to drive. I plan on cutting the lines, roughing them up a bit, and just hose-clamping replacements. (I did it on my 89 and it was better than new.) Thanks.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Hi. What hose do I need for replacing the oil cooler lines to the rad? They are dripping and a $5/qt, it's too expensive to drive. I plan on cutting the lines, roughing them up a bit, and just hose-clamping replacements. (I did it on my 89 and it was better than new.) Thanks.
if the hose ends are leaking at the aluminum crimp put hose clamp over this crimp and tighten the clamp. I stopped my leak there years ago.

if the hoses are leaking because the hose is cut cracked then for now just cut the hose off and replace with an oil rated hose of the same diameter.

then double clamp each end.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
It really isn't that difficult or expensive to use socketless AN hose/fittings,and it's fixed for good.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Listen to 1slow96!

I tried to just replace the hoses and should have double clamped them and lost an engine when a line blew off on the highway. Before the wife could get the car to the shoulder the engine was seized up tight. Years ago, I tried cheap fittings from Summit and they didn't agree with the salty Winter environment that I have to run my cars through. If I were to do it again, I would use stainless AN- fittings. As it was, I just put an adapter on to eliminate the lines and used different filters with the new(er) engine.

Jim

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
if oil cooler lines leak, cutting & reclamping or re-fitting with AN can repair.....

..but with that said cooler lines, like so many other parts on a car do fatigue and fail. Replacement sets are widely available at most auto part stores. I have replaced them on 2 of my GM vehicles over the years.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My replacement set from Napa is still holding strong after two years. However, if you have a little extra time to do it, I would go with what 1slow96 recommends.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Should be noted that 'not that expensive' deserves explanation. There have been several routes discussed here which are more or less effective, but are definitely much cheaper. Now if you don't want to look back and the cost is worth the peace of mind that goes w/ JIC fittings (I use JIC because that's what the vast majority of people purchase, but use the generic term AN because they aren't aware of the difference. For actual AN fittings you can multiply the final cost by a factor of 2 to 4 times), then go for it. I did and even bucked up more to get the correct 45 degree bulkhead fittings for the external oil cooler:

So...
Using the the lowest common denominator w/ regard to price, here's a breakdown:

4 x AN to Tube Adapter Fittings @ $8/per and up
4 x Tube Sleeves @ $2/per and up
1 x Stainless Steel Braided Hose - 3 Feet @ $20 and up
1 x 37 degree Flaring Tool Set @ $25 and up

That alone coming to $85, which again is on the low end of the pricing scale and doesn't include the bulkhead fittings that those w/ ext coolers require. Granted, you could go socketless and dismiss the flaring tool, but you'll pay more up front for the socketless fittings.

Obviously, I've done this myself, but the price breakdown is worth noting as some just won't be able to justify it. Frankly, AN/JIC fittings are NOT cheap. However, they are the best.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much for all these great solutions. I considered each of them. I went with ordering Dorman lines from Amazon (Prime).

* * * BEWARE * * *

The Police Package external oil cooler lines (625-124) have a different fittings than the standard (625-177) fittings which go into the radiator. The Police Package bypasses the radiator altogether.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Though I've used braided-stainless hose,I typically use Aeroquip "socketless"hose. It runs around $3/ft. depending on diameter.
I find it extremely cost effective,and easy to work with.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Update. Mine are leaking again. Time for AN...or JIC.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Update. Mine are leaking again. Time for AN...or JIC.
JIC will save you coin and be perfectly (above) adequate. Many have JIC but call them AN, either because they aren't aware of the difference or it's so commonly referred to that way.

PM me if you want a set pre-fabbed and shipped to you. I require the old ones back, but there's no reason to incur the costs of a 37 degree tool and the various other tools required for a one time use. I've already the tools required and a spare pump to flex line connection (from another engine I installed). All that would be required is the choice/purchase of the fittings and hose and the fittings from flex hose to cooler or radiator, however yours is equipped. Would need to discuss in detail so again, pm if interested.

Remember that the easiest out for most is a full delete, so consider that as well.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.