Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing a L99 to LT1 swap next week in a 95 Caprice 9c1 car. Im doing the lt1 trans also, which is the way to go? Take then out together and put them in together (engine and trans bolted toghther) or take each out one at a time and put the new in one at a time? I have done lots of engine and trans R and R , but never need to to both at the same time. Any info would be great. I have a overhead hoist and a shop full of air tools. Thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
I much prefer the complete assembly on these cars, yes.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
I've ended up with alot more tranny work than anything requiring pulling the engine, so I've gotten good at just yanking the tranny. But I always leave both together if I'm taking out both anyway.

Especially since both out/both in I call breaking & making the connections will be way easier standing up than laying down. ;)

I'm sure you know if you decide on installing them separate then you'll be doing the double 12" extensions with u-joint" for those top bellhousing bolts. Also, the driver's side firewall is real tight at the bellhousing and you'll end up beating the offending flange back for wrench clearance there - that is if you don't remember to "droop" the tranny down a little for more room.

Air wrench is perfect for those dam rusted triple exhaust manifold stud-nuts. But start daily PB Blaster doses too about a week early eh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts