Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats The Difference Between Heads LT4 Alu Heads from '96 Corvette Grand Sport And My 94 Impala SS Heads Beside Them Being Aluminum What Gains Would I get Out Of them On My Impala If Any Or Should I Just Get My Own Set And Get Em Did ????? IE Mike Harris Heads And Cam Kit Or LE Stage 2 Heads

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
As I understand it, the only advantage they have is, being alum. they are easier to mod....I.E. port & polish & a few lbs lighter....that is all.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I just noticed this in Sherlock's stickie in the problems/maint. section;
http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

It compares the two vette LTs, but I figure there's crossover to a B-body.
Reader beware!
Be careful what you read on that site. Of specific note is the screwed up info on the intake manifold comparo.
The original info, from several years back was little more than regurgatated info from GM press releases. It doesn't take a genius to realize content of their press releases may not be accurate, especially the more technical info.

A few years back I got the site owner to modify his wording to the degree that it became more accurate, though he chose to not use the more definitive wording I suggested. Nonetheless it was an improvement in accuracy. Since then, as I read his wording now from the link provided above, he has since altered his description once more to the point it is now virtually useless as far a credible and accurate info. He went from bad to improved and back to (and then some) to worse. The info is conflicting, confusing, and ultimately inaccurate. I'm convinced there are those that refuse to be educated. If the wording that is now being used on that site is not what the site owner had intended, then he should have proof read the content and made corrections accordingly. It should be noted that unlike books, website content is not peer reviewed. Accuracy is not guaranteed!

EDIT:
BTW, Gregg-O's post has virtually NO accurate content either. But as alluded to in the above paragraph, it is no wonder, what with the inaccurate content offered on some sites that is accepted as fact with not a shred of verification. To make matters worse, the 'parrots' (especially the mega-post guru types on this auto forum) will repeat it and WALA! it is now considered indisputable fact.

Gregg, it is understandable if you feel I stepped on your toes. However, I call 'em like I see (and read) 'em.
It takes little effort to be a 'parrot' but major effort to research and verify the info they choose to repeat.

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
EDIT:
BTW, Gregg-O's post has virtually NO accurate content either. But as alluded to in the above paragraph, it is no wonder, what with the inaccurate content offered on some sites that is accepted as fact with not a shred of verification. To make matters worse, the 'parrots' (especially the mega-post guru types on this auto forum) will repeat it and WALA! it is now considered indisputable fact.
[email protected]' post has virtually NO useful information as (once again) he does not explain WHY Gregg-O's post is inaccurate, just that it is. It is no wonder then, why 99% of the so called parrots flush anything TAKN2XSS types right down the virtual toilet because [email protected] does not ever actually supply the supposed correct information. No one is even sure whether or not TAKN2XSS owns a b-body or even a driver's license because he has never posted anything related to said items. He only offers condescending remarks and how he dreams of being a moderator and being able to ban everyone on the forum.

TAKN2XSS, it is understandable if you feel like I've stepped on your toes. However, I call them like I see them. It takes very little effort to be an on-line know-it-all, but major effort to actually substantiate said claims.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
[email protected]' post has virtually NO useful information as (once again) he does not explain WHY Gregg-O's post is inaccurate, just that it is. It is no wonder then, why 99% of the so called parrots flush anything TAKN2XSS types right down the virtual toilet because [email protected] does not ever actually supply the supposed correct information.......
YOU LEAVE GARY ALONE :mad: !!!!!

He's the smartest sh!t-head on the forum.......just ask him ;) !

KW

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
[email protected]' post has virtually NO useful information as (once again) he does not explain WHY Gregg-O's post is inaccurate, just that it is. It is no wonder then, why 99% of the so called parrots flush anything TAKN2XSS types right down the virtual toilet because [email protected] does not ever actually supply the supposed correct information. No one is even sure whether or not TAKN2XSS owns a b-body or even a driver's license because he has never posted anything related to said items. He only offers condescending remarks and how he dreams of being a moderator and being able to ban everyone on the forum.
Kid, there is no educating someone as incorrigible as yourself. No to be accused of singling you out, you can invite KW in the same boat as you. It is stated ignorance is bliss but stupidity, well, difficult to fight it as my experience here has showed.

For someone that has not been on this forum as long as I have to become familiar with the facts of the matter, you sure think you know a lot to grant you the right to criticize. To respond to your poorly thought out and twisted post see words hi-lited in red which will be addressed in the order they were used.

To the contrare, the info is useful in that it attempts to note the info previously presented in this thread is false. That in itself is useful.
Step one is to identify and not accept inaccurate info as such.

Because of my background I have the skill and technical ability to accurately compare components of each along with actually having those parts in front of me to work with. If I had a nickel for each attempt on this forum to straighten out LT4/1 comparo info I'd have at least an extra quarter in my pocket. In the past I have gone to great lengths taking a great amount of time to explain and straighten out the confusion and misinformation. In the past I was very dedicated to make the effort on not just this site, but others as well, along with the effort to straighten out the source. As I do not subscribe to the 'parroting' of hearsay info that is so rampant on this out of control forum, the reader can consider what I post factual and accurate unless I myself correct it. Fortunately, other forums have been more receptive. On this forum site it has obviously been for naught!!! You'd think a forum would be grateful for someone taking the pains to make that kind of effort. Obviously, NOT this forum!!! Can I give you (and KW) some credit for that? Also, thanks to the likes of you (and KW) the incentive has dissipated.

As far as flushing my post info down the toilet, which I consider a classic case of cutting off the nose to spite one's face, if it were not done so in the past, I would not have had to repeat myself in attempting corrections as often as I have. Therein is the lack of incentive to do so yet AGAIN at this time, according to you it goes in the toilet anyway, so why should I bother.

As far as my owning a b-body, is it really necessary? As far as a driver's license is concerned, in the city where I worked a driver's (and vehicle license) apparently are not uniformly necessary. As a side note, apparently license to operate a school bus is not mandatory either. :( Following one while picking up or dropping off kids was proof enough for me.

Any of my posts can be received as constructive depending on how mature and secure the reader is and whether he is reading to be entertained or educated.

Be thankful I'm not a moderator. Your past belligerence and profanity would not have been well received.

Your use of the word "everyone" show your lack of self control. I know of no absolutes in this plane of existence.

He's the smartest sh!t-head on the forum.......just ask him!
I agree there is a large separation/disparity between you and I. However, it is not due to my being extremely smart, just that you are that lacking.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.......I agree there is a large separation/disparity between you and I......
Admit what you will, but you're still the smartest (and only) sh!t-head on the forum ;) .

...........just that you that lacking.
Whatever the f*ck that's supposed to mean :rolleyes: .

KW

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Whats The Difference Between Heads LT4 Alu Heads from '96 Corvette Grand Sport And My 94 Impala SS Heads.....
Primarily.......LT4 heads have:

Smaller Combustion Chambers for higher compression ratio;
Larger Intake & Exhaust Ports to facilitate greater air flow;
Larger Intake & Exhaust Vavles to facilitate greater air flow;
Raised Intake Ports which most agree make them somewhat incompatable with the LT1 intake manifold.

FWIW.....most who have actually HAD LT4 heads on a 350ci LTx engine will tell you that the heads are NOT ideal for a 350ci engine in a 4400 LB B-body.

It's a smarter move to get aluminum LT1 heads and have them ported by someone who knows what they're doing ;) !

KW

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
There is no educating someone as incorrigible as yourself.
cwm2 Pretty poor excuse for not being able to actually explain why the post you said was incorrect was incorrect.

To respond to your poorly thought out post
cwm2cwm2 My post mirrored yours in format and tone. Pot, meet kettle.

To the contrare, the info is useful in that it attempts to note the info previously presented in this thread is false. That in itself is useful.
Wrong, smarty pants. If person # 1 says 2 + 2 = 4, and you say "NO IT DOESN'T" without explaining why, then that is not an acceptable form of rebuke. True to your usual monomaniacal form, you assume the fact that YOU said so is good enough. The real world works different outside the bunker you live in.
Step one is to identify and not accept inaccurate info as such.
Like watching a You Tube video made by a 15 year claiming the government is responsible for 9/11?

Because of my background I have the skill and technical ability to accurately compare components of each along with actually having those parts in front of me to work with.
so you say. Prove it.
In the past I have gone to great lengths taking a great amount of time to explain and straighten out the confusion and misinformation. In the past I was very dedicated to make the effort on not just this site, but others as well, along with the effort to straighten out the source.
Let me guess: More lengthy ululating about someone being wrong about something that you cannot articulate.

.Fortunately, other forums have been more receptive.
Then go to them and don't look back.

You'd think a forum would be grateful for someone taking the pains to make that kind of effort. Obviously, NOT this forum!!! Can I give you (and KW) some credit for that?
LOL if I could find a post where you actually provide real information and not just blathering on...

Also, thanks to the likes of you (and KW) the incentive has dissipated.
Typical: blame big bad forum members who have dealt with your abrasive, condescending crap for a long time and are tired of it. Take a look in the mirror for a change.

As far as flushing my post info down the toilet, if it were not done so in the past, I would not have had to repeat myself in attempting corrections as often as I have. Therein is the lack of incentive to do so yet AGAIN at this time, according to you it goes in the toilet anyway, so why should I bother.
So why bother posting at all with a half-ass rebuke? You must get some pleasure out of it.

As far as my owning a b-body, is it really necessary? As far as a driver's license is concerned, in the city where I worked a driver's (and vehicle license) apparently are not uniformly necessary. As a side note, apparently license to operate a school bus is not mandatory either. :( Following one while picking up or dropping off kids was proof enough for me.
so a whole paragraph of nothing to say "No."

Any of my posts can be received as constructive depending on how mature and secure the reader is and whether he is reading to be entertained or educated.
LOL even the most successful, hardest of hardcore gearheads here think you're a pompous bag. it has nothing more to do than providing knowledge, and not tirades. Just the facts jack, of which who have provided none.

Be thankful I'm not a moderator. Your past belligerence and profanity would not have been well received.
cwm2cwm2 keeping dreaming, maybe one day.

Your use of the word "everyone" show your lack of self control. I know of no absolutes in this plane of existence.
I know of one, you're an absolute tool.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.........Wrong, smarty pants. If person # 1 says 2 + 2 = 4, and you say "NO IT DOESN'T" without explaining why, then that is not an acceptable form of rebuke. True to your usual monomaniacal form, you assume the fact that YOU said so is good enough. The real world works different outside the bunker you live in.......
NOOOOOOOOOOO, YOU LEAVE GARY ALONE :mad: !!!!!!!!!

He the smartest sh!t head on the Forum, Buh!

And the simple fact that I said so makes it true :p ........ cwm2

So leave him alone!!!!!!!!

KW

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Primarily.......LT4 heads have:

Smaller Combustion Chambers for higher compression ratio;
Larger Intake & Exhaust Ports to facilitate greater air flow;
Larger Intake & Exhaust Vavles to facilitate greater air flow;
Raised Intake Ports which most agree make them somewhat incompatable with the LT1 intake manifold.

FWIW.....most who have actually HAD LT4 heads on a 350ci LTx engine will tell you that the heads are NOT ideal for a 350ci engine in a 4400 LB B-body.

It's a smarter move to get aluminum LT1 heads and have them ported by someone who knows what they're doing ;) !

KW
Perfect. That's the net positive takeaways for me. It explains perfectly why I've never seen a lemmings rush to the sea attitude take hold for LT4's in our cars. thanks. I notice you make distinction with poor performance using an LT1 intake. Does an LT4 intake with LT4 heads result in measurable upgrade, or is the whole LT4 thing still an excercize in marginal return?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@KW Baraka Thanks For The Info
@ 96 Black I Was Wondering The Same Question
@DiGGM95 I Know Right This Thread Just Got All Out Of Control SMH

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Whats The Difference Between Heads LT4 Alu Heads from '96 Corvette Grand Sport And My 94 Impala SS Heads Beside Them Being Aluminum What Gains Would I get Out Of them On My Impala If Any Or Should I Just Get My Own Set And Get Em Did ????? IE Mike Harris Heads And Cam Kit Or LE Stage 2 Heads
YES a Classic Question of LT1/LT4 owners.

The LT4 heads are the last GM Design for the SBC before they went to the new LSx engines.

LT4 Heads require the matching LT4 Intake.

The LT4 head out-flows the LT1 AL and FE Heads.
BUT
the LT1 Iron out-flows the LT1 Aluminum in stock configuration.

HotCam, LT4 Heads and Intake were the desired hot setup 10 years ago.

NO doubt, LT4's are great Heads.
But a set of used LT4 Heads will require a good porting and rebuild, including Guides and Seats.

For a not a lot more money you can get far better performing ready to run Heads.

It is all about Boom-for the Buck.
and
what budget are you on?

FWIW if you are determined to have LT4 Heads.
Send them to a good machinist and get a cost to refurbish.
Be sure to let him know what cam you are using.
The Stock Springs are barely OK for the Street Cam but not an aftermarket cam.

Dan

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,205 Posts
Dan, please qualify that statment, because for the average person, it will depend on whether you will port the manifold or not.
In lieu of that, and taking the statement at face value, please show proof to support that statement. No, copy and paste of someone else's printed word or parroting someone's post is NOT proof. Proof, as in the form of pics and dimensions/measurements that will
support your claim. Otherwise and AFAIC, you are just spreading more misinformation or at the very least, adding to the flames of confusion.

BTW Dan, you've been on this forum as long as I've been. You must have saved for reference (or at least read one (or more) of my several posts explaining the LT1/4 manifold/head comparo data. Why? Because you should have recognized it as being the most
accurate and factual info you could have posssibly have gotten your hands on.
Gary be careful you might sprain your shoulder patting yourself on the back!

YOU'RE THE BEST!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I can supply some clarification info.
Pictures taken today.

LT4 aluminum head:

notice the small notch on top of the port for the higher injector position.(measurement not taken at the notch)

LT1 iron head:

And an LT1 intake gasket:

I'l go digging in my pile o' stuff for an LT1 intake to measure.

some good cross section photos here:
http://www.malcams.com/legacy/misc/LT4.htm

·
Registered
546 Posts
LT1 intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Gary be careful you might sprain your shoulder patting yourself on the back!
I call 'em the way I see 'em. Is that how you interpreted my post? How unfortunate! Your post is proof this forum is more concerned with (perceived) attitude than it is with the info contained in the post. Note, it is no skin off my nose if this site insists on continuing to accept BS as fact or willing to change and accept the experience and skill of yours truly. Also, ironic as I just had my shoulder adjusted recently. As I do not need the additional expense of an unnecessary chiro appointment, should I delete the post? Your the moderator, your call.

BTW, attempting to determine whether or not Dan is among the (so called) 99%.

I can supply some clarification info.
Pictures taken today.
Nice pics Dave, but how does your post/pics substantiate the requirement to use the LT4 manifiold on the LT4 heads?

EDIT: BK, I made the call for you. That way I have alleviated the possibility of an undesirable sublaxation.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Back to some technical aspects of the topic....

Regardless of port area differences, a few facts....in addition to the pics from Dave and other info posted:

LT1--both Fe and Al--had 1.94" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves

LT4--2.00" intake and 1.55" exhaust valves - exhaust was lightweight, don't recall specs on intake valve

LT4--net-lash (non-adjustable) 1.6:1 roller rocker arms

As already mentioned, combustion chamber size & shape (and compression ratio) was different between the 3 LT head variants.

Not directly head-related:
LT4--6400 RPM redline

LT4--used larger fuel injectors (27# vs 24#?) - if someone knows, post it

LT4--used single row roller timing chain for friction reduction

LT4--used unique cam profile, but it was weak (for certification purposes) compared to many aftermarket cams available today--not to mention valve spring developments since 1995 when this engine was created (for 1996 model year).

Conclusion--the heads are not going to set the world on fire without some work. The ultimate power available from an OE head (ported or stock) may or may not be achieved with LT4 heads, since there are so many more people working with the much more common LT1 head.

Whether it's to be able to brag about having LT4 heads as part of a combination, or a belief that the production LT4 head will always beat an LT1 head "by the numbers", or something else that I'm missing--it seems that there's not much enthusiasm for the LT4, a one-year wonder.

Examples from Edelbrock--probably the lowest common denominator when it comes to cylinder heads:

Manifold - PERFORMER RPM AIR-GAP

Heads - RPM Xtreme LT4

1 - 20 of 39 Posts