Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In other cars, I believe that there is a 'neutral safety switch' that prevents drver from shifting from Park to Drive or Rev. unless he has depressed the brake pedal. In the 94 Imp, I understand that there is no Neutral Safety Sw. but an 'Auto Trans Solenoid' in the steering column which provides this function. It is p/n 26042494 and is $60.82 at the parts counter. Is this correct? and what are the common failures with this system? My car can sometimes be shifted w/o brake and other times must have the brake pedal applied. Is there anything I can check before replacing this expensive solenoid?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
In other cars, I believe that there is a 'neutral safety switch' that prevents drver from shifting from Park to Drive or Rev. unless he has depressed the brake pedal. In the 94 Imp, I understand that there is no Neutral Safety Sw. but an 'Auto Trans Solenoid' in the steering column which provides this function. It is p/n 26042494 and is $60.82 at the parts counter. Is this correct? and what are the common failures with this system? My car can sometimes be shifted w/o brake and other times must have the brake pedal applied. Is there anything I can check before replacing this expensive solenoid?
As far as I know, neutral safety switch prevents starting the engine in any position except neutral and park.
On the other hand, the brake switch prevents shifting out of Park without depressing the brake pedal. Those are two different switches.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
As far as I know, neutral safety switch prevents starting the engine in any position except neutral and park.
On the other hand, the brake switch prevents shifting out of Park without depressing the brake pedal. Those are two different switches.
the brake one makes an audible click too when depressing pedal. It's $8.00-10$ if bad.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is the system that keeps you from shifting from Park to any gear unless you depress the brake pedal that I am having a problem with. Is this function controlled by a switch on the brake or a solenoid in the steering column OR somewhere ? Let's think about the brake pedal: it has to have the ability 1./ to switch the brake lights on and off and 2./ to deactivate the cruise control device. Also by depressing the brake pedal, you also Allow the auto trans lever to be shifted out of park. Where is that system? Thanks for your help. Jim

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It is the system that keeps you from shifting from Park to any gear unless you depress the brake pedal that I am having a problem with. Is this function controlled by a switch on the brake or a solenoid in the steering column OR somewhere ? Let's think about the brake pedal: it has to have the ability 1./ to switch the brake lights on and off and 2./ to deactivate the cruise control device. Also by depressing the brake pedal, you also Allow the auto trans lever to be shifted out of park. Where is that system? Thanks for your help. Jim
"The brake transmission shift interlock system prevents the driver from shifting out of Park without pressing the brake pedal. The brake transmission solenoid is energized when the ignition is on and the vehicle is in Park. When energized, the solenoid moves a cable which mechanically locks the gear shift bowl to the column. When pressure is applied to the brake pedal, the solenoid is de-energized, and releases the gearshift lever lock."

You have either mechanical or electrical problem. I would start with electrical troubleshooting.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, HUF. So it looks like I am back to the solenoid p.n 26042494 for 60.82 inside the steering column. I may try cleaning the elec. connections, the solenoid itself, and trying to see if there is any mechanical linkage problems before I buy the solenoid and replace it. Or
R & R as the GM techs inscribe. You know we are having a heat wave in eastern USA.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you can hear the solenoid "clicking" as you press the brake pedal, but can't shift it out of park, you may need to adjust the cable. The upper plastic clip has some adjustment in it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
That has never worked on either of my 95 wagons. If you lift the brake pedal up with the car in park, you can hear the solenoid click. I like mine broken as it is!:D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine has worked only intermitantly for a number of years. I am now just curious more than anything about why it is intermittant. I do like everything on my car to work- although on my 94 with 270k miles, several things do not work. I would realyy hate for it to fail and lock up in Park and not be able to shift out of Park. I am not saying that is possible....Jim-OP

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Mine has worked only intermitantly for a number of years. I am now just curious more than anything about why it is intermittant. I do like everything on my car to work- although on my 94 with 270k miles, several things do not work. I would realyy hate for it to fail and lock up in Park and not be able to shift out of Park. I am not saying that is possible....Jim-OP
I am currently experiencing this and want to know where to start testing first ???

car starts fine, i press brake, i press the button on floor shifter, and when i try to move shifter outa park it don't wanna budge.....WTF.

-ALF out....

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
Trans switch

On my 96 the lock solenoid is attached to the shifter,and can easily be unplugged,or removed altogether. Remove the shift knob,and carefully unsnap, and lift off shift plate. You should see the rod that attaches to shifter w/clip. I wired mine to a hidden switch as another layer of anti-theft protection. The neutral safety switch is for preventing the car from starting in gear. Do not confuse the two.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
thanx for trying to help
i won't confuse the two. I think i may have Mis-Spoke.
When i hit brake and push the button it will NOT go in.....
So i think i have a mechanical problem. after hour drive home last night i threw it in
Park and then tried it and it was still tuff but worked after couple tries.
i think the cold and age is affecting it, guess i need to read the FSM to understand how
it works and see if i find a problem.
-ALF out....

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Well i got outa work early yesterday and stopped by the mech and had him take a look.

he popped the pin and pulled the shifter handle off the shaft.
sprayed the lubricant down the shaft and up the handle.
put it all back together and i tried it.

it works WAY smoother :D

must be a combo of things going on, temp, miles, age.....
if it gets bad again i will have them pop the console cover and lube more of the mechanism.

I'm good.

-ALF out....

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
Wish they were all that easy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts