Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have 183k miles on my motor and I've already had to replace 2 injectors (origional equip.) over the past year. Now I'm in the market for new injectors but I don't know what has proven to last in a set up like mine.

I have a stock 350 with OBD1, K&N open intake, Tri-y's, 3" Random Tech Cats, 3:73 gears, 400lb posi, 3" exahaust, 50 series flow masters, CPT level 3 transmission, 2200 stall TC, 255lph fuel pump and thats about it.

I think its time to replace my o2 sensors too.

Anyway, I found some injectors at Summit and wanted to get your take on them. I'm not racing my car or adding any internal engine parts. 14volt impedence, 12 v saturated, 26 - 40lbs. I want to get the highes lbs without having to change the throttle body size, MAF, fuel pressure regulator, PCM programing, etc.

What do you recommend and why?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...350/Department/Air-Fuel-Delivery/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm in the market for new injectors.

I have a stock 350.

I'm not adding any internal engine parts. I want to get the highes lbs without having to change the throttle body size, MAF, fuel pressure regulator, PCM programing, etc.

What do you recommend and why?
The highest you can go without changing anything is stock 24lb injectors.
GM 17124248
AC Delco 217-313

The GM part description thanks to RMS

If you change to any other higher lb injector at the least you will need new programming to let the computer know how much fuel the new injector is flowing. So if you are keeping a stockish motor stick to the stock injectors.

·
Premium Member
20,400 Posts
......So if you are keeping a stockish motor stick to the stock injectors.
Agreed.

And 180+K miles and two injector replacemants ain't that bad of a record.

IMHO, of course.

KW

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I recommend the SVO 30's for your application. You should never change injector size without reprogramming the PCM.

-Paul

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No one can recommend the Accels in the link huh? Oh well, I guess I'll go with what has proven to work for you guys.

And 180+K miles and two injector replacemants ain't that bad of a record.
yeah someone else said the same thing. Now one or more of the others are starting to freak out when I excelerate from low RPM's.

Where do I find them?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm

I recommend the SVO 30's for your application. You should never change injector size without reprogramming the PCM.

-Paul
So, I'd definately need reprogramming? What about the fuel pressure regulator?

No biggy if I do, Brian Herter has been good to me so I guess I'll give him a shout if need be.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
20,400 Posts
......What about the fuel pressure regulator......
You do not need a new fuel pressure regulator......but if you do, get a stocker.

Adjustable FPR is never necessary unless you're doing a power adder.

And no.......take a pass on the Accel injectors. The MIGHT be OK now, but historically they were garbage!

SVO's = Ford Special Vehicle Option. You can find them anywhere that aftermarket injectors are sold…..Google ;) .

But unless you have ported heads and a cam in your future, stock (24 LB) injectors should be fine.

BTW……you can get 24 LB SVO injectors, too. But they’re rated at a different fuel pressure than GM injectors, so you still should have Bryan do a tune for them.

KW

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I ordered a set of injectors from RPM Outlet before. They shipped quickly and at the time the price was very competitive.

+1 on using the stock (or stock GM replacement) fuel pressure regulator. I hate to see adjustable FPR's. A lot of them leak and they are usually a band-aid used to fix a fuel injector issue (Running high psi on stock injectors vs. running stock psi on efficient injectors.)

Adjustable FPR is never necessary unless you're doing a power adder.
My Procharged 383 is pumping out about 610 horsepower at the crankshaft and I am still running the factory ORIGINAL 15 year old regulator that came on the car back in 1994. :)

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
There used to be a link, that showed the different spray patterned of the common performance injectors, and the SVO pattern was deamed one of the better ones. IIRC, the Accels spray pattern was not.

I know you used to be able to get a set of 8 GM 24lbs/hr fuel injectors for not very much. And they were way less than $100 each. But when you can get a set of SVO 30's for about $250 for a set of 8, it's hard to pass up, since it gives you room to grow JUST INCASE, you ever decide to go with a more powerful setup. The guy I got my 94 9C1 from put a set of flow matched GM injectors on it before I got it. He had a 383 with SVO 30's on it, and did his own tuning. So I bet if the SVO 30's were cheaper, he would have gone that route. But, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, okay, okay

My Procharged 383 is pumping out about 610 horsepower at the crankshaft and I am still running the factory ORIGINAL 15 year old regulator that came on the car back in 1994. :)
Nice, I'd definitely add points to my driving record with that setup.

SVO's = Ford Special Vehicle Option. You can find them anywhere that aftermarket injectors are sold…..Google .

BTW……you can get 24 LB SVO injectors, too. But they’re rated at a different fuel pressure than GM injectors, so you still should have Bryan do a tune for them.

KW
So I midus well go with the 30's.

Thanks,

Will

Ok, I'm going to email Bryn tomorrow and order the SVO 30's in the morning.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
964 Posts
Honestly, I would really stick with the stock injectors unless you have a real need to use something bigger. I don't know how Bryan or any of the other tuners programs for these other injectors, but there is a LOT more to it than just scaling up the static flow value. If you put other injectors in without setting ALL of the proper values, there are going to be lean and rich spots in the tune that you can never get rid of.

This document should be required reading for anyone considering a non-stock injector no matter what vehicle or tuning software they are working with:
http://calibratedsuccess.com/Assets/Documentation/Fuel Injector Article.pdf

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boo!

Honestly, I would really stick with the stock injectors unless you have a real need to use something bigger. I don't know how Bryan or any of the other tuners programs for these other injectors, but there is a LOT more to it than just scaling up the static flow value. If you put other injectors in without setting ALL of the proper values, there are going to be lean and rich spots in the tune that you can never get rid of.

This document should be required reading for anyone considering a non-stock injector no matter what vehicle or tuning software they are working with:
http://calibratedsuccess.com/Assets/Documentation/Fuel Injector Article.pdf

I guess I should stop asking scary questions; but you've got a point, I don't want to be screwing around with lean and rich conditions being that I drive this car 5 days a week 60 - 80 miles a day.

ok guys, has anyone had an issue with the SVO 30's on a setup similar to mine using B.H. programing?

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
736 Posts
The 30Lb SVO are a pretty standard swap so I am sure the Bryan can program them to work with no problems.

But you keep saying you are not going to do anything else to the motor. If that is the case the stock injectors will just be better for you. The only reason to swap to the 30lb SVO's is if you are thinking heads, cam, forced induction, something that could cause your motor to need more fueling than can be met by the stock injectors that are already programmed in you computer.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 30Lb SVO are a pretty standard swap so I am sure the Bryan can program them to work with no problems.

But you keep saying you are not going to do anything else to the motor. If that is the case the stock injectors will just be better for you. The only reason to swap to the 30lb SVO's is if you are thinking heads, cam, forced induction, something that could cause your motor to need more fueling than can be met by the stock injectors that are already programmed in you computer.
But if the 24lb SVO's are rated higher in GM's and I need programing anyway I midus well get the 30lb-ders since they are closely priced.

I asked one of the guys at fuelinjectorconnection.com to clarify the 24lb SVO rating in GM's. I'll let you guys know what they say.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I asked one of the guys at fuelinjectorconnection.com to clarify the 24lb SVO rating in GM's. I'll let you guys know what they say.
Ford fuel system runs at 39 psi, ours at 43.5 psi. The injector rating will be around 25.5 at LT1 fuel pressure.

·
Registered
736 Posts
But if the 24lb SVO's are rated higher in GM's and I need programing anyway I midus well get the 30lb-ders since they are closely priced.

I am not suggesting the 24lb SVO - try to find stock GM - AC Delco injectors

Here is a place that sells rebuilt stock injectors
http://www.injectorwhse.com/servlet/the-21537/Fuel-Injector,-OEM-Numbers/Detail

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the response from Jon at fuelinjectorconnection.com

anything over a 22 will need programming.. there are companies like PCM for less
that will burn those chips for a reasonable price. The SVO 24 avtually flow 25.6 and will
support your mods.. we have flow matched sets on sale new for 279.
I'm going with these and the B.H. programming.

Thanks guys,
Will

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
No obd1 reprogramming for SVO 24lb injectors

I asked Jon at fuelinjectorconnection.com if the 24lb injectors would need programming for the obd1 and he said:
no programming, just put them in. The 94 lt1 uses a 24.45 stock so these will work fine...

... the early lt1 in the vettes 92 used a 22lb.. the ss is a
24. so the svo a little bigger will work fine, even without a tune. . the o2 will make up
the difference they are 275 new and the gm replacements are not e10 compliant

here is the link: http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=4
ps they are $275.. for the set.. Thats a deal, the sets are flow matched also

Thanks
Jon
I first found reference to this site on the LS1 forum (http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/1066267-svo-30-injectors-whats-difference.html) and saw that they seemed to have a great deal of knowledge and the product I needed. Now after having dealt with Jon, I'm convinced they know what they are talking about and I found other posts that show they stand by their product.

I will repost after the install and test drive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.