Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting close to sending my PCM in for a tune, is there any little cheaper(less than $50) upgrades I should do to my car before I send in the PCM that would make a difference in my tune? Right now I just have a stock LT1 with a KandN with 125k on it...Also any certain parts of the tune I should do for sure on just my stock motor with K and N?

My goal is just to have an overall better running car with a little more "pep" to it...Right now the shift points seem a little odd/car at WOT pops, I did a search and found it may be the rpm limiter...

BTW I have a 95 SS.Here are some basic questions Before I contact PCMperformance

Like removing the Vats, would this help as far as an alarm/remote start install is coming soon(I ask bc bestbuy charges like $60 more for a Vats bypass)?

RPM/speed limitors, Speed limiter gone for sure, but RPM limiter? I think mine pops at WOT....

POWER TUNE= spark timing and fuel maps customized for maximum performance - Sounds like a good idea???

Changing the Octane really necessary/benefits?

Obviously do the lower fan on temp setting correct?

Even mess with shift points?

Any other Ideas? Thx for the help as always....

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The most important thing you can do is make sure all your engine's routine tune-up items are in good repair. That means filters, fluids, plugs, wires, PCV valve, etc.

There is some room for more agressive ignition timing and tweaking the fuel tables. Datalogging and reflashing yourself is really the easiest way to do this, otherwise its kind of like flying blind as every engine is a little different.

You should NOT remove the RPM limiter. It protects the engine.

Lower fan temps.

You can mess with shift points and shift firmness. Depends on your personal tastes.

Get a premium tune only if you want to pay the extra expense of running premium fuel.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Exactly what Cletus said and I will add more. Your PCM tune should the very last thing to do after many other things are addressed first. Do you know the history of your car - how long have you had it and how well has it been maintained? How about a compression check (or even better a leakdown test)? Use oil? Any broken manifold bolts (exhaust leak)? Cleaned the MAF? Condition of cats, EGR, oxy sensors, cap and rotor, opti, etc? Condition of injectors and intake system? A process like this can work wonders:

http://cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html

Many users have had good results with Seafoam or similar. You want to know about $50 max upgrades and want it to run "better" so I wonder if you have been cheap with your car. A PCM tune is not a silver bullet if there are other issues. At 125K all sorts of things become a factor. Have you had smog tests and what were the results?
Tell us a little more about the condition.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K thx guys, Well Ive had the car for about 4 months now,a few mods but no motor mods yet...I really don't want to put many engine mods into a 125k motor. I want to keep it running good but not like mod it into a racer...

History of car was supposely well maintained, it is a very clean car and a very clean engine compared to others I have seen...CEL has not came on yet...It runs just perfect, and I have lots of trust in it... but the only thing killing me is at the start of WOT it like pops and seems like its over revving/shifting a little late, after that she takes off...

No exhaust leaks, MAF didnt know what it was until I just searched I will take a look tommorow...

Opti seems fine , I need to search how to check the condition.

O2s etc are fine as well.

As far as the $50 upgrades I meant any sensors/thermostat etc, I just didnt want people to say headers or anything like that... Im not afraid to put money into the car and I have the money to do it, but don't want to throw money at it if Its not necessary...Just sucks I don't know alot about the motor and stuff... Guess I better hold off on the tune for a little and inspect and research more...Thx again guys

No smog tests here, and need to find somewhere to do compression test....

I need to start reading alot more in the manual and on here...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Also, I wouldn't remove the top speed limiter function as it is there to protect you from over driving the tires. What I would do is look at the speed rating of the tires (max continueous) and have the limiter reprogramed to 5mph less. Just for a buffer. That way you can't over drive the tires and blow one out at high speed. Not a pretty scenario.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm not sure what's going on with your transmission. Hopefully, someone will be able help with that. I recommend fixing that before changing the transmission settings. You could add a 160 degree stat but, it's not necessary. I have a 160 degree stat because I wanted the car to run cooler and stay cool if I ran it at the track. At the very least, get the lower fan turn on settings and keep the 180 degree stat. Just let them know you still have the stock t-stat.

The first time I sent my pcm in, I got a premium tune. I have no idea why I did that. All I did was waste money on gas. After several weeks past, I sent it back for a 87 octane tune. There's no need for a premium tune on a basically stock LT1. If you tried to use 87 octane with a premium tune, the car would probably ping and retard timing if you ran it hard. I will keep running 87 octane until I add nitrous, a turbo or a supercharger.

I asked for the transmission shifts to be firmed up (level 2 option). It's not harsh at all, just firmer and quicker. My shift points are still stock. Also, I got the speed limiter removed. I removed it because I wanted to get rid of the Roadmaster's low 108mph limiter. However, I plan to run ZR tires in the future. I believe the stock SS speed limiter is around 145mph. That's high enough.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm not sure what's going on with your transmission. Hopefully, someone will be able help with that. I recommend fixing that before changing the transmission settings. You could add a 160 degree stat but, it's not necessary. I have a 160 degree stat because I wanted the car to run cooler and stay cool if I ran it at the track. At the very least, get the lower fan turn on settings and keep the 180 degree stat. Just let them know you still have the stock t-stat.

The first time I sent my pcm in, I got a premium tune. I have no idea why I did that. All I did was waste money on gas. After several weeks past, I sent it back for a 87 octane tune. There's no need for a premium tune on a basically stock LT1. If you tried to use 87 octane with a premium tune, the car would probably ping and retard timing if you ran it hard. I will keep running 87 octane until I add nitrous, a turbo or a supercharger.

I asked for the transmission shifts to be firmed up (level 2 option). It's not harsh at all, just firmer and quicker. My shift points are still stock. Also, I got the speed limiter removed. I removed it because I wanted to get rid of the Roadmaster's low 108mph limiter. However, I plan to run ZR tires in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts