Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the stickys, but can anyone explain to me the difference from tri y's and regular longtube headers? I'm mainly concerned with the performance of them. I realize one might have a better coating on them than the other but. Other than that whats the difference? Especially in the price .

·
Registered
581 Posts
Try-Y headers are just that in the shape of 3 Y's, 2 Y's per header connecting two cylinders together which then the bottoms of the Y's merge together to form a 3rd Y. Traditional headers have the headers which all merge into one 4 to 1 header collector. Just a different design both have their pro's and cons and both will require replacing the catalytic converters(which in itself may not be a bad idea after 16 years on the road). - Peter

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I've read the stickys, but can anyone explain to me the difference from tri y's and regular longtube headers?
Although the Tri-Y's mentioned here could be more accurately described as mid-length headers, they (tri-Y's) are a type of long tube header. There is no difference, but rather a sub-genre. Another type would be Quad-1's. Both types are described in good detail by Peter.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although the Tri-Y's mentioned here could be more accurately described as mid-length headers, they (tri-Y's) are a type of long tube header. There is no difference, but rather a sub-genre. Another type would be Quad-1's. Both types are described in good detail by Peter.
T

Is it that much of a performance difference between Tri-y's and regular longtubes

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
T

Is it that much of a performance difference between Tri-y's and regular longtubes
There's not a whole lot of difference if you have a stock displacement LT1.

Larger displacement engines with good flowing heads and an aggressive cam usually benefit more from the long tube headers.

KW

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
What about differance between Tri-Y's and SLP's (shorties)? Sorry for the thread jack. -Josh

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think one of the advertised benefits of the Tri-Y headers is they are supposed to offer improved scavenging to help get the exhaust out of the engine quicker by using the exhaust flow from one cylinder to pull the exhaust flow from another cylinder and visa-versa and then having the 2 Y's scavenge from each other. Starting to get into too technical details there, but from what I have read that is what they are supposed to do. - Peter

·
Registered
260 Posts
question. I have a stock engine and I have the afterburners-will there be much of a difference with those? I have corvette cats and a pipes X-pipe with dynomax catback

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
You probably won't feel much of a difference. Corvette cats?, How much HP are they worth?

·
Registered
260 Posts
iono to be honest-havent installed them yet but the guy who works on my car told me to go with them. He works on alot of chevy's, mustangs and big bodies so I trust him. I dont race but I am actually thinking of going for 400-500 HP in my DD when I get back. These days 300 aint much-I think I wanna stay around 400HP though because I still like to keep my ride driveable for road trips to chicago and texas

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
LOL.....Yes, I was being sarcastic.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
LOL.....Yes, I was being sarcastic.
I know ;) .....but the guy with the Corvette cats needed to know what to expect :( .

KW

·
Registered
260 Posts
im not sure why he wanted to go with vette cats-he works at O'reily's and im thinking thats probably all they have there that would fit from the dynomax catback to the afterburners. I have a pipes x-pipe too-will the cats make that much of a difference HP wise? I didnt think that they would. Im not racing I just like to have a lil speed on par-im actually thinking of going to 400-450Hp on my DD but im not sure how reliable it would be unless I did an LS engine-I hit the highway alot going to ga, FL, chicago and texas-and dont wanna have any issues

·
Registered
654 Posts
Im not racing I just like to have a lil speed on par-im actually thinking of going to 400-450Hp on my DD but im not sure how reliable it would be unless I did an LS engine-I hit the highway alot going to ga, FL, chicago and texas-and dont wanna have any issues
i can tell you that my car with all of my upgrades is making somewhere between 400-450 hp (estimated. I havent been to a dyno or track yet until i get the new converter in it). i did a complete top end, cam and all the bolt ons and it is extremely reliable. one of the biggest surprises of the whole swap to me was not the hp or the hp delivery, but the actual driveability of it all. it drives so well that i can barely tell it has all those mods done to it. aside from using a sh*t ton more gas than before, i am actually considering driving it more and more now. i think the reliability is all in the cam selection and the tune. i was told by many that the 503 cam was the biggest cam anyone would want to run on a daily driver and still have "stock" characteristics and i believe it now. i would say that you probably go to a slightly bigger cam and still be able to have the car drive normal, but its all in the tune.

·
Registered
260 Posts
great I was hoping that would be attainable and drive great. what engine do you have? Trans? Only mods I have done so far are the K&N, Dynomax Catback, Pipes X-pipe and 4.10s, I have the 54MM throttle body waiting to go in and afterburner headers waiting to go in, im actually thinking of going with Tri-Ys but we will see. I havent decided which Cam, converter or heads yet. I guess a shift kit will be appropriate as well. suspension I will be putting the factory SS springs back on, I have Bilstein shocks, new tie rods, sway bar is good-I have new ball joints-the poly ones, thinkin about the bump stops, I have extended control arms in the back due to the 24s. Im gonna get the pro mags and beehives soon and I cant think of much else right now other than gettin it tuned up. Am I missing anything?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.....im actually thinking of going to 400-450Hp on my DD but im not sure how reliable it would be......
Reliability primarily has to do with the parts used and the skill on the builders/installers.

My stroker engine output is appox 500 HP & 535 TQ......engine has about 100K miles since being stroked. I'd say that MTI did a pretty good job puttin' it together :) .

i can tell you that my car with all of my upgrades is making somewhere between 400-450 hp (estimated.......
Based off previous experience, I'd say about 420 HP at the engine.

KW

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
one of the biggest surprises of the whole swap to me was not the hp or the hp delivery, but the actual driveability of it all. it drives so well that i can barely tell it has all those mods done to it. .
That us usually the result of a nice, fairly flat torque curve.

I'll bet KW's 396 makes a ton of TQ over a surprisingly wide RPM range....unless he went for max peak HP & TQ.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.......I'll bet KW's 396 makes a ton of TQ over a surprisingly wide RPM range....unless he went for max peak HP & TQ.
The full dyno info was lost in the great Forum crash of 2009......and I can't find the hard copy of the dyno sheet :( ......but as I recall; Over 400 ft/lb torque at the wheels from below 3K RPMs all the way up to about 5K RPMs.

C'mon, Gregg.......you know torque is the name of the game ;) !

KW

·
Registered
654 Posts
great I was hoping that would be attainable and drive great. what engine do you have? Trans?
Well, i have a stock lt1 350 with edelbrock lt4 rpm xtreme top end kit, 58mm throttle body, comp 503 cam, 1.6 rockers, 30 lb ford motorsports red top injectors, full msd ignition, pcmforless tune, 10" 3000 stall converter, 373 gears, tri y gen II headers w/ high flow cats, dynomax ultraflo ss exhaust system with x pipe, stock tranny with transgo hd2 shift kit with 1 washer installed, and a few other odds and ends (coolant bypass, etc.). like KW said, i probably makes about 420-425 hp which is in the 400-450 range i was shooting for. i decided to go with that because it would be easy to make that power on these cars with the stock shortblock and still maintain stock driving characteristics. also, i dont think that i will instantly destroy my tranny just driving it around town and cruising and stuff with the amount of power its making. basically, i just wanted to make the car into what it shouldve been from the factory...a great handling, comfortable, low 13 second 1/4 mile car. i love how it drives now. its everything i thought it would be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts