Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inadvertently slightly buggered the first thread on the bolt on the high pressure power steering hose, so that it won't seat quite right and screw into the steering gearbox. (Yeah, my fault. I have R&Red a half dozen or so steering gearboxes on this car without screwing it up, so apparently the sixth time is the charm.)

Before I go spending $50 on a new hose (and this one is literally almost brand new), I'm going to get a grade 8 nut and force thread it onto the bolt to clean up the threads. (The steering gear is fine--I was able to screw in the plug no problem, although I no longer have it so I can't take it to the hardware store to match it up to a nut.)

As far as I can tell, it's an 18mm bolt, so does that mean that an M18 nut would work? Coarse thread, I presume? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Flesh, If it's 18 MM how about something like this? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pow-pow351690/overview/ YOu should be able to get one locally though. I have a set of SAE thread chasers and will get a metric set too.

Well shoot, I read what you wrote and I missed that it was the fitting on the hose. My thought is to get an inexpensive tap & die set. Think HF. I would do that before using a nut to clean it up.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
The head is 18mm, but the threads are somewhat smaller. I do not know the thread size or pitch.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I always had good luck using a very small file.
Got several just for stuff like this.
Works well.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do yourself a favor and get a NEW high pressure line from rock auto.
They're only like $20. C'mon man!
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1996,caprice,5.7l+v8,1037506,steering,power+steering+pressure+hose,7320
This IS an almost-brand-new hose, and it's the AC Delco one. More like $40 shipped.

Anyway, I got it resolved. I put several loops of teflon tape on the threads and that was enough to get them to bite so I could get the bolt screwed in.

It is M18, and it's fine thread. Not sure what pitch, but it's definitely less than 2.50. I couldn't find an M18 fine thread nut locally.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
AC Delco means nothing. Its just rebranded from China like everything else
with 50% markup to make you feel special! ;)
Anyway, I hope your jimmy rig stays leak free!

Nab

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AC Delco means nothing. Its just rebranded from China like everything else
with 50% markup to make you feel special! ;)
Anyway, I hope your jimmy rig stays leak free!
Nab
I don't think that AC Delco stuff is necessarily rebranded Chinese junk. My wagon kept blowing one of its AC lines and my mechanic at the time kept replacing them with whatever cheapy made in China hose he could find. I finally replaced it with an AC Delco line and it's been solid for years.

Same thing with the alternator--I went through 3 or 4 Remy lifetime warranty units from Rock Auto, all of which had various issues (and each one had a different issue). I then bought an AC Delco, which looked identical down to the stickers, but which has worked flawlessly for 20K miles or so. I suspect it came from the same factory, but just tested "better" than the units that got badged as Remys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts