Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 81 years old and my wife can't walk at all,to make my 95 wagon more dependable what would you replace at 130,000. I am doing the fuel filter,plug wires,plugs,coil,belt and alt. Oldhead

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Easier,and cheaper to replace parts as they wear out. You could replace every single part,and stuff will still come up...

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
fuel filter every 20K miles or 3 yrs ...when you fill the tank add 2 OZ of marvel mystery oil . the reduces fuel system damage .. protects injectors etc..pump..

plug wires / plugs do that when you replace water pump.always check WP weep hole for leak..

exhaust needs inspecting pipes hanger and other hardware. grease the front end twice a year.

do not replace alternator .. 200K unless you have high powered boom box ??? LOL..

replace battery if 5yrs old or more.

brakes need inspecting for rotor rust or pad wear binding . if rusted up clean or replace.

I also grease the front wheel bearings every 30K miles.

clean and spray the door rubbers with a silicone safe for rubber product.

check wheel wells for rust holes ..
change oil every 5K miles or once a year.use high quality oil filters pure one purolator IMO..

·
Registered
884 Posts
do not replace alternator ..
Without a reason a waste of time and money. I keep a used spare and will rebuild the one I have when necessary.

When I get a car without history I replace most fluids. Oil, axle oil.coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid. The last two I start by sucking out with a turkey baster then bleed the brakes when I have time. The transmission fluid and filter is a big debate topic but I have done it without trouble. Fluids are cheap. Wheel bearings.Engine belt if it is 5 years old or cracked. This is the only spare part(old one) I keep in the car. It is not worth a tow over a belt. PCV valve and air filter. Quality battery 5 years of daily driving.

Shocks unless they look brand new.

For me I have redone the suspension. (steering parts and coils) I like the crisp new car feel. But I do it myself as it can get expensive.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
He probably should have included that tidbit... Thanks...

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
hard start when wet out replace the coil and the ICM.
if the coil is OEM factory it is too old time to replace and the ICM ..
if it has rivets on it then it is original...

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Man you plumb dove into that one.

I am 81 years old and my wife can't walk at all,to make my 95 wagon more dependable what would you replace at 130,000. ..... Oldhead
Not quite sure the connection with your age or your wife's running speed. But she ain't got but 19 years left to hit the century mark. You should be asking HER what you should replace that old clattertrap 20+ year old rust bucket with! A post '10 CUV seems the best fit for ease of entry, dependable drive and depreciation.

As far as the wagon, if you're hellbent on sprucing it back up all at once just earmark $2,000 and replace any rubber or plastic hose, solenoid, ignition piece, and switch under the hood you lay eyes on. In 5-8 years you won't be able to do much heavy carwork anymore yourself, so whatever $$ are left over better do brand new discs, calipers and pads all around, even new hoses, plus frontend steering parts, legit $130 alignment, shocks and any type of fuel delivery service parts that're still original.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Hey ! My 95 wagon has 318,000 miles on the original engine and I love this car!!! I will co whatever it takes to keep her running. Of course I am only 65 and can still do some heavy lifting.

Veronica

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I am 81 years old and my wife can't walk at all,to make my 95 wagon more dependable what would you replace at 130,000. I am doing the fuel filter,plug wires,plugs,coil,belt and alt. Oldhead
Tires :grin2::wink2:

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
I'm leaning toward 1slows 2nd post response here. It's just too difficult to say based on mileage alone what should be replaced.

Having been in this situation myself, I just try and replace what fails when it fails. If other parts that are removed during the process seem suspect or are so difficult to do without tearing things apart again, then I may replace those parts as well depending on the cost.

Just stay up with Maintenance items and fluids and see what happens. I would highly recommend a Trans flush and filter change. Along with full coolant flush as well.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Hey ! My 95 wagon has 318,000 miles on the original engine and I love this car!!! I will co whatever it takes to keep her running. Of course I am only 65 and can still do some heavy lifting.

Veronica
your 65yr old woman and do all this nasty dirty work ? never see that in Massachusetts ..
the impala is a nice sedan for me very good ride and a lot of power .. comfortable ..
repair shops familiar with these do like the ease of repairs as the front end does not require removal..

81 yrs old I would get a new vehicle .. perhaps a toyota camry / avalon type ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts