Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I really new to the whole b-body thing, infact I don't even own one...yet.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before...but with years came with the LT1 engine?

I've seen some of the eariler years come with 5.0, but I'd rather have an LT1 to work off of.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All 1994 to 1996 Impala SS cars, (WX3 trim LT1 engine) (watch out for misrepresented clones)

A lot of 1994 to 1996 Caprice cars came with the LT1 also.

A lot of 1994 to 1996 Caprice cop cars too.

Some Fleetwoods came with the LT1

Wagons did too.

Look for LT1 on the trunk lid lable, (SPID lable) and look for "P" in the VIN, example, 1G1BL52POSRxxxxx (the 8th digit would be P for the LT1 engine)

Karl

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CAPRICE SEDAN
91-93 Caprice sedan
V8 5.0L 305cid L03 E
V8 5.7L 350cid L05 7
92 only? V6 4.3L 262cid LB4 vin code?

94-96 Caprice sedan
V8 4.3L 262cid L99 W
V8 5.7L 350cid LT1 P
V8 5.0L 305cid L03 E
V8 5.7L 350cid L05 7
94-96 Caprice wagon
V8 5.7L 350cid LT1 P
V8 5.7L 350cid L05 7
94-96 Fleetwood
V8 5.7L 350cid LT1 P
???
94-96 Roadmaster sedan and wagon
V8 5.7L 350cid LT1 P
V8 5.0L 305cid L03 E

I think that covers bubbles and the late D-body

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by 94cruiser:

94-96 caprice engine options
caprice sedan
4.3L 265cid L99 W
4.7L 350cid Lt1 P
Just wanted to point out the typo. The 350cid is a 5.7L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fixed
so now does anyone know what year the 4.3 V6 was available?
I think it was a 91 9c6 option, right?
what's the engine code and spid code to complete the list...?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
9C6 is the taxi option. 4.3 V6 was available from 85-90 (can't find any info that it was available in the 91-93 cars, but I think it might have been... someone else will know). I had a base model 88 with the 4.3 FI motor that I used to drive 150 miles a day round trip in. Bought it for 700, and drove it for three years. Good car...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen some GM publications that listed the V6 as an option... can't remember the details, tho. I have a feeling that it was one of the pre-production published options that never happened in the final run.

...Kind of like the 1996 Chevrolet colorchart I have that lists Granite Metallic as a color for the Impala SS instead of DGGM. GM changed back to DGGM just before the production run for 96 started.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope this all answers your question, "What years had LT1's?". ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by FakeSS:
I have seen some GM publications that listed the V6 as an option... can't remember the details, tho. I have a feeling that it was one of the pre-production published options that never happened in the final run.

...Kind of like the 1996 Chevrolet colorchart I have that lists Granite Metallic as a color for the Impala SS instead of DGGM. GM changed back to DGGM just before the production run for 96 started.
Granite Metallic was what they used for some of the Export Caprice SS and had thoughts of for the Impala SS. Instead it was offered on the Caprice. That's what mine was listed on the door sticker. The paint code calls it Marblehead Mettalic.
If you have the color chart listing the Granite for the SS I would really like to have a copy of that. Anyway you could forward me a copy? Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Karl Ellwein:
I hope this all answers your question, "What years had LT1's?". ;)
Actually Karl, you had some errors in your post. All 94-96 Fleetwoods had the LT1 and it was only about a 20% run of the non-WX3 Caprice cars that got the LT1, not a lot of them, plus all Roadmasters (94-96 of course).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fixed
what's the engine code and spid code to complete the list...?
I checked a 1992 brochure I have for the 9c6 option and the engine code is LB4 (4.3 Litre or 262 cu 145HP/220 Torque Ft.Lb.). Axle ratio was 3.08. Axle option GU4.

All '91-'93 9c6 were available with the TBI V6.

Hope this helps.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I updated the listing, now can anyone dig up what the early 90's fleetwod had? I would hope L05 was the only motor to move such heavy car,
additionaly it would be cool to get all the rear axle options, put it in and then create a
'ENGINE/DRIVETRAIN options' and made it sticky not just for the newbs.

;)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
'90-'92 Fleetwoods has the 305 LO3 as a std. engine (replacing the Olds 307) and the 350 LO5 as optional. '93's (last body style) could only be had with the LO5 350.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we need specs for the 91-93 Buick RM sedan and RM wagon
I don't know if the 350 was an option or standard

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we need specs for the 91-93 Buick RM sedan and RM wagon
I don't know if the 350 was an option or standard
IIRC all pre 94 RM sedans had a 350TBI. I think the first year Wagon might have had a 305TBI but I can't recall.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol wow, I wasn't expecting so much response.
I'd say my question was definitely answered.

I kinda figured the Impala SS had the LT1...and I'd kill for one, but all the ones in my area are waaaaaay out of my price range. After finding that out I figured I'd settle for a caprice, they're just as good and quite a bit cheaper. I threw around the idea of getting a wagon for a little while, but I think I'll just settle for a sedan.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea you can find a caprice with lt1 for ALOT cheaper then the impala ss. I've seen prices from 3500 to 6500-but you're getting a cop car. Expect it to be used as a cop car should be used. My 91 caprice is an ex cop car and the suspension is almost done. I have to replace everything, but it still has alot of time before any serious problems.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a 96 caprice B4u with an LT1 that is not a cop car and is fully loaded leather, cd, etc. :D

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Caprice Freak:
All '91-'93 9c6 were available with the TBI V6.
My parts CD suggests the V6 was a 92-93 thing, not available in 91.

And I think the 92 Olds CC was available with the L05.

I believe the only B or D bodies that could get the L05 in 1991 was a Fleetwood or 9C1. I do not think it was available on the RMs, RMWs, Olds CC, or civilian Caprice (including LTZ).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts