Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This part sits near the Canister that is just behind the front right hand corner of the Bumper. Its a round plastic ball with what appears to be to possible hose attachment points. I know the point on the right hand side is for rubber hose (small diameter vacuum type). Its the point on the left that has us wondering. We think it is just a vent and no hose attaches to it. Can't reference original as it was broken into a bunch of very small pieces in a minor fender bender.

Where it mounts there is a single vacuum type hose hanging. but no other hose for what we hope is just a vent.

I checked the shop manual but can't seem to find. Apologizes for poor picture quality.

Also badly need this part I've listed in the "Parts Wanted Forum" https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/8-parts-sale-wanted/1316954-help-need-filler-moulding-top-r-h-side-front-bumper-cover.html

Attachments

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
That is a vacuum canister for your HVAC controls. Looks like one off of a box Caprice.

It connects between your engine manifold vacuum, and the main vacuum line to your HVAC controls.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
HuSSker: I've been through the GM Shop Manual and no mention of this part in the system. The Vacuum tank they do mention in HVAC Section, which is controlled by engine vacuum, is located under the dash below and to the left of the passenger side inflator module. No mention of how the engine vacuum is routed to it.

Nothing in the index on Vacuum System other than Vacuum Booster for the Brakes.
I can't even find the big round canister that sits just behind the front right corner of the front bumper either.

If this is part of the HVAC then your thinking the two connectors on the round ball are input and output. not input and vent? If the former I have no idea where the other hose is.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
HuSSker: I've been through the GM Shop Manual and no mention of this part in the system. The Vacuum tank they do mention in HVAC Section, which is controlled by engine vacuum, is located under the dash below and to the left of the passenger side inflator module.
Exactly. That part looks like it belongs to an older Chevy, like a box Caprice. I don't believe they used that form factor on a 91-96 B body, which has the vacuum tank (cylindrical shape) in the passenger side dash. Of course, you make no mention of what car you're working on, so I assume it's a '94-'96 car (based on mention of passenger inflator module). If it is a '94+ car, that ball does not belong to it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1996 Impala SS (Canadian Model (though don't know if that matters))
I'll check with the Body Shop tomorrow confirm some details on the part etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HuSSker: Checked and correct HVAC for think 70 something to 93 Caprice. So that problem is solved per say. There is a hose that is hanging in the area just behind EVAP Canister that the Body shop thought went to some sort of Vacuum Bottle hence the HVAC globe thing they ordered which caused this thread.

Tracked the hose it and it goes to EVAP Canister. In the link below it is the hose that goes to part 6 (T Fitting). I have the hose coming off the Canister going to T Fitting and one short hose continuing straight off the T Fitting and another short hose coming off the bottom of the T fitting (this hose not shown in below link (part diagram)).

Where pray tell do those hoses off the T fitting go? Are they just drain lines or open to atmosphere lines?

See Link
https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=367389&ukey_product=2679794

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also in the Shop Manual 1996 B Platform Page 6E-455 it shows the line going to the T Fitting. The two lines coming off the T Fitting but doesn't show where they go.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Also in the Shop Manual 1996 B Platform Page 6E-455 it shows the line going to the T Fitting. The two lines coming off the T Fitting but doesn't show where they go.
They are the atmospheric vent.
The t has 2 short stubs going nowhere.
Mine terminated inside the right fender

I have always understood the reason for the 2 hoses ends sitting in slightly different places is,

At speed and different conditions there will be spots under the hood that will be slightly above or below normal air pressure.

By having the two different vent positions, you will never siphon or pressurize the canister .

Might be wrong, but that is my take

1 - 10 of 10 Posts