Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i bought the car i immediately bought a stereo and just bought a quick adapter install kit thing from walmart for like 15 or so. its got the fake wood grain on it and sticks out a little bit and its time to get a new one. which ones do you guys use?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I think the one I used is a Scosche and I used a dremel to get extra clearance behind my single din head unit so it would mount flush.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This one allows you to mount the head unit flush to the dash:

Metra 99-3300

You can find it on eBay.

You have to remove a bracket that attached to the stock head unit; the instructions explain how to do this. Google Metra 99-3300 and you can download the instructions.

It's plain black plastic - nothing fancy. But the head unit doesn't stick out at all from the dash. I just installed a JVC receiver using this. The install kit that Crutchfield sent would have resulted in the receiver protruding one inch from dash!

Somewhere on this forum there was a thread about a member who was manufacturing these from metal, much nicer looking.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that might be an option. im looking for something like this with the little slot beneath it. what got me on the hunt was i saw one in a car for sale

i found that one on amazon but according to them it doesn't fit my car

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
They say it doesn't fit because you need to take a dremel and take out the little mounting point in the back of the stock pocket. The one that the stock radio fits in. This gives you enough space to flush mount.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
I picked up that particular metra kit from amazon for half the price of that ebay one.
it does stick out, probably will get a different kit and cut the back of the dash opening so the head unit sits more flush.
but I wanted my head unit replaced asap so this will do for now.
btw new head units are so much better in sound quality, I could tell the difference before I even set up the eq and speaker parameters.

·
Registered
124 Posts
the kit you will want to use is from thedetailss.com its a all steel kit that also allows you to install a double din and make it look 100%factory.the kit also lets you flip the a/c controls and places the stereo up top for a better look and function.Believe me its worth taking a look at it and worth the money IMHO.
its one of those times where the adage you get what you pay for really comes into play

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
the kit you will want to use is from thedetailss.com its a all steel kit that also allows you to install a double din and make it look 100%factory.the kit also lets you flip the a/c controls and places the stereo up top for a better look and function.Believe me its worth taking a look at it and worth the money IMHO.
its one of those times where the adage you get what you pay for really comes into play
nah, I am well aware of that kit and its history so I don't want to travel down that path.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm unaware of its history so update me please
I as well am un aware of the history.I just installed one for the BAD IMP and honestly i had zero issues with it.Heck ive been installing car audio for over 20 years and ive used almost every kit out there,The detailss kit was to me and again its my 02 cents,The best kit ive used of its kind.Yea the instructions werent the best its why i took the time to help the company re write it because it left alot of pictures and instructions out,But all in all it was dirt simple and made the install i did super clean.So please do tell what was the history because i would really like to hear it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Im aware im happy with "MY DetailSS kit" ;)

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
briefly and what I remember filtered thru crs, quality and communication issues.
that was several years ago, I am happy with the oem location also.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
I remember someone (AutocroSSer?) had problems with his kit, and was told that there was run where something happened like.. the template for the holes was in the wrong place so they were incorrectly drilled? As I recall, he fixed it himself but could have gotten a replacement unit with the problem corrected.

I stuck a 1-DIN in mine because I didn't care enough to do any kind of video back in 2005, but I REALLY liked the relocation to the top of the stack. Keeping your eyes as close to the road as possible makes this a no-brainer for me. However.. if someone likes the factory location that's all that matters. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I remember someone (AutocroSSer?) had problems with his kit, and was told that there was run where something happened like.. the template for the holes was in the wrong place so they were incorrectly drilled? As I recall, he fixed it himself but could have gotten a replacement unit with the problem corrected.

I stuck a 1-DIN in mine because I didn't care enough to do any kind of video back in 2005, but I REALLY liked the relocation to the top of the stack. Keeping your eyes as close to the road as possible makes this a no-brainer for me. However.. if someone likes the factory location that's all that matters. :)
Very true,To each his own,and everyone at some point has a issue with someone here and there its a part of buisness and life.All i can say is my exprience with the kit and the company has been top notch and when i see a product that works as advertised and has the fit and finish i look for i always stand by it.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts

not much of a difference as far as eye travel top or bottom mount, both are in view at same time for me.

I do not like that hvac seam or gap in their single din kit.
the other nit is I have a 96, I usually rest the right hand/forearm on the shifter and if needed I can reach the stereo controls without even looking.
however, a regular remote and in addition the new headunit can be controlled with the optional steering wheel remote I also have.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I went with the Socshe GM1505B Multi-Purpose EQ kit. The instructions are clear; there is some assembly and trimming required as it is universal kit. Nothing major, I completed the entire assembly (Head unit, EQ, and dash kit) in an hour

The dash trim does overlap the bottom wording/numbering of the EQ a bit. Not enough that I can't operate the knobs, and I can read the top of the EQ so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Dude, TheDetailSS kits are perfect! Best quality and best fit kit available. Contact Sean Anderson and he will take great care of you. I guarantee you will be satisfied the results.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts