Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks, I've been out of the audio loop since the early 90's. I have no idea what is good, bad or ugly. I lost my right rear OEM speaker so I thought I would build up a little system in my car. What speakers should I use. They must be a direct bolt it. No modifications to doors or deck. I used to like Boston speakers, are they still any good? Which model #'s? Again, its been a long time!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I like Boston Acoustics gear pretty well. I like Infinity also, they seem to make high quality gear. Rockford Fosgate used to be good but folks say they've sold out quality for quantity. My favorite amps are Precision Power (PPI), they have ultra-low distortion and clean simple looks. Everyone here seems to like Alpine head units, I have one too but the previous owner put it in. Check out www.sounddomain.com for more detailed info. I've bought stuff there too; good service and prices.

c.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have MB Quart 6x9's in the back, and they sound wonderful. They're around $200 a pair, but well worth it. They're loud and clear. They have a 2-way, and a 3-way version, and either way they sound great. For referrance, I have the 2-way. P/N is something like dsc 619 or something lilke that.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you going to be using an aftermarket head unit and amplifier for the speakers or no?

Have a budget yet?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the new PPI's sold out to U.S. acoustic so therefore that means there quaility has dropped. I've owned a pair of Infinity Components Kappa Series. (6.5) and they sucked. I blew up the one side. I went to the alpine type-x and they work great. I also like JL audio speakers and amps, Alpine head units are very good. For speakers stay with focal, image dyanmics, and Boston Acoustic Pro series. Amps i would say JL audio, Crossfire, Phoenix Gold. Headunits i like Alpine the best but Eclipse and Pioneer are good too.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi:

Front speakers - CDT Great prices at www.thezeb.com

Rear speakers - None

Headunits, amps, etc. - depends on your goals for audio. As previously recommended go to the sound domain forums to get an idea as to what's available.

John

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, just checked this post and saw guys from Naperville and North Aurora. Personally I like JL Audios speakers.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My budget is minimal......I spent WAY TOO MUCH on this stuff when I was younger. I am running an older Alpine 4V head unit. 7324 or something. Its a very good unit though I guess much better is out there these days. The car is already wired. 3 RCA cables run front to back as well as power and remote wires. Just never hooked up anything to them. As I stated in my other post, I'm looking for an old Blau 5150 amp. I really liked it when I was running 5 of them in my Jeep. Again, I'm sure much better amps are out these days. Right now I looking to replace my dead rears with an eye on the future. The right rear just quit working and the left sounds bad......anyway I guess I'm looking for a good set of 6x9's to swap out and maybe a good plate for the doors. I do not want to get back into doing a big install. I might go for a 12 or something in the future but not right now. Maybe an amp IF I can find a cheap one. I would like to keep it to a single amp hence a 5 chan. one would be good. Anyway, thanks for the input.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
get the quarts. shop around and you can get them for like 120-150 for the new(dke169 and dte169) model or 80-110 for the old one (dkc169 and dtc169). as for the front go with some discus or reference components (120-200) from mb quart also. btw ppi was bought out by dei who also has a reputation for great products, and i'd say there quality has not dropped due to it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 1st Suggestion Is To NOT Put 4X6 Speakers In The Front Doors! The Reason Is, You Would Have To Modify The 4X6 Plastic Speaker Holders For Anything Other Than a Factory Speaker. I Have Done a Couple and Needed To Use a Dremel To Mod The Holder Because Of The Larger Magnets On AfterMarket Speakers. Save Yourself The Hassle And Make Hacks 6 1/2 Wood Speaker Brackets As Shown In This Link. (Click On The Pics For actual Sizes).
Impala/Caprice 6 1/2" Speaker Templates
This Setup Works Much Easier And Sound Better!

You May Want To Consider This Alpine Amp If Your Looking For a "5-Channel Setup". I Have This Amp In My Caprice (Alpine MRV-F450). The Specs Are As Follows:
50 watts RMS x 4 + 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
60 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms + 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms.
120 watts RMS x 2 + 200 watts RMS x 1 in bridged mode.
2-, 3-, 4-, or 5-channel output
Tri-Way capable
requires 8-gauge power and ground leads ? wiring and hardware not included with amplifier.
Bass Engine features:
front and rear channels have variable 50-200 Hz high-pass/low-pass crossovers, 12 dB/octave
sub channel has a 30-200 Hz low-pass crossover, 12 dB/octave selectable (15 Hz or 30 Hz) subsonic filter on the sub channel tuned Bass EQ (6 dB bass boost at 50 Hz with adjustable Q factor, while frequencies below 30 Hz are cut by 6 dB) on the sub channel.
MOSFET power supply.
STAR Topology (minimizes internal noise and prevents ground interference)
oversized power and ground connections
gold-plated screw terminals top-mounted controls with cover detachable front cover, blue power LED
16-9/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 11-1/4"D (depth is 10" with front cover removed).

Here's The Link To This Amp, It's Alot Cheaper Off E-Bay Than Crutchfield Or E-Tronics....Mike
Alpine MRV-F450 Amp

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll throw out what is in my car. My requirements were simple : sounds good, does NOT take up trunk space, and reasonably priced (I managed to do all the below for about $1K total plus my own labor).

Speakers : Infinity Reference 6.5" components in both front door and rear deck. Mounted using Crutchfield plates in back (hey, they work surprisingly well!) and custom-made MDF adapters in front. Mounted the crossovers in the trunk on the underside of the rear deck.

Subs : two 10" Pioneer Freeair, about $120 shipped for the pair off of E-bay. Mounted them in Scott William's baffle board, firing thru the rear seat.

Amp : Planet Audio 5 channel, about $250 shipped off of E-bay. Nice amp, and it fits PERFECTLY between the 2 subs on the baffle board.

Head Unit : Alpine CDA-7995. Thread on the head unit is HERE. I originally did the setup with the stock head unit and kick-downs on the speaker outputs......this head unit sounds a LOT cleaner! As an update to that post : I also got the interface that lets my Monte Carlo wheel controls work with this head unit. Works as advertised!

Misc : 4-gauge power wire to the trunk (hidden inside the inner fender in the engine bay), 4 gauge ground wire from the amp to the trunk hinge. I also have a Delphi SkyFi XM unit mounted in the car, and it plays great thru the (optional) Aux input on the Alpine.

I'll also note that with the above installed in the trunk, I can still mount my full-size 17" Impala Spare (with 275/40R17 tire, and held down by the WADA) on the stock J-hook! If you peek in the trunk casually, you can't even see ANY of the stereo.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What can you guys tell me abou tthese amps?

punch 200ixs
punch 500m2
punch 250m2s

I tried to find links to information on them but couldn't find any. I know they are older but not very. I think I can get a good deal on any of them if I want. As for the fronts, I will go with the 6 1/2's as suggested. Probably Bostons.....how about free air subs...whose good these days?

Thanks for all the help.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not too many companies make free air subs any more. i know kenwood makes a model that is free air but its only in uk i think. mb quart reference subs can be used free air if you give them only about 75rms each.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey auto do you have pix of your set-up!! i'm doing my car also and would like some ideas!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Head unit : goto that thread I linked, some pics there.

Unfortunately, no install pics.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boston Acoustic has great speakers. Got them all the way around and they sound wonderful. I've got the Fx93's in the back, and the RC 620(?) components in the doors. You'll need an amp, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts