Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Most Parts Places should have it sitting on their shelves. What I used was made by CRC and labeled "Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner". Just be sure to get what is specific for those sensors and not something like Carb Cleaner even if the Parts Guy trys to tell you it the same. :p

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I use/recommend the specific MAF cleaner,manufactured by CRC. I believe that it was purchased from NAPA.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Thank you very much...I knew u guys would point me on the right direction :) always appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
the reason to use the MAF cleaner is the electrical components will get damaged with other products.

carb cleaner will eat at the circuits and wiring plastics etc...

I never used electronic contact cleaner but it should work since it is made of solvents compatible with circuit boards and wiring.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
This is probably the most fickle (and fragile) sensor to clean. This is one place not to cut corners on. Sticker shock when you see how much that can of CRC MAF cleaner costs? Definitely. But well worth it and you'll have that can sitting on the shelf for use probably long past it's useful shelf life. If using cotton tips to clean sensors...easy and gentle does it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is probably the most fickle (and fragile) sensor to clean. This is one place not to cut corners on. Sticker shock when you see how much that can of CRC MAF cleaner costs? Definitely. But well worth it and you'll have that can sitting on the shelf for use probably long past it's useful shelf life. If using cotton tips to clean sensors...easy and gentle does it.
Sounds good bro, I'm defiantly going with the CRC ....thanks for all the input u guys. I don't know what I would do without y'all :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
I would not use a cotton swab. No matter how careful you are, the sensors are very fragile and should not be touched with anything but spray cleaner. You could also contaminate it with cotton fuzz from the swab. Sharp little edges of the sensor could grab onto the cotton and be difficult to remove.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
All too true and I don't endorse the practice myself, however there are enough stickies and info on the web alluding to people using a cotton swab. If done properly, it would make the removal of a stubborn deposit easier. The point being made is that all extraneous residue must come off and complete attention to the fragility of the sensors needs to be of paramount concern.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can touch the sensor all you want, it's really not that fragile. I've taken dozens of them apart and scraped the bars/resistors to get the built up crud off. Amazing how much better the car runs afterward. Just spraying Maf cleaner is a waste of time in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
+1

For a quick freshen-up, hit that bis'h with the carb cleaner and set it on the shelf to dry. Ain't hurt one yet. Now don't go all ham-handed in there, it is 'sensitive', but it's not frail.

$0.02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.