Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 imp DCM and the motor has 178,000 on the clock, it was oil deprived from a leak, and has a light knock at start up, then it simmers down. Whats the best solution.

I have found a used "complete motor" at my buddys salvage yard with 59,000 on the clock for $750 or one with 89,000 on the clock for $600.

Or should I take my black out and re-gasket the motor, replace the main and rod bearings, oil pump and son.

Or I found a company called Gator Engines that has reman LT1's for $1700 delivered... (3 yr warranty)

But in your experiences with the LT1 what is the best route, the block I have does not smoke or anything. It starts but knocks. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

PS- On my 96 I went with a Jasper block (in 07' EXPENSIVE) but it runs like a top!

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
With the engine knocking there might be chance of having to get the bolck/bore machined,that will cost more and be more time consuming then just getting a yard engine.Your also taking a chance with the yard engine but those come with enough warranty to find out if they are good..

So if nothing is wrong with your block,I would just fix that one,if there is damage to the block,I would go with the yard engine..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try increasing the viscosity in your oil maybe run some motor hunny and blow the carbon out. Unless your lossing compression or you have the knock/shake of death there is still time on your block. Older motors get "chatty" but if you still have the same performance and no "desiling" you dont have to jump on a new motor.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
I had a 'cold lifter' fifst crop up last winter in the mornings at ~165k. It went away as it got warmer out. I'm looking forward to it again in a feww months.

Rods do sound diff than a lifter, but best to locate the real source of the noise as close as possible for best planning.

The yard motors are an easy out regardless.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definately a rod knocking.

Just think Im going with the yard block. The guy that had this car just wasnt taking care of her. She WILL RIDE AGAIN!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
After 2 bad experiences, I will never trust a salvage yard engine ever again, without complete disassembly, cleaning and machining as needed. Those cars don't end up in salvage yards for no reason, and sitting around for who knows how long with who knows what exposure to the elements is not kind to precision machined parts. Be sure there's a warranty, and keep your old engine as a rebuildable spare.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The two blocks that freddys has

Both the blocks were pulled and shelved after pulling them, I trust Freddy and his word has always been good to me. Both the blocks actually came out of Buick Roadmasters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.