Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this question has been answered before, but I couldn't think of good search terms.

So I saw a 1996 Caprice 9C1 at the junk yard. I got the green silicone hoses, the unmelted fuse box with a brass alternate battery post, dual fans, and the oil cooler.

When I go back, what else should I get for my wagon?

Future search words: police official heavy duty salvage

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
I know that this question has been answered before, but I couldn't think of good search terms.

So I saw a 1996 Caprice 9C1 at the junk yard. I got the green silicone hoses, the unmelted fuse box with a brass alternate battery post, dual fans, and the oil cooler.

When I go back, what else should I get for my wagon?

Future search words: police official heavy duty salvage
Nothing.
The green hoses are ugly and SOFT easily damaged though they do not age.
You say the fuse box was melted so that is garbage.
Dual fans were available on all non-tow package cars.
The 9C1 oil cooler BLINDLY cools the oil rather than using coolant temp to regulate oil temps. A lot of us outright delete the oil cooler anyway, less plumbing to leak and more oil pressure without it.

Do yourself a favor and drop the 9C1 must be a supercar metality.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Even of you dont need them grab the mirrors. there a good part to keep on hand.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Well then the fuse box made sense but brass was NOT a 9C1 thing. It was a zinc was a mistake so brass was a TSB in the early years and they changed to brass on the later years.

·
Registered
528 Posts
the spindles and lower control arms should be the bigger ball joints

·
Registered
400 Posts
He didn't ask about who maintains their car, he asked what he should grab.

I'd agree on the mirros, wheels if n97's, and possibly the entire rear-end if it's got disks and isn't too expensive. Off course that's not something that's all that easy to grab :)

The spindles are still available new and those junkyard ones are probably out of taper anyway by now. The lower control arms on the other hand are going to be harder to come by and may be useful to someone. Again though they aren't the easiest part to grab.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'd grab items that break often. Does the junkyard car have power windows? If so, grab the switch assemblies from every door (the little plastic switchs do eventually break, and as I found they are a pain to find anywhere). The mirrors, as mentioned, are a good grab because eventually someone is going to hit one of yours. I had to replace the one on my 95 twice in one year. If you want, you can grab little things like the starter, get it rebuilt and hold on to it for when yours goes bad. Or the throttle body if you ever decide to send it out for a rebore to 52mm (then no down time if you only have the one car). Maybe the pcm, just to have a spare. Any interior trim plastic that is in great shape and would fit in your car, if any of yours is needing to be replaced (probably not much since you have a wagon).

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
1 1/4" master cylinder w/ lever and pedal. PS cooling loop. Green hoses. Not suggesting the above are or aren't terribly complex or indispensable. Not going out of my way to unduly denegrate them either.

Non SEO items: door panels.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have the tow package, so I don't need the front sway arm. The 96 mirrors won't fit on our 94, so I left them. I like the later mirrors a lot better than the mini-mirrors we have, but I don't know how hard it is to swap.

I noticed that all the Caprices in the yard were missing their coolant expansion tanks. I figured that there must be something to that, and got one from a Roadmaster. I'll clean it out at my leisure, and just swap it on when I replace the black rubber hoses with green silicone. The tank we have is so gunky inside that I can't see the fluid level.

There were no wheels anywhere. They must be the first things to go.

I got a set of green hoses, except for the lower radiator hose. I left another set. It looks like the C-for-C people are draining the radiators by cutting the lower hose with a Sawzall.

I did get the passenger door switches from a Roadmaster. I suppose I ought to get the driver's ones too. It was cold, and I was worried about trying to remove things that had plastic clips.

A lot of people in the Parts for Sale forum are listing wiper motors. Do those go bad?

I thought the whole junkyard experience was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
"I have the tow package, so I don't need the front sway arm."

Ah, but you might want it for your b wagon, since ALL wagons, towing or not, had 28mm front bars, whereas all 9C1's/Impalas/any make b/d body tow pack sedan came with 30mm front bar.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Is 28mm the size that came on the FE1 Sedan's as well? I didn't know even the tow pack suspesnion on the wagon had the smaller front bar. Learn something new every day. I can see why tho, to keep the steering more balanced, and not understeer happy. ?

If you want a rear bar for your wagon, steal a bar off a Crown Vic, Town Car, Grand Marquis, if they have any in the lot. The size varried on them, and I don't know what years. But I do know the Police Cars had a rather small rear bar. There should be a thread going on in the Wagon section. :)

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=231762

The wiper motors do fail, or get SLOOOOW. My 96 9C1, the arms move in slow motion. The highest speed is slower than my other cars on the normal constant speed. Having a spare alt around is a pretty good idea. Never know when you might have one go out, and it always seems to happen on at a time when the parts stores will be closed, and then you find out you can't get one till the next day once they open.

The steam line that runs along the back of the heads, and then down the pass side of the intake, is a discontinued GM item. They never seemed like a hot FS item, but I can see them getting harder to find in the future. I have set a few aside in my stash of parts for those days. Doesn't seem like they ever really fail, but they are easy to misplace during a head swap.

You could pull the rear disc brake off the police rearend. You can't use it on your wagon(the axle tube doesn't neck down on the axle), but the backing plates are discontinued(i think). I have seen the backing plates sell for about $75-$150 for a pair. Just a thought if you wanted to try and make a few $$$. But to get the plates off, you have to pull the axle shafts. To do that, you have to get in the rear, pull the center pin, and then pull the C-clips. We all know gear oil stinks pretty bad, so not sure if you'd wanna screw with it. If they had a posi, and it worked, you could sell it for about $100. Not sure how the prices are. I know at the local U-pull its around here, you can get stuff really cheap. You can get an entire rear axle for about $200, so the parts off it shouldn't be THAT much. Just a thought. These are the sort of things that go through my head at the junkyard. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.