Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a '94 9C1 Caprice last July with 105,000 miles on it which, up until two weeks ago, has been running great.

Now a year later, she has 110,000 miles and when I hit 2nd gear she struggles, whistles and wanes until I lighten my foot on the gas for her to switch to 3rd & then it's smooth sailing.

I took it to my mechanic today who said I have no transmission fluid, he fills it up then drives it, same thing. He tells me I need to take it to the transmission guy. I take it there, he test drives it and tells me all gears are fine except 2nd, he puts it on the lift and does what he does then tells me the transmission definitely has to come out "there's no way around it." Cost? Between $1100 & $1500. I can honestly say this is cheaper than I thought but I'm a struggling college student trying to save every penny.

Now I have a thousand questions running through my mind. I'm from NY and I live, work and go to school in areas where public transportation is easily accessible. But, after owning a car for four years it has spoiled me. Do I technically NEED a car? No. But I plan on moving to an area in a few months months where I would need a car more than I do right now (moreso to get take my girlfriend around). And after owning a car for four years it's hard to turn back to taking the bus.

My questions are:

1. If I have him rebuild the tranny, will it last me for a long time or will the result be up in the air?

2. Do I have any other options?

3. What would you do?

thanks.

· Registered
2,116 Posts
If I was looking at spending $1100-$1500 on a rebuild, I'd just buy another one, as they run about the same cost, even from the dealer, which includes a 100,000 mile warranty.

· Premium Member
8,748 Posts
If I was looking at spending $1100-$1500 on a rebuild, I'd just buy another one, as they run about the same cost, even from the dealer, which includes a 100,000 mile warranty.
Labor to R & R?????

KW

· Registered
2,116 Posts

· Registered
214 Posts
I have no idea. I've never paid someone to do something so simple.
LOL... Yeah tranny R & R isn't hard if you've done anything on a car before but the OP may not have access to some of the basics that you need to do the job..

Definitely don't get some mechanic to rebuild the tranny for you because it will go bad again. The 4L60E is notorious for going out multiple times. Buy a tranny from a reliable tranny builder on the forum and you'll be much happier and safer and end up saving money in the long run.

· Registered
2,116 Posts
I wish installing a tranny was simple for me. I'm still trying decide what to do.
Well, I'm certain you're capable, the next trick is getting the guidance and facilities. Being in NY, there are a couple of good forum members out there that might be willing to help you out at their place for little or nothing. First, you'd get it done for cheap, second, you'll learn how your car goes together, and lastly, you'll make friends!

That's a win-win!

If you lived in CO, I could tell you how this story would end.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm certain you're capable, the next trick is getting the guidance and facilities. Being in NY, there are a couple of good forum members out there that might be willing to help you out at their place for little or nothing. First, you'd get it done for cheap, second, you'll learn how your car goes together, and lastly, you'll make friends!

That's a win-win!

If you lived in CO, I could tell you how this story would end.
Wow! Since Impala SS forums' members are so generous, I'll officially make a request. Is there any NYC forum members willing to let me use their facilities to learn how to install a transmission? I can't offer much but if you're willing we can work something out!

· Premium Member
8,748 Posts

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Called up the Chevy dealer today and they say $1795 for a 4BWD. No other models available.
Yeah, that's full list price. Some dealers stick to that price, some don't. Luckily, we have a couple around here that don't.

· Registered
938 Posts
I was kind of in the same boat, What I would do is search craigslist/junkyards for a tranny from a wrecked car (if its not wrecked then chances of bad tranny are higher)... I found one for $250 from a wrecked ss on craigslsit with only 38k miles on it... I never did any major mechanical jobs in my 20year life but me a my brother went for it anyways and changed the transmissions out.... Let me tell you its Way easier than it seems... Just sucks having only jackstands. Took us about 6 hours total and now it runs great... Id say go for it and try to replace yourself...

· Registered
938 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Bubblekid, does the transmission just have to
simply be installed or are there other parts needed?
All you have to do basicaly is remove like 6-8 bolts , crossmemeber, shaft etc... take off the old one and install the new... I just didnt fell like paying 4-500 to get it done... Just while you have the replacement out before you put it in, change the gasket and drain the fluid and put on new filter... Oh and make sure you get the right year, b/c I believe the 94 is slighly different than 95-96... Then bolt up and roll. Good luck if you try, but dont be scared or nervous b/c its not as bad as it seems... I was really suprised we actually acomplished it (dont know much about cars/ mechanical work)and it felt good once you get in and spin the tires and nothing slips :D

· Registered
1,316 Posts
I am actually taking on the same project on my 95 caprice soon. I bought off ebay a transmission adapter for my floor jack that lets you angle the trans. Several people told me it makes it much easier going in. I don't know if its necessary, but you might as well do it while your in there, you might want to replace the front pump seal where the torque converter goes. Its only $6 for the part.

· Registered
2,116 Posts
I don't know if its necessary, but you might as well do it while your in there, you might want to replace the front pump seal where the torque converter goes. Its only $6 for the part.

YES.
----

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am actually taking on the same project on my 95 caprice soon. I bought off ebay a transmission adapter for my floor jack that lets you angle the trans. Several people told me it makes it much easier going in. I don't know if its necessary, but you might as well do it while your in there, you might want to replace the front pump seal where the torque converter goes. Its only $6 for the part.
Okay. So do I go to Autozone and ask for a "front pump seal where the torque converter goes."? Excuse my ignorance but I usually just drive cars. Should I also ask for a transmission filter at Autozone?

· Registered
1,316 Posts
Okay. So do I go to Autozone and ask for a "front pump seal where the torque converter goes."? Excuse my ignorance but I usually just drive cars. Should I also ask for a transmission filter at Autozone?
I picked up both the pump seal and the filter/seal (its a kit) at Advance, but autozone should carry it too. And yes, ask for the front pump seal and they should know what you are talking about.

· Registered
28 Posts
Need new tranny

I had the exact same problem with my 9C1, it would not shift out of second. I ended up just replacing the tranny with a new high performance one with an upgraded torque converter. I spent about $3K.

I sympathize that you are a student but you are actually in a good position. Since you have local transportation you can save gas money by not driving your car for a while which will allow you to buy a new tranny. Don't get a rebuilt, get a new aftermarket one that will last you longer and allow you to upgrade the engine later on if you want, also it will help your resale value. Sorry there is no easy solution. I guess you have to ask yourself if you want to keep it or not.

You can also google: Frederico Performance. Tom Frederico can help you get a new tranny.

· Registered
2,116 Posts
You can also google: Frederico Performance. Tom Frederico can help you get a new tranny.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cwm2 cwm2 cwm2

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.