off the top of my head, the following comes to mind
STIFF rear shocks
soft front shocks
STICKY tires (like slicks or good drag radials)
disconnect the front swaybar...hell just remove it
airbag in the right rear spring
STIFF rear swaybar (stock works...but stiffer should be better)
quality aftermarket rear lower control arms
maybe a pair of instant center brackets, if you don't mind moving the swaybar closer to the ground
then do a search...look for what SSMOKEM posted about mods to try to hook better back a little while ago
1) Adjustable shocks up front, like HALs, set on 1 to 3
2) No front sway bar
3) Lightweight front tires and rims
4) Relocate battery to trunk
5) 3 way rear drag shocks set to middle position
6) Hotchkiss or similar lower control arms
7) VERY IMPORTANT: Metco instant center brackets
8) air bag on passenger rear set on 15-20psi
9) good sized rear gear, 3.73 and up
10) cam sized to provide maximum torque at stall speed of converter, or size converter to flash to cam's maximum torque RPM
11) STICKY tires
12) Line-Loc control for good burnouts
13) Keep tires spinning all the way to the lights
14) NAIL the throttle HARD from just above idle and let the converter flash
On my stock bottom 350 Impala, I got a 1.87 NA and a 1.67 on the juice, which is really not all that good, but with a bit more practice and tweaking, I probably could have cut another 1/2 tenth out of it.
I did run a TH400 tranny, which really hurt at the take-off due to the fairly tall 1st gear of 2.48. With a 4L60E, my guess is I could probably have cut a 1.77-1.79 NA and a 1.57-1.59 on the juice.
On the juice, I hooked so hard that the rims flattened the tires down to the ground and my neck snapped hard against the headrest, but as the suspension unloaded, I started spinning around 30' out. As I said, I needed more tweaking and practice.
SSMOKEM glad to see your back around.I'm copying some of your old mods,but what are metco instant center brackets? and will shocks off of a older impala fit and the upper control arms from my 79 malibu?