Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

What the f*#k is wrong with these Intrax springs?!

382 views 14 replies 0 participants last post by  91Caprice&57Chevy 
G
#1 ·
I'm so mad I'm about to spit fire right now. I've spent two days installing these stupid Intrax springs. Right now it's more crooked than Steve Buscemi's teeth. The left front sits at 26.5", right front at 28", left rear at 24", and right rear at 25", all ground to fender well. I know the back sits low on these things, but why is it all screwed up? I've had it apart twice now and I can't figure it out. I did my research before buying and before installing these springs and didn't come up with anything similar to what I'm experiencing.

And just so you don't think it's anything I've done wrong, I did this in our fully stocked shop on a lift. My ASE certified master tech even looked at it and can't explain it. Are these things really that much junk? I'm beginning to understand why the guy I bought them from sold them to me so cheap.

-Chris

G
#2 ·
somethings wrong, i had them in my car (at least the fronts cuz the rear looked to "saggy) and my car was quite even.

the mechanic did put them in with the same pigtail into the control arms and indexed the rears "in" right? the only thing i can think of is the fronts look the same either top or bottom, maybe ones in upsidedown or not in the pocket?

G
#4 ·
Since the right is too high, specificly the front right, check to see if the front sprin is indexed correctly, and in the pirch on the top corectly. Sounds like it may be hung up on the top. Did your mech use a spring compressor? Your really need to to get them in correctly. And if it is the front right spring that's not installed properly, it will hold the right rear up some. Good luck.

G
#5 ·
I've had the right front in and out three times now. It's as far in as it's going to go. It seems to be the right side up ("Intrax" and the part number are right side up). There is no pigtail pocket in the lower control arm, and the top has the factory rubber insulator on it. I'm at my wits end. I'm wondering if Intrax boxed a sh!t set of springs and I just happened to get them. The only other thing I can think is that the two front srings are different part numbers and/or spring rates.

-Chris

G
#6 ·
This may sound stupid, and I read these responces quickly so maybe I missed this, but did you line up the tail end of the bottom of the springs in between the two holes in the bottom of the spring pocket of the lower control arm???? This will cause the problem you are describing...

G
#7 ·
Originally posted by Chrisbequick:
There is no pigtail pocket in the lower control arm, and the top has the factory rubber insulator on it.
Chris, if your refering to the front, yes there is a pocket for the pigtail to go into. when the spring was out you should have seen it, and cleaned the dirt out of it so you would see the two holes in the pocket. you should be able to see the second hole, and the pigtail should cover the first hole.(with the spring installed of course).

G
#8 ·
Originally posted by 96DCMSS:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chrisbequick:
There is no pigtail pocket in the lower control arm, and the top has the factory rubber insulator on it.
Chris, if your refering to the front, yes there is a pocket for the pigtail to go into. when the spring was out you should have seen it, and cleaned the dirt out of it so you would see the two holes in the pocket. you should be able to see the second hole, and the pigtail should cover the first hole.(with the spring installed of course). </font>[/QUOTE]I did clean out the pocket and I couldn't see the pigtail slot from the top. Nevertheless, I tore the front suspension apart AGAIN this morning (fifth time now) and noted the little holes you all are referring to. Though the pigtails were close (both less than an inch off) I went ahead and set them like you've said. It sits EXACTLY the same all the way around as it did before. Is there something odd on the front suspension of B-bodies that causes this, even with the front suspension set exactly like it's supposed to be?

-Chris

G
#9 ·
During a hasty install of a set of lowering springs on the '95 I didn't get the top of the front spring lined up properly around the tangs in the spring pocket. This caused the car to sit approximately an inch higher on that side than the other. It also caused a couple of the tangs to be bent outward, preventing the spring from being reinstalled properly around the tangs. You should check and see if this has happened to your spring pocket.

G
#11 ·
When I did my springs it was very hard to get the tops of the fronts seated correctly. This may be your problem? I screwed up and torqued the CA bushings with the car in the air initially but it didn't affect the ride height.

G
#12 ·
Originally posted by threeimpalas:
During a hasty install of a set of lowering springs on the '95 I didn't get the top of the front spring lined up properly around the tangs in the spring pocket. This caused the car to sit approximately an inch higher on that side than the other. It also caused a couple of the tangs to be bent outward, preventing the spring from being reinstalled properly around the tangs. You should check and see if this has happened to your spring pocket.
Threeimpalas nailed it! I tore apart the front again and noted the little alignment tabs you were referring to. One of them got crimped in on top of the coil and wouldn't allow it to seat fully. It's fixed now and the car sits pretty good. I've never seen alignment tabs like that on any car we've ever done before, but now we know! Thanks for all the hints, everbody!

-Chris

G
#13 ·
Originally posted by Chrisbequick:
Threeimpalas nailed it! I tore apart the front again and noted the little alignment tabs you were referring to. One of them got crimped in on top of the coil and wouldn't allow it to seat fully. It's fixed now and the car sits pretty good. I've never seen alignment tabs like that on any car we've ever done before, but now we know! Thanks for all the hints, everbody!

-Chris
That's kind of what I hinted at 8 posts ago.....
maybe I just didn't explain it too well....glad you got it all figured out! :D

G
#15 ·
Whew. I am glad you got that figured out. When I installed GM SS springs, I didn't use or need a spring compressor. I had enough room. If on a lift, you can just remove the inner control arm bolts & slip them in that way. I was going to suggest to swap left for right. But you got it figured out. You guys from the "Show Me State" got to be shown. I was going to drive up there & show you. Just kidding. Ha.
Bob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.