Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Yes, it's +6mm (toward front/outer wheel surface), and the SS wheels fits wagons, no problems.

9.5" is the "standard" overall width measure for a steel wheel that is 8.5" bead width. The Impala SS wheel is actually a shade over 9.625" lip-to-lip.

Backspace works out to "about" 5.06", based on rim inner bead shape & thickness.

If you just disregard the bead dimension, and used 9.5" as overall rim width (which isn't accurate), it works out to 4.75 + 0.24 = 4.99".

· Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, it's +6mm (toward front/outer wheel surface), and the SS wheels fits wagons, no problems.

9.5" is the "standard" overall width measure for a steel wheel that is 8.5" bead width. The Impala SS wheel is actually a shade over 9.625" lip-to-lip.

Backspace works out to "about" 5.06", based on rim inner bead shape & thickness.

If you just disregard the bead dimension, and used 9.5" as overall rim width (which isn't accurate), it works out to 4.75 + 0.24 = 4.99".
Great info as usual Navy!!

I have Imp wheel on her now and looking to do another wheel. The company is trying to sell me either 17x8 or 17x9 wheels. They are suggesting a +19 offset, this seems like a lot. The other size they make is 0 offset. That seems to make more sense to me, particularly if I go with a 8" wheel. It should only set me out 6mm, if it were 8.5". With the difference in the width of the wheel (1/4" on either side) it should be just about a wash. Does this make sense to you Navy?

Tim

· Registered
581 Posts
If you go with the 19mm offset you can add spacers to make it perfect. If you go with 0mm and it rubs that would be disappointing and there's no where to go.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The goal is to replace the Impala wheels with a low price wheel that is more common to prevent further "curb" issues. The Impala wheels are starting to get hard to find in new or next to new condition. I had to have the wife trash another one!! These would be more expendable........

You could run a zero offset with the 8 0r 9 inch wheel. I successfully ran some 20x9's with 0 offset for a few months. It was close, but it cleared with no rub.
I did the math and had the manufacturer double check. They agree. Currently running 8.5", 6mm offset, 4.99 backspacing Impala wheels. The 8" wheel with 0 offset will look almost exactly the same as the Imp wheels.

What wheel?
Vision 141 Legend 5 in Gunmetal..........

If you go with the 19mm offset you can add spacers to make it perfect. If you go with 0mm and it rubs that would be disappointing and there's no where to go.
I agree Matt, but the 8" wheel should be almost exactly the same as the Impala wheel on the outside. 3/4" spacers would blow the budget!!

· Premium Member
5,757 Posts
You'll be fine. Listen to the voice of experience. I have tried more wheels on my wagon than most people will ever buy.
The 0 offset is fine!
But before you buy those, might I suggest

Available @ discount tire

· Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'll be fine. Listen to the voice of experience. I have tried more wheels on my wagon than most people will ever buy.
The 0 offset is fine!
But before you buy those, might I suggest

Available @ discount tire
Very nice firewood. I have made a decision to go the other way. I just bought a pair of new Impala wheels and just replace the damaged wheels. I will clean the old wheels up over the winter and see if they can be salvaged.

· Premium Member
3,776 Posts
...if I go with a 8" wheel. It should only set me out 6mm, if it were 8.5". With the difference in the width of the wheel (1/4" on either side) it should be just about a wash. Does this make sense to you?
Tim,

8" with 0 offset should be fine--compare to SS and 9" for a reality check:

8" wheel - 0 offset (assumes wheel is 9" lip-to-lip)
BS "split" = 4.50" inboard of hub & 4.50" outboard of hub - 9" total width

SS wheel (8.5") +6 offset
BS "split" = 5.06" inboard of hub & 4.56" outboard of hub - 9.62" total width

9" wheel - 0 offset (assumes wheel is 10" lip-to-lip)
BS "split" = 5.00" inboard of hub & 5.00" outboard of hub - 10" total width

The 8" - 0 wheel would be 0.06" further away from the fender lip compared to OE SS wheel

The 9" - 0 wheel would be 0.44" (7/16") closer to the fender lip.

Depending or tire size and ride height, you might get away with running the 9" - 0 wheel in front with NO problems.

The +19mm would be a disaster, IMO.

· Registered
1,115 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Hey guys. Don't mean to hijack, but I have a similar question for my 94 RMS.

Looking at installing a set of Halibrand style wheels, and there are two options. A set of 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing and a set of 15x7 with 4" backspacing. Which is the better choice considering the rear "half-skirts"?

Thanks

· Premium Member
3,776 Posts
I just ordered 2inch spacers for the back of my 95 and had my C5 rims drilled to 5x5. I just don't know how much I'll need on the front?
It matters to know what the width and offset of the C5 wheels ("rims") are that you are using. If they are OEM wheels, the data can be found on the back of the wheel in pockets on the hub, typically, or somewhere on the spokes.

Short of that, what is the measurement, edge to edge of the wheel at the outer circumference of the rim section, and what is the backspace measurement?

Without sufficient additional information, a guess is all we can offer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.