Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After discussion on the "audio" topic and as my car is a '96 RDM wagon, i post here these questions:
- What car stereo (head unit) do you have if you switched to aftermarket stereo ?
Pioneer ? Kenwood ? Alpine ?
- Do you have installed it in the original location with a "GM dash kit" ?
- Or do you have bought a special unit (1 1/2 or 2 DIN, see the post "Legacy" in the audio section) ?

Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have my stock head unit, but I want to install a stock Impala SS head unit w/CD player. It's my favorite head unit simply because it has the speed-controlled volume feature. It's going to be a pian, though, because not only is the fit not 100%, but the wire bundles are in no way/shap/form close to one another. Plus, an additional wire has to be run from the unit to the PCM in order to make the SCV functional.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a cheapo Panasonic deck with a GM dash kit, it was just to get me by. My car had a tape deck no cd and there is nothing worse than have to rewind and rewind to hear your favorite song again.
JC Whitney has these great ones that are made just to fit the gm dash, they are wide to fill the hole but the depth is short.
They look the best IMO with a stock dash now if you do a custom dash the other ones can look pretty good too. I do not like the way mine sticks out at all :(

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alpine CDM7824....look at my threads....installed with the GM adaptor...looks bad IMO so.....I am switching to the Metra 99-3900 1 1/2 din to flush mount it and add an eq under it. Should be in this weekend if it shipped on time.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eclipse 7002, flip up screen control unit. You must add components to this unit, i.e. cd changer, dvd player, GPS navigation, etc. Size of single din unit. I believe Eclipse makes a double din model with touch screen.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by CASSUAL:
Eclipse 7002, flip up screen control unit. You must add components to this unit, i.e. cd changer, dvd player, GPS navigation, etc. Size of single din unit. I believe Eclipse makes a double din model with touch screen.
Thatd be the AV-8533 and the AV-3423 units with 7" flipout and dvd/mp3 which are just DIN sized. They had 2DINs but discontinued them. They have 2DIN units over-seas in Japan but not over here yet. Supposedly going to have them this year in their AVN series. Ive seen in a few pictures from the CES show early January.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The pioneer 77, and XM. sounds great, cheap on ebay, direct fit, three sets of pre-outs.

Peter

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clarion VRX935VD. 7" touch screen, DVD, MP3, Sirius, DTS, Dolby Digital, CENet, ect... Din sized unit with a flat gm kit.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eclipse 5342R. This was new in like '99? Can't remember.

I'm no longer impressed with Eclipse's features, although they still put out great sound. Sometime this year when new Alpine decks will control the iPod, I'm going to upgrade to one of those.

I'd like to have an in-deck DVD player without a stupid touch screen. Can't stand that idea. If it takes mounting a DVD player elsewhere, so be it. Ideally, I'd move the single-DIN deck to where the HVAC controls are and put a widescreen monitor in where the radio was. Just dreamin', though.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pioneer DEH-p3500. Picked it up on ebay from Barneys Electronics (forgot the location. I think NJ) for $145 bucks after Shipping. Brand new in the box never used. Then turned around and used receipt to get a $20.00 mail in rebate on it.. so compared to a couple of other kids @ school who have it, I think 125$ is a lot better than $180-$200..

sorry for the crappy pics. I even used the space below the CD player to mount switches (well one anyways and it will look pretty good when I get a piece of powdercoated aluminum plate in there. I broke the plastic trying to drill hole for switch hehe).

Matt

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alpine CDA-D857 Full size GM Din (No longer Available from Alpine) Flush Fit GM Kit.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eclipse CD5441

This is about as flush as the installer was able to get it...He used Monster Micro XLN Interconnects which have compact RCA connectors to help with clearance issues. I've seen better flush mounts but I'm still satisfied with this. My biggest concern was to avoid using the kit that protrudes out from the dash...that was done once on a previous car -- UNSAT!

I absolutely love this HU (though I almost went for a Nak)! Clean, simple, symmetric. Glossy black look works with the glossy black Impala SS nameplate. Circular controls consistent with HVAC controls. Very clean and strong signal to the amps. Excellent buy as it was being replaced by the virtually identical CD5442.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all input !
It seems that some aftermarket radios are deeper than OEM and ther's some clearance problem at back ?
I'll buy a JVC KD-SX990 (mp3/cd) mainly because i've read on the Crutchfield site that this unit could be tuned to european frequencies:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OsoA4LO0YNX/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?a=&s=0&cc=01&g=62700&id=essential_info&i=257KDSX990
(then see "detailed infos"). I know that this unit isn't available at Crutchfield but i've located it in other stores (130 to 150 $)
I've asket the question (about frequencies) at JVC but no replies ...

Where can i buy the "installer kits" (dash kit, harness etc..) ? http://www.partsexpress.com/index.cfm ?
http://paudio.tripod.com/installationkits.html ?
Others ? Are these kits identical or some are better than others

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Crutchfield will include everything you need to install it. They'll add the correct adapter plate, wiring harness, and antenna adapter.

The faceplate they give you pushes the radio out about 3/4". I didn't like the look so I went to BestBuy and got their GM install kit. Both kits are made by Metra and the flat plate from the BB kit just snapped into the much nicer metal tray from Crutchfield.

Most places either sell kits from Metra or Scosche.

BTW I have the same Alpine 7995 head unit that Ed has...

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Clarion DRX9575 with gm dash kit. I love it, and plan on putting it in my next car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts