Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I walked out to find a puddle of oil or hydraulic fluid under my headlight. Not even sure if this is the proper forum but any ideas what it would be? Car fluid levels are good...are there shock absorbers behind the bumper? Fluid was on passenger side where no oil lines run. Is it my blinker fluid? The car still operates normally so I'm not that worried about it but would like to know.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I'm betting it's the bumper shock.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
A few days ago I walked out to find a puddle of oil or hydraulic fluid under my headlight. Not even sure if this is the proper forum but any ideas what it would be? Car fluid levels are good...are there shock absorbers behind the bumper? Fluid was on passenger side where no oil lines run. Is it my blinker fluid? The car still operates normally so I'm not that worried about it but would like to know.
I hope that was a joke.

·
Super Moderator
6,003 Posts
Gotta be blinker fluid. It is that time of year, of course. Don't forget to refill with the winter viscosity.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What color is the oil? 9C1's have external oil, trans and P/S fluid coolers that could be the cause.
The driveway is asphalt but like any logical being I immediately touched the puddle to get an idea of the color, feel and smell of the fluid (I think most chemists tell you this is the first and most important thing to do with an unknown substance...just kidding of course).

It was a light amber color, definitely not dirty motor oil and didn't appear to be tranny fluid. I suppose it could have been power steering fluid, however the car was parked uphill in the driveway and this was definitely underneath the headlight far away from any fluid lines that I could see. I would think most vital fluids would have run back underneath the car.

So it sounds like a bumper shock...although if its blinker fluid, this could be a vital oversight.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I don't own one, but doesn't the power steering cooler line on the 9C1 run near there as previously mentioned? If it's the bumper shock, that is easy to inspect also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts