Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to buy a 95 Red Caprice wagon, it has 120k on it, mostly highway miles, not wood trim, and red cloth interior. The twist is, I am building an 86 Iroc Camaro, and I need a car later on to pull it on a trailer. My uncle also has a really nice shape 86 Monte Carlo SS, which has about 40k miles on it, and it hasn't been started or ran in many years. Both cars are prolly going to cost me about the same to get where I want them. The wagon just needs a new grill, wheels, and roof rack fillins. It already has a class 3 hitch on it. Now if I got the Monte Carlo I know I couldn't use it to tow the Camaro, because the rated towing capacity isn't the greatest. I have a 94 Camaro Z28 right now that I am trying to get rid of, and I am the decision is between the caprice wagon, and the 86 Monte Carlo SS. Which ever I get it will become a daily driver. I am a GM technician, and miles don't bother me one bit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The wagon can tow 5,000 pounds. WIth that much weight The rear end will prob be sinking on a Caprice w/o a autolevel system with a trailer.

If you add helper air bags inside the spring you can tow something that is heavier. I would add them anyway even if you are towing something light. A set of 3.73 gears with a posi would help too. Also a external tranny coolor would be worth your while so the tranny stays nice and cool.

120k is nothing for LT1 car. These cars last forever. If the tranny has not been rebuilt yet, It will pro. dump soon. Most 4L60E transmissions in these cars like to puke at 100-120K range.

Delete the roof rack, Delete the side moldings get an Impala SS grille and some cool wheels and you will have a cool looking tow vehicle. :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw it on sunday, and i just went and saw it again about 5 minutes ago. I thought it had red interior, nope, it has grey cloth, i was wrong. The windows were tinted all at about 50%, so that would have to be changed to about 15%on the rear windows, and 35 on the fronts, except windsheild.
Also I looked underneath, it has True Duals for exhaust, which really surprised me, I thought the wagons had one of those that had a single pipe that split off into 2 pipes near the back. Do these cars have a factory auto level or anything? O yeah, the tranny was just rebuilt within the last few thousand miles. I have a fresh limited slip 3.42 setup out of a 96 SS camaro, I beleave that should work in the caprice rear end.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
check the RPO codes located inside the rear tailgate look for one that says "G80" that's your posi rear end. I don't know about the Caprice but the RM wagon has the auto level. I will email you the full RPO codes then you can find out if it already has the towing package on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, you have been such a great help. I will go back and look at it tomorrow night, and check the rpo's nobody was home tonite, its a private seller. Since this thing has a class 3 hitch on it, I am thinking it will probably have at least the posi, maybe not, but i really hope it has auto level.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gray interior in a wagon! That is preety rare in 1995. I do not see alot of those aroumd.

Is the exterior a light red or a dark red? If it is a dark red (Called Dark Cherry Metallic, DCM) It is the same color 95 and 96 Impala's were avialable with.

If the wagon has a 1 eletric and a Mechanical fan it should have the tow package on it. The mechanical fan will be on the right side of the car. It sticks out with a big shroud. You can not miss it.

You know the wagon has an autolevel system if you hear the compressor kick on right when someone sits in it. My CC does that and I am not no heavy kid either! All it takes is 150 pounds to kick the compressor on in my case.

The wagon has duals becasue it has a LT1 Engine. The same engine that was in the Impala SS and an option in the 94-96 Caprice. All LT1 cars have dual exhaust.

Even if the wagon does not have a autolevel system the stock setup is good, but could be better. The autolevel system consists of air shocks in the rear so most of the load is distrubuted to the shock mounts.

If you add helper bags inside the springs the car can effectively carry more weight (And I would think in a safer way) becasue all the extra load is being supported from the spring perch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am so siked to go look at it again tomorrow. It is not DCM, I sorta wish it was, but its not, its the brighter red. One of my good friends is an excellent body man. So I will be taking all the molding off of it, and prolly respraw the whole car. Not quite sure on a color, If i want to go back to the original color, or if I want to go to the DGGM, or Sunset Orange Metallic which is on the newer Camaro / Firebirds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by ScreaminZ:
The twist is, I am building an 86 Iroc Camaro, and I need a car later on to pull it on a trailer.
After you drive the wagon a while you'll be figuring out how to pull it with you winter beater IROC. :D

Don't laugh, it happened to me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Camaro gears and posi will not work, they are for a 7.5" rear(S-10, Camaro, old Caprice) and all LT1 b-bodies got a 8.5 rear(like a half ton truck). Now what you really need to do is the gears and a mild cam and stall, and headers in the wagon and still use it to tow the Iroc. Drag the Iroc there, back it off the trailer, then disconnect the trailer, and run both cars. Then you will turn some heads. I think you could pretty easily run low 14s or even some 13s with you "tow rig".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pull a 600hp iroc using a 260hp wagon might work better. The iroc will have a Boyd Coddingtong Rodder 5 wheels on it, 91-92 Z wing, and a ASCD SS hood. all painted white with blue heritage styled stripes. I just need a really reliable daily driver thats pretty cool looking, and can tow alot. The LT1 in my 94 camaro has been one of the most reliabe engines that I have seen, so why not go with something that has an lt1 in it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These wagons are the BEST everyday car I've ever owned. Room to haul anything you can think of, Comfort and driveability, and just plain fun with the LT1.

You may want to think RoadMaster if this wagon doesn't pan out....one with the tow package. That way you've got the upgraded cooling, and the Load leveling system.

Others have already done this and I plan on it - With the load leveling system you have a pump and a sensor....for Air shocks. Replace the Air shocks with good regulars and put bags in the coils and control the air in the bags from the load leveling system.

Do a search - its detailed here by one of the members.

The car has its faults like everything else, but they are more annoyances....things that will need fixxin'

Watchout though.....these wagons are adicting. I just bought my Wife one to replace her Subaru - after driving mine on a trip she loved it !!

That leaves me to Mod mine to my hearts content !!

GOod luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chances are the wagon is Med Garnet Red Metallic, the same color as mine, and I really like it.
All 94-96 wagons had the LT1 and all had dual exhaust.
8th digit of the vin should be a P and that will confirm it.
Have fun
Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also just noticed that you are in Iowa.
My 1A2 wagon was first registered by the University in Iowa, my guess is they bought more than one the same color. Although mine had tan cloth interior.
If you open the hood and have green hoses and no mechanical fan, chances are that badboy is a 1A2, brother of mine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are plenty of caprice wagons with the tow package, it isn't all that uncommon or available on RM's. I have it and I saw other capieces with it prior to my purchase. Now stuff like sunroof, leather, sentinel, etc, is another story.

Red with grey interior, you're very lucky. I wish I had grey...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Family Truckster, hahah. I love it, my bro owns an Iroc, and I the wagon. Nice to have something to shove in his face!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.