Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOund out my no start was from a bad ICM. GOt a new Duralast ICM but it didn't come with the white grease to put on the back. What kind do i use? I bought some white lithium grease but when i looked in the repair manual it just states to use the silicon grease included with the new part. So do i need silicon grease and if so is there a special kind?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Take it back to the store and get another one. These modules need the right dielectric material. If the store gives you any grieve just ask for a refund. Advance Auto parts sells the AC Delco replacement unit and it comes with the grease.

Good luck,

Jose Rodriguez

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
After i ruined an ICM, i used two nuts just a bit larger than the bolt and spaced it off the cylinder head. Has worked great for me

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The grease serves as a thermoconductor (to keep the module cool) and also conducts electricity for a good ground (correct me if I am wrong!). For some reason they call it "dielectric" grease despite, as everybody knows, dielectrics do not conduct electricity by definition.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Dielectric grease and heat sink compounds are 2 different things. See the link on this subject.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
or any pc shop will sell Artic Silver heatsink compound, primo stuff.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya the "mechanic" at pepboys told me to get the dielectric grease but i knew he was wrong so i went back to the autozone and they gave me a packet out of another ICM. Its weird how they dont sell the grease at an auto parts shop but i guess that is its only use for autos.

·
Registered
581 Posts
When I cleaned up the ICM bracket I used Arctic Silver 5 heatsink compound. I also heard a tip to use 2 bolts(one on each side) to act as a standoff between the cylinder head and the ignition module to help improve reliability of it. I figure bolts are cheap, ignition modules are not, and is still grounded well through the bolts to the engine while reducing heatsoak from the engine to the ICM. - Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts