Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
It looks wrong, but they designed it so the cable just rubs against the floor pan.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
That is some impressive rust! Is that an A-arm bar trying to erode in half? It looks like the perfect candidate for one of those spray oil varnish protectants.

·
Registered
1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is some impressive rust! Is that an A-arm bar trying to erode in half? It looks like the perfect candidate for one of those spray oil varnish protectants.
It's almost all surface rust. When I first saw it before buying it, the rust almost scared me off. But when I had a closer look, it turned out to be really solid. Even that A-arm bar is fine. What you're seeing is a ton of crap and dirt glued to surface rust. A quick hammer blow reveals beautiful, solid metal underneath. I'm looking forward to sandblasting as much of it as I can and painting it all with POR-15

·
Premium Member
5,143 Posts
almost all surface rust.
You're not from Arizona are you ? ;);)
Have a look at the inside rear inner wheel wells, they are notorious because there are 3 layers that moisture gets up in.
Mine looked nothing like that when I got it and when I pulled the frame, it was paper thin under the body mounts already

Good deal that line has been done, and the one I saw is not in use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're not from Arizona are you ? ;);)
LOL! Here in northern Vermont, we call that "patina". On a car this old, this kind of oxidation is considered light. Every factory-original bolt so far has come out without breaking and has been re-usable. That's downright miraculous.

·
Super Moderator
8,498 Posts
I would skip POR-15, and just use a creeping oil-based undercoating like Fluid Film, applied regularly. I used to live in Syracuse, NY, and I tried completely POR-15ing two southern cars when I first moved up there. It did nothing. One pinhole and moisture goes right through, and you never know until a whole section of POR-15 just falls off. Also beware of other rust-proofing, because they'll break down all the rubber bushings, seals and weatherstripping. Found that out the hard way too.

Eventually I just sprayed used motor oil mixed with ATF all over the car in October, then drove down dusty roads for an hour. Worked as well as anything else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I've learned some lessons about POR-15 over the decades of working with it. You're right, if it's applied in a way that allows moisture to get through and spread, it can be a disaster. One of the things I learned early on is that if it's applied too thick or too quickly between layers, you get a lot of solvent pop which leads to pinholes, and the layers adhere more to each other than to the base metal which allows moisture and air to spread underneath.

I apply very thin coats, especially for the first one. And I wait for each coat to get rid of all its solvents before applying the next one. And I NEVER apply it to rusty metal like they brag about. Only to recently-sandblasted surfaces. I also follow all the "cleaner" and "prep" guidelines with their specific products.

I've got a 2001 Audi A4 TDI wagon as a daily driver that I POR-15'd many years ago (subframes, wheel bearing housings, all control arms, etc). Meanwhile, I left all the body panel rust in place 🤣 To this day, mechanics dread working on it when they see it, then their eyes light up when it goes up on the lift and they can't believe how clean and new it looks under there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts