Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea I know another dumb question sorry

I've had this problem since I owned the car. It's always been one of those I'll get to it annoyances. There should be something that stops the glove box door from completely opening to the point it dumps everything on the floor. I can't tell if something is broken or missing. Anybody have an idea? Pictures would be helpful.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Yea I know another dumb question sorry

I've had this problem since I owned the car. It's always been one of those I'll get to it annoyances. There should be something that stops the glove box door from completely opening to the point it dumps everything on the floor. I can't tell if something is broken or missing. Anybody have an idea? Pictures would be helpful.
I wasn't sure myself so just looked at my car and there is a "Stop" built into the Black Plastic (behind the Gray Panel) that the Door/Drawer assembly butts up against when open. The Door itself has a little rubber bumper about 2/3 the was across that hits this little stop.

Kinda hard to describe but I got another car I'm parting and the Gray panels are all removed, but the Black Plastic behind that is still there. If you look at the pic, just above the Orange Wire (oops - I think it's a vacuum hose), you will see what looks like a Black "V" coming down into the Glove box area. It's this little piece of plastic that the Glove Box door butts up against.

EDIT - The Pic is posted upside down for some reason. But the Passenger side door is removed (plastic there) but you can kinda see the A/C vent location for orientation.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent photo. Thank you. I have to check but I think mine broke off at some time. Looks like a good trick to break it though.

Why didn't Chevy trim those zip ties???

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Excellent photo. Thank you. I have to check but I think mine broke off at some time. Looks like a good trick to break it though.

Why didn't Chevy trim those zip ties???
It is possible the Glove Box side broke off as it's pretty flexible. I was able to pull it down a little to get it past that Black V stop and swing down more. Might be able to fab up some kind of bracket or just replace the whole box. Let me know if you need a pic of the Glove Box as I have 1 sitting on the shelf. Pretty cheesy setup though and not sure why they made it so flimsy/small contact points.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A picture would help. I can figure out if it's the box or the dash that's broken

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I was going to get you a pic but just searched the web and found this link for a used Glove Box. Look at the 3rd pic there and you will see the tiny little rubber button I mentioned and where this hits that little "V" on the dash. In that picture I would say it's at about the 1:00 position away from the Lock assembly....hope that makes sense.

https://www.ebay.com/i/293066631485?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=293066631485&targetid=541454196612&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9007343&poi=&campaignid=1881504899&mkgroupid=66933536821&rlsatarget=aud-496202329659:pla-541454196612&abcId=1139336&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6JWUwoS85AIVyZyzCh1G5AryEAQYASABEgJKv_D_BwE

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That worked, thanks. My box has that on it. So it's my dash side that's broken or missing.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you look at the pic, just above the Orange Wire (oops - I think it's a vacuum hose), you will see what looks like a Black "V" coming down into the Glove box area. It's this little piece of plastic that the Glove Box door butts up against.

you will see the tiny little rubber button I mentioned and where this hits that little "V" on the dash.
4DoorSS
I can turn it right side up but can not get it to load in the correct order:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In that second photo, my car is missing the entire V shaped piece. Well I know what's wrong now. Next is fixing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts