Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone crazy trying to get my impala to sit at the same height on both sides. It sits about 3/4" lower on passenger side than drivers side in the rear and 1/2" lower in the front passenger side. I am replacing the rear shocks (what a pain in the rear) and did the passenger side already (to no effect). I searched the forums and came up with a lot of different springs for the car. I want stock height and am willing to sacrifice ride quality for it. I found Moog 5245, moog 5419, and moog 5387 as possible replacements. Which one has worked the best for all that have replaced their springs? I have tried all over to find the stock 22132375 springs to no avail. Any and all help would be appreciated. By the way I have a cherry red 1996 Impala SS that I bought new in April of 1997. It rarely sees any service other than transporting my kids around. My wife really likes driving it around and getting compliments for it.:D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
First two would be caprice height springs. One soft, other stiff.

The 5387 is probably as close as you'll get in terms of stiffness and height of an SS spring. It might sit about 0.3" higher than stock SS, once it's settled in.

Or, you can try a 5415 which would be 10% stiffer and 0.1" shorter going by it's specs.

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
2 Completely Different Issues. Selecting coils for preferred ride ht. is distinct from diagnosing uneven riding level side-to-side.

Coil selection on its own is quite subjective but you'll get plenty of suggestions from other's experimentation I bet.

Shocks have nothing to do with ride ht. The only exception is for gas-charged shocks, and then only for a month or so until they relax a bit.

For correcting uneven tilt you can search:
"Mis-punched rear control arm mount hole during original frame production" (there's a TSB on it I think)
"Bent - twisted front or rear stab bar(s)" (personal experience)
"Collision damaged A-arm" (personal experience)
"Seized shock" (on an old Camaro once)
"Decayed/rotted body bushings"
"Incorrect front coil orientation or not seated correctly in perch" (not applicable if you've never replaced anything yet)
"Deferentially sacked out old coil" (potentially your case if all still OEM)

·
Premium Member
20,295 Posts
.....Or, you can try a 5415 which would be 10% stiffer and 0.1" shorter going by it's specs.
AFAIK, the MOOG 5415 is NOT a B-body spring.....

KW

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
I know these cars are big and all but I was wondering which part of the car is the closet? Would that be the trunk? The trunk has springs. LOL!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
LOL... no, it's the 5415 spring. It's still in the closet about coming out and being a b-body spring... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry for the misspelling. Long day of work and lots of frustration searching for springs are my only excuse. Thank you 91ss for your input. I went ahead and ordered a set of Moog 5387 springs. I will relate what I have done and what I have learned after they get here and are installed.

·
Premium Member
6,324 Posts
Open RockAuto links to read/compare specs--all of them should work as far as pigtail size

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=200714&jnid=4&jpid=0

MOOG 5387 Coil Spring
BUICK CENTURY (1973 - 1976)
BUICK REGAL (1974 - 1976)
BUICK SPECIAL 1968
CHEVROLET MALIBU (1975 - 1977)
CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO (1975 - 1977)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS (1973 - 1976)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SALON 1976
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME (1973 - 1976)
PONTIAC BONNEVILLE 1969

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=200685&jnid=6&jpid=0

MOOG 5245 Coil Spring
BUICK CENTURY 1977
BUICK ELECTRA (1966 - 1983)
BUICK LESABRE (1965 - 1985)
BUICK REGAL 1977
BUICK RIVIERA (1966 - 1970)
BUICK ROADMASTER (1992 - 1996)
BUICK WILDCAT (1965 - 1970)
CADILLAC BROUGHAM (1987 - 1990)
CADILLAC DEVILLE 1984

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=200730&jnid=8&jpid=1

MOOG 5419 Coil Spring

BUICK ELECTRA 1980
BUICK ESTATE WAGON (1977 - 1980)
BUICK LESABRE 1985
BUICK ROADMASTER (1994 - 1996)
BUICK SPORTWAGON (1969 - 1970)
CADILLAC FLEETWOOD (1984 - 1985)
CHEVROLET CAPRICE (1979 - 1996)
CHEVROLET IMPALA (1977 - 1985)
OLDSMOBILE CUSTOM CRUISER (1977 - 1983)

·
Premium Member
20,295 Posts
True, it's just a spring. But listed dimensions match a b-body specific spring........
OK.....learn something new every day ;) .

KW

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Moog 77-96 B & D-car Spring Rate Info

The vast majority of potentially compatible springs come from RWD B-, C-, & D- cars from 1977-1996.
There may be some missing, or some to add, but I think I got most of them.
However, there are also a considerable number of other vehicles [that are NOT 77-96 B-cars], whose springs happen to be compatible with [our] B-cars as well.
If you happen to know of any springs that are NOT on the list yet, post them.
Hopefully the appropriate mods will feel free to alter my post [whether to add or remove entries] for the sake of keeping the info correct for the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
6,324 Posts
The 5415. Has a rate of 170lbs/in. and should sit only a tenth of an inch lower than stock SS springs.
My recollection is that the rate of the OE SS rear spring is 154 lbs, or maybe 152 (154 as installed)--the 5387 most closely matches this, but no idea on wire diameter, number of turns, free height, etc for the OE SS spring vs 5387.

The difference in 5387 & 5415 rate is about 10%--spring rate seems to be especially sensitive for the B-body chassis, with so many other variables in the mix--rear bar size selected, tire size & aspect ratio (both compared to production SS), inflation pressure, and shock selection to a lesser degree.

The higher the rear spring rate, the more tail-happy the car tends to be, all other things remaining the same.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My recollection is that the rate of the OE SS rear spring is 154 lbs, or maybe 152 (154 as installed)--the 5387 most closely matches this, but no idea on wire diameter, number of turns, free height, etc for the OE SS spring vs 5387.

The difference in 5387 & 5415 rate is about 10%--spring rate seems to be especially sensitive for the B-body chassis, with so many other variables in the mix--rear bar size selected, tire size & aspect ratio (both compared to production SS), inflation pressure, and shock selection to a lesser degree.

The higher the rear spring rate, the more tail-happy the car tends to be, all other things remaining the same.
Coils and diameter yield the rate. So knowing original spring is not that important. But the rate we do know as 154 and a free length of 15.23"

Yep, stiffer rears - more tail happy. And THEY say that the B-body is sensitive to the extra stiffness. But how many are running air bags in their springs? Did the math a while back. Not factoring the increase friction of the bags against the spring, but just the change in pressure as they compress and the bags will put you right around that spring rate too. Not sure how many find with bags the ride being objectionable.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sorry for the misspelling. Long day of work and lots of frustration searching for springs are my only excuse. Thank you 91ss for your input. I went ahead and ordered a set of Moog 5387 springs. I will relate what I have done and what I have learned after they get here and are installed.
My rear springs are mush, I have bladders inflated to 10psi to stiffen the rear up a bit anymore psi than that and I can feel the rear bouncing off the bladders over the slightest bump (which again may be due to my springs having lost all rigidity). Amazon showed the Moog 5387 spring wasn't a fit for the 96 Imp.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Moog 5387

Whats the verdict?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally done

I finally got the springs (moog 5387) in and the car is now even on both sides. I changed the shocks (kyb) as well and the kit from navylifer is a time and back saver. I used the coil insulators from energy and everything fit perfectly.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts