Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys what should I replace first to see the greatest difference in steering? The steering is very sloppy it doesnt wonder on the road but Im pretty sure the steering components is original on my 9c1.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can try a new idler arm the one right in front of the AC compressor on the inner passenger side of the frame. Those are known to go bad fairly quick with factory parts and wide tires. Inspect the other greasables while under there, if they look OK but the wander is still there I would begin considering replacing it all. Do not bother doing just a balljoint or tierod end, do it all at once and pay for one alignment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As intimated, this being a 9C1[usually heavy use], if FE is mostly original, you're probably better off R&R'ing:
>Center Link
>Inner/outter Tie Rods along w/Adjusting Sleeves
>Idler Arm = HD Moog PN 'K6187T'
>Polyurethane Sway Bar End Links = Energy Susp. PN 9.8123GC, or> www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=45G0065

Ball Joints, as needed.
Upper Control Arm Bushings, as needed.
Inspect LCA Bushings.
CAREFULLY adjust play in Steering Box ~ Do Search

Do research to find the BEST Wheel Alignment Shop, in your area; i.e. too many knuckleheads out there!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely look into what those guys suggested first. If you are still unsatisfied, you might want to look into replacing the actual steering shaft itself, as it has several wear points, which can equal a lot of slop. You can go with a new OEM replacement, or try searching for "Borgeson" for a more performance oriented alternative.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.