Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you can adjust for the weight distribution of the car w/ sway bars, shock stiffness, tire parameters etc.

What I don't know is if there is an ideal weight distribution that one should start w/ if possible and use the above methods to balance out the variances from the ideal.

How far off are our cars?

I'm assuming one would want the weight centered front to back on a line that the driver would be sitting on w/ the l/r weight on each pair (front & back) of tires being equal. Just a guess.

How much difference does it make when you vary from the ideal?

Just wondering.

Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
50/50 weight distribution is what most racers want, at least autoX, but it also helps with drag racing. I have weighed my car at the track with the front tires on the scale, entire car, then rear tires only, and found out that with a full tank of gas my car is around 52/48, maybe 51/49, so i'm pretty happy with that, as long as the scale was working right. The newer Vettes are around 50/50, or maybe 51/49, so I hope this gets you heading in the right direction.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
50/50.....on a true corner weighing setup (i.e. more accurate than the method that nj96dcm tried) you'll end up with about 55% on the front and 45% on the rear on a stock SS.

You can move a bit of the weight around (i.e. battery) and lose some more of it (lighter hood, aluminum heads) but getting enough off of there to get to 50/50 is gonna require some MAJOR body and frame mods on a B-body.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks for the info guys.

I was considering most of the mods Ed mentioned, unfortunately I can't afford all of them. It is nice to know however that whatever I decide to do I will be moving stuff in the right direction. Lighter up front and more weight in the rear (the opposite of how I like my women I guess ;) ).

Even better that the same combo works for drag racing.

Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In drag racing and braking in a straight line, you want more weight behind the rear axle if possible.
Consider the Porsche 911 family. The rear engine layout reduces tirespin during acceleration, and the rear experiences less unloading during hard braking, which increases rear tire footprint.
Lastly, there is at least one person here who has reduced the 'pegleg effect' by relocating his sparetire over the right rear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I weighed my SS both with and without driver:
Full tank of gas and tire press set for Auto X:

LF: 1183 RF: 1163
LR: 922 RR: 943

56% Front
44% Rear
Total Weight: 4212

Same as above except with driver and helmet
(230 lbs.

LF: 1284 RF: 1180
LR: 995 RR: 983

55% Front
45% Rear
Total Weight 4442

Remember that when moving weight around any weight you place aft of the rear axle will have a greater pendulum effect while cornering. (EX: for drag racing we would mount the battery as far back in the right hand corner of the trunk as possible. for road course I would put itto the right of the spare under the package shelf.)It will also have a greater lever effect relative to front/rear weight distribution.

It would take quite a bit of work to get a "stock appearing" B-Body near 50/50.
100 lbs off the front and trunk mounting the batt only gets you 1% better!
You need to look into major weight reduction and maybe even motor set-back.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.