Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I need help asap as i think i may have ordered the wrong tire.

I just ordered 275/40/17 for the rear. I didn't go after 275/50/17 bc after reading on here i didn't think they made them. Should i cancel my order and get the 275/50's? I'm just worried the the car with look dumb with the ones i bought since it will still have the 255/50's up front.

· Registered
197 Posts
Your front 255/50-17's (assuming Impala SS OE 17" x 8.5" +6mm offset wheels) would be 27.1" tall.

The rear 275/40-17's (assuming Impala SS OE 17" x 8.5" +6mm offset wheels) that you ordered would be 25.7" tall.

Rear 275/50-17's (assuming Impala SS OE 17" x 8.5" +6mm offset wheels) would be 27.9" tall.

The above is according to the wheel / tire calculator at http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

You can't see stickied posts or old threads due to the mysql file being deleted by the company that hosts the forum.

See the top three posts at http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=41

I need help asap as i think i may have ordered the wrong tire.

I just ordered 275/40/17 for the rear. I didn't go after 275/50/17 bc after reading on here i didn't think they made them. Should i cancel my order and get the 275/50's? I'm just worried the the car with look dumb with the ones i bought since it will still have the 255/50's up front.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man i'm glad i looked into this more after my order. I cancelled that order and placed an order for some 285/40's for the rear and some 255/45's for the front. I only needed back tires but what the hell. for $476 for all 4 of those i'll take em.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well what i did was called discount tire and made them price match tire racks price. But here is where they try and get ya. depending on how much they have to lower their price they raise the installing fees to make up for it (the guy told me this) So order them through discount using tire racks amazing prices. Then go pick them up and go to the next tire store and have them installed for cheaper.

if you order straight from tire rack your gonna pay a high shipping price. When you trick Discount you get them shipped to the store for free since they think your going to install them there. So don't say your just gonna get them installed somewhere else until you go there to pay them. $476 is an awesome deal for Kuhmo ecsta asx's.

105 each for the fronts and 133 each for the rears. I had to cancel my order since the car is for sale and it really only needs two tires. Don't want to waste the money.

· Registered
358 Posts
I know you canceled your order. Just wanted to say if you are selling it, just stick with the stock 255-50-17's. The 285-40's are 1" shorter, and you don't want to bother with the added expense of programming to get the speedometer corrected if you are just selling it anyway.

· Registered
155 Posts
Not to thread jack but this seems like a good thread to use as the start for a sticky rebuild.

What is the widest rear tire you can run on a 17" wheel with open wheelwells?
Same question but with skirted wheelwells?
How bout those same 2 questions but on a 15" wheel?

I know the rear axle and wheel backspacing come into play, but for simplicity lets assume everything is centered perfectly on the car and you just want to jam a monster wheel in the back for a day at the track.

People should be able to use the info westSSdad posted to figure out the appropriate heights to keep the speedo right and the front to rear balanced.

· Premium Member
745 Posts

A 315/35 on a 17x11 wheel

· Premium Member
1,013 Posts

· Premium Member
1,013 Posts
No extra rubbing here. Just the normal rubbing on lock to lock.
Pretty sure there's a few with hotchkis springs and no problems

· Premium Member
5,630 Posts
Not to thread jack but this seems like a good thread to use as the start for a sticky rebuild.

What is the widest rear tire you can run on a 17" wheel with open wheelwells?
Same question but with skirted wheelwells?
How bout those same 2 questions but on a 15" wheel?

I know the rear axle and wheel backspacing come into play, but for simplicity lets assume everything is centered perfectly on the car and you just want to jam a monster wheel in the back for a day at the track.

People should be able to use the info westSSdad posted to figure out the appropriate heights to keep the speedo right and the front to rear balanced.

Widened Impala wheel to 17X10.5 with 315/35's on a 9C1 with a 3/4 inch spacer to bring wheel out to Impala rearend width, 275/40's up front

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.